Released September 2015, the JBL Xtreme is a portable, Bluetooth speaker that is also splash proof.

Why is my bluetooth speaker randomly turning off? (JBL Xtreme)

Recently I've been experiencing some difficulties with my JBL Xtreme. The device will randomly turn off after about half an hour or so when not charging, even when fully charged. When it turns off I am able to start it again, but the problem only gets worse and it'll turn off again after only a couple of minutes. Eventually it becomes impossible to start at all until it's plugged back into the charger again. It boots up fully charged as well after that.

The device is about a year old and the problem occurs both while connected via bluetooth and via AUX. It's well taken care of too.

What could possibly be causing this problem? Does the device believe that its battery has been drained or something? I'm really at a loss, and appreciative of all help I can get.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. 2 is a coincidence; 3 is a trend. Anyone know anything more about this..?

Same problem. This is an issue. Does anyone have any ideas, like someone from JBL maybe to explain? this is making me feel that i have spent money on something that is not what it has been advertised to be.

Same problem. The Extreme doesn't start without connecting to the power even for one instant. Usually the shut down happens around 15 minutes after playing music from full charge. After conecting to the charger the battery seems full. Anyone has a solution?

I have the same issue. My Xtreme is just over 12 months old and has started shutting itself off every 10 mins even though battery is showing full charge. To get it going again, I have to plug it back in to the power. Take it off the power and the pattern repeats! Come on JBL help us out please!

Same problem here. Keeps disconnecting from my Windows 10 laptop and iPhone 7. Tried everything, no luck. Maybe a firmware update would be helpful from JBL. Such an expensive speaker shouldn't have such issues.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

I found out that with the unit on, if you press the JBL Connect button at the same time as pressing the volume down button, you hear a voice telling you the firmware version. Currently (Sept '16) its 7 4

This may be no help but perhaps it might reveal you aren't updating the unit successfully.....

Thanks for the response! The unit is has the latest update, but unfortunately the problem persists.

Now how, pray tell does one go about updating the speaker firmware? Serious question

I've had contact with Harmon Kardon reps through email and they've stated that they have indeed found an issue with this speaker and have agreed to send me a replacement (out of warranty). Now I haven't gotten the replacement yet so I have yet to test it but let's hope that I didn't buy a $350 paper weight.

Would you post your email? I'll try that too. Thanks!

My jbl speaker doesn't work since the blue light or the on/off button doesn't work even if when I press it longer the blue light i still there is no responce whenever i press any keys? Can you help me fix this?

They refused to replace my speakers.

This is just a guess but it could be that these speakers just have a problem where the battery quickly goes bad. There could also be some mass defect that's affecting so many. Best suggestion is to just buy a new one.

Yes, I believe that to be the case as well. Spending some time researching the issue I have found numerous cases that are similar if not exactly alike. I find it strange that JBL is yet to address it, it's very dissapointing really.

However I read somewhere that they've improved the hardware, and so the issue is only occurring with older versions. I'm going to get a replacement if I'm able to and see for myself.

My Harmon Kardon Onyx IV speaker is only a few months old and has been used very few times. I do not intend to buy a new one. If they have improved the hardware, they did not do so on my new speaker. I bought three of them in December, one for me and two as gifts. Sad to have given away my old Bose speaker.

I just got one of these from a family member that had traveled with it for a summer and am experiencing the same problem. Based upon my experience with certain phones, it seems as though the problem isn't with the battery itself, but with the part of the device that reads how full the battery actually is. How I was able to completely fix this on my phone was to let the battery fully drain in till my ohine turned off, then plug in my phone and fully charge it. It worked like a charm. The question is, if the JBL xtreme is shutting down prematurely, how do we drain the battery in order to let the device reset its power meter thingy?

I am going to try and use it as a "charger" using the USB port maybe it won't shut down I dunno this is bullshit. I bought mine on amazon on 4/9/16 I am going to try and get in touch with Amazon and see what they say since so many are having this problem maybe it can be recalled or something

This is really unacceptable! I have been trying to drain the battery on my Harmon Kardon Onyx Series IV speaker for several days, bitter laugh, but the %#*@ thing turns itself off before the battery is drained and every time I go to press the power button it lights up again. Guess I would have to babysit the %#*@ thing and just keep pressing the power button until it drains......when? I gave my son two of these things for Christmas and this is making me sick. Angry. I don't want a replacement. I will be in the same forum with more of you reading the same thing, almost certain.

Guys, i've had the same problem. With this type of problem you will only have two solutions. First is, if your unit is still under warranty, might as well ask JBL for a replacement immediately. Secondly, open the unit and remove the battery(be very careful because this is lithium battery we're talking about). Make your JBL a directly plug and play speaker. I did mine too since i lost my receipt. Hope this helps.

