Hewlett-Packard began manufacturing personal laptop computers in 1993.

My battery is 0%, plugged but not charging - Windows 7

Hi guys,

I need your help.

I am using HP Pavilion laptop and it has windows 7. It gives me error, battery plugged in but not charging.

I have tried to uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method and then tried to update the driver, but on no avail. It's not a hardware problem. Battery is new.

I can't remove charging pin because my battery is at 0%.

Need assistance.

Most Helpful Answer

Your battery needs 'some' charge in it before it gets detected and used by your laptop.

Remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to remove and static energy and then connect the adapter and power on your laptop without the battery. Now when the laptop is running, insert the battery (don't worry, it's not dangerous). Now your battery will get detected and start charging.

Reason for this happening:

Your laptop adapter powers your laptop+charges a low power battery. Unless it detects the battery (which it doesn't when it's at 0%) it doesn't charge it.

Thankyou Sam! it is helpful.

Your solution worked. Thank you.

hi, I did as you said, at first it charged for 3 seconds! but suddenly it stopped charging as before. Then I did you recommendation again and it charged again for 3 seconds! and suddenly stopped charging. what should I do? (my battery was completely healthy before this respectively)

the solution is not working what should I do?

This solution doesn't always work. Like, if you have an old battery, you will definitely need to get a replacement (don't try opening it up and charging it manually as it's risky even if you're experienced). I have a 10 year old laptop that would work with the above method earlier, but since the past 5 years, needs a replacement.

Try getting a 3rd party battery that comes with a year warranty if the model is no longer available from the OEM.

It's not working for me

It worked! Thanks a lot.

Have you tried a Live CD for like Ubuntu or some other Linux Version. Try that to see if it charges the battery or not. If it doesn't you might have gotten a bad New battery, or worse your laptops charging circuits might be fried.

DarkSide will be eternally grateful.