15.6" Windows 8.1 Laptop made by HP / Intel core i7 processor x360 TouchSmart

My computer only works while the charger is pluged in.

I can only get my computer to work if I have it plugged in. Do I need to replace the battery?

Yes you will need to replace the battery. Since you are able to use your laptop when it is plugged-in, it is a great indicator that your charger adapter is not the issue. Make absolutely sure your computer is turned off. Remove the back cover of the laptop by unscrewing the screws and gently lifting the cover up. Locate the battery which is usually a relatively large rectangular shape device and replace it with a known working one. If this does not work, there might be an issue with the actual wires inside the laptop. If that is the case you will need to either send it back or see if a local electronic store can do something with it.

That would be the best guess. It is possible that there is another board failure preventing the battery from receiving the charge but a bad batter is the most likely failure here.

Before you decide to give up on your battery and get a new one, there might be a chance that you finished using up every last ounce of energy in your battery and it didn't get time to charge again :)

Your laptop generally tries to charge the battery + run on power when it's connected to a power adapter. What's happening now is, the battery is not getting charged (actually, it's not getting detected) and your laptop thinks there's no battery and is simply running on power.

A new battery will of course have some charge and your laptop will be very happy with it and keeping charging it.

This is the 3rd time I'm writing this instruction today:

> Remove the battery and kill the static energy in your laptop by holding down the power button for 20 seconds.

> With the battery still removed, plug in the adapter and turn on the power.

> Your laptop starts working now.

> Now here's the tricky part - Insert the battery 'after' you've powered on the laptop. Now your laptop will detect the battery and start charging it.

Hope this helps! :)

James will be eternally grateful.