iPhone 6 won't charge after ifixit battery replacement!

My phone won't power on after finishing the battery replacement. I carefully made sure all connectors were not bend and snapped back into place firmly and evenly including the battery connector. When I press the power or home button I see a battery icon on the screen with a few red bars. If the iPhone is NOT plugged into the charger a lightening cable and lightening bolt icon also appears; when plugged in only the red battery icon shows. I've left it plugged in for about 10 minutes and nothing has changed. Typically when my battery is dead and i plug the iPhone in it starts up within a couple minutes. Sadly I didn't test this before sticking the new battery in place and don't have spare adhesive strips. How do I troubleshoot and fix this problem? Did I get a bad replacement battery or is something else wrong? This is obviously very frustrating as my phone is now out of commission!

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Dave,

We emailed you back from the customer support email address, so go ahead and respond to that and we'll get you taken care of.

Service like this is why I always recommend people use iFixit for parts. Yea, you can save a couple bucks buying from some no name ebay seller but iFixit has rock star service after the sale.

It can take well over 10 minutes to start off a completely dead battery. I would think iFixit batteries would come charged, but you never know. If it shows its charging(aka no lightning bolt on screen) then you should be good. Just wait like an hour and see.

If still no go, then you may want to check how many amps it is drawing from usb port by splitting one of the wires apart and hooking each end to a probe on your multimeter, then measure amperage. You may also want to check voltage of battery, and or the voltage of batt. terminals on phone.

Just to be sure I didn't mess anything up on reassembly I took the phone apart again and inspected both the old and new battery connectors and the socket on the phone. They all looked perfect with no signs of damage. I connected the old battery, which was fully charged, and the phone booted. The screen, home button, digitizer, and cameras all worked perfectly.

I connected it to a regulated power supply with an amp meter reading. When first plugged in it shows 0.250 amps, then slowly drops off and holds steady at 0.127 amps. By comparision an iPhone 5 at 32% draws 1.05 amps and an iPad Mini at 75% charged draws 1.75 amps. When unplugged it shows 0.000 amps. I will leave it plugged in for an hour to see what happens, but the low rate of draw doesn't look good to me.

Low rate does not look good at all. What is current draw charging the old battery that the phone boots with?

Current draw after 4 hours dropped to 0.015 amp, battery is still dead and phone won't boot. I think the battery is a dud. I don't have time tonight to put the old one back in and test current draw. Need to figure out how to hold the old battery in and get a working phone again.

@cvneutron Are you seeing an uptick in issues with iFixit iPhone batteries? I've seen a couple of questions lately with some issues with iPhone batteries.

Haven't seen a whole lot to be of concern. But it sounds like this is a defective battery. We're trying to stay on top of the issue(s) we do see, so when possible having that Part ID helps us figure out where it came from.

Roger that. I know problems usually come in batches, so I figured you would know a lot more than me dinking around on the answers forum.

I had the exact same problem, albeit with an iPhone 6 plus.

Stuck at 1-2%, won't charge.

Tried charging it in airplane mode, overnight.

Tried charging it with the phone turned off, overnight.

Nothing works.

I tried the "heat the battery" approach recommended in other articles here but that didn't make a difference either. My old battery is back in my phone and a replacement is coming.

Dave Brennan will be eternally grateful.