LG's flagship smartphone, with a unique slide-out battery and detachable I/O module supporting multiple hardware expansion options. Released in April 2016.

Rear-facing camera won't focus

The rear-facing 16MP camera (not the wide angle) will no longer focus. I've tried all the usual software fixes (factory reset, etc.). I can actually hear a mechanism inside the phone "trying" to focus, but it seems to be locked into the nearest focal point.

Before I send this thing back for warranty replacement (which involves fixing an old, busted LG G3 first so I'm not without a phone for two weeks), does anyone have a suggestion about how to fix it? I'm not particularly inclined to disassemble the G5, but I thought I'd at least check to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

Here is a link to a video that shows how to replace the two rear facing cameras in a LG G5.

In the first comment below the video, a poster remarks that they are having focus problems with the main rear camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnKXykJ...

Did you ever figure out a fix or did you send it in? I suddenly have the same issue with mine.

Emily,

Yes, I ended up buying a camera on eBay and replacing it as shown in the video above. Unfortunately, the camera must have been a slightly different model, so it has the opposite problem: it's now locked in close focus. So it was kind of a waste of time, and the procedure to get the glass off was nerve-wracking: I felt at times like the glass would break.

Next time, I'll just return it to LG for warranty repair.

Thanks for the response! I guess I'll suck it up and send it in.

I had the same problem with the rear facing camera. Was't focus at all even tries and completly burley except close to the objects like my finger when i get it close to it ..

.. I have been searching. For long.. For similar problem. And the solution but bot much but recommending. To replace it .. till i found the same problem happened to the owners of s6 edge and they got to chuck it to fix it. Especially i heard someone. Smashed the lg g5 on his knee out of frastrating and then camera has been back to focus so i was overthinking about it .. . I know many people wouldnt thing about chucking or smatshing their phone as solution but what i did is i smashed it on soft bed strongly since i know its will give a strong chuck to the camera .. And boom i noticed the different . the far objects were burrly before but get a bit clear i feel like somethinh stops the camera to focus even if its trying .. And went on smatching it also at the time i focus to the far ojbect so i smatch and fall it to the bed from height spot .. .. and finally the camera got focus the object in 3 metters so clearly but still the far away spots couldn't get to focus to .the way you wont notice it till when you zoom it .. . even i tried the same method. A lot . But i noticed there are a lot of dash in the camera maybe the dasts dont let the camera focus or maybe makes it stuck inside it to not focuse. I want to open that piece of plactic but I'm afraid to break it .. . ... sorry for bad english guys just telling my experiences maybe its would be usefull for Certain.People instead of replacing the camera. ..

I had the same problem too and i was worried about camera losing focus even my camera glass is broken few weeks ago and its not repaired yet. But it resolved and i dont know how cause my habbit is to drop my G5 and when i saw this post saying that it can be resolved by hitting... i did it twice hitting my hand in quite a force and even battery was low ....... Either one was a problem .

Ok, Now I have the same problem with my G5, the camera is locked in the close focus, this problem came with another problem at the same time, seems that the micro sd card (32) I had installed in my phone has been damaged, I can open the files I had on it through my phone but I cant save any other file on it (i.e save a new picture) also I cant erase any file stored on the SD card, I also cant format it, tried to open the sd card on my computer and my computer cant read the card.

This is very annoying this is a new phone!

Any other way to fix this other than replacing the camera?

No that I know, I have bought a camera replacement on eBay and worked as a charm, there are a couple of sellers that sell this 16 Mp Camera on eBay, before you buy it check that the replacement fit on the the model of your phone (check in the settings the model of your phone and that the camera support that model in the description of the seller). Good Luck!

I bought a replacement camera and it has exactly the same issue after replacement!

Eric Bakes will be eternally grateful.