I was thinking to replace the battery. Does anyone know from where I can purchase a new one?

I bought my Extreme in October of 2017, after fully charging the unit I paired it up with my phone and took off for a ride on the UTV, about 30 min into the ride we began to have this issue you're explaining. We literally spent another 30 min trying to get the unit paired back up with my Samsung Galaxy 8 so we could enjoy some music, after the frustration started setting in we decided to pair it up with my friends IPhone 5 and off we went until about 10 min in the IPhone disconnected! We pulled over started looking at phone settings thinking it might be in the settings, decided that we would clear all Bluetooth paired history in the phone seems it had been paired with a few devices over the years! It worked... we spent the remainder of the day enjoying music. Now what I ended up doing to get my fancy new Galaxy8 to work was a little more time consuming. Once I was home I continued to have problems with the pairing of these 2 devices... seems that the 2 pieces of technology didn't like each other I was about to give up and setup the return with Ebay seems it was a brand new JBL Extreme other than the one day I got to enjoy someone else's playlist. I researched for a couple of hours reading lists of peoples complaints about how unsatisfied they all were with Harmon/JBL until I came across someone's post saying to hard reset the Extreme by holding down the pairing button & volume+ button at the same time. Once I did this the unit wouldn't turn back on so I unplugged the unit from its 110v connection and reconnected the 110v cord into the wall, had to push the power button many times until the unit decided to turn on. I haven't had any problems with it unpairing from my Galaxy8 since going thru all this and I have also unplugged it and ran it on battery power to see if the problem would come back! Hopefully my story will help you and others enjoy their expensive purchase of their fancy new JBL speaker!

Best Regards,

Tony

"If your JBL Xtreme only turns on whilst plugged in like mines did, dont panic, all you have to do is plug it in so it turns on, and hold the JBL CONNECT button beside the power button, and volume up, until the fifth light flashes red, then unplug the speaker and press the power button, I thought the battery was just finished but it wasnt, very happy"

Took on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ANzDIkV...

I'll try!

I have exactly same problem- did you ger any solution for this? Mine is out of warranty- otherwise it would be replaced as product with defect..

Mine had 2 year warranty. Not sure if it was JBL or the shop I bought it from that made it 2 years. So, are you certain its out of warranty?

From what I have gathered, the battery might swell, but also if you try to remove it its almost impossible to get the case back together again. I am happy that I have got a new unit and another 2 year guarantee. I am sorry I cant help more.

No sadly I have yet to figure out a solution.

My solution is to sue since it's a widespread defect and the company provides no recourse

I have exactly the same problem. The speaker is over a year old so i think it has something to do with one of the batteries not charging properly. Im gonna contact jbl for an solution hoping they know whats causing this problem and getting a replacement even tho its over the 1 year warranty

I have the same problem after 20 minutes of play. My warranty expired on 11/7/16. I emailed JBL and was told I could send my unit in at my expense and they would send me out a "recertified" unit with no warranty. But, as someone has previously said in this thread, that JBL identified the problem and fixed it, hopefully the refurbished ones will be fixed for good.

Just received my "re-certified" replacement and I turned it on played music for 20 mins and it shut off just like my original. Can't turn it back on without plugging it in. I just emailed them back that I want my money back including the $38 it cost me to ship the old one back. Time to look at Bose again.

Ehm idk what happend with your re-certified unit cause i got an replacement from jbl and i have no issues anymore. When i do get issues again will come back to this forum but i think the "new" units dont have these problems anymore

I have three brand new Harmon Kardon Onyx series IV wireless speakers. Mine has exactly the problem described here. Gave two to my son for a belated Christmas present, brand new in the box a few weeks ago. He is too nice to call me and tell me that they don't work. I will be calling him! I think all of you with problems should get your money back. But then, who am I? For starters, I am an attorney. I am not looking for work. But something smells bad here.

My JBL have a problem like off by it self while i listened music.

When i try to power on it again, it's not working then i try to charge but the batery light still 5, so i unplug it.

I try to play music again, but there is no 2 minutes and it off by it self again. It's happend since i used the usb to charge my phone.

Do you have a solution on it????

Thx

Unfortunately no, I've yet to figure out what the problem is. However, I do believe that it's a simple manufactury error with older versions of the speaker. I read somewhere that they've since fixed it. When did you buy your speaker? If very recently, they've not bothered to do anything about it.

Okay, turns out I read about that here. The commenter also stated that he recieved a replacement which was supposedly fixed, which it was not. *Sigh*. This is frustrating.

I have the same issue here. I bought mine in NYC last October and about 3 weeks ago it has started shutting down randomly even after over 8 hours charging! I got in touch with Hardman in Brazil and they haven`t even replied my messages. Does anyone have another way to get it sorted out? I haven't seen anything about an updated firmware for this speaker... JBL this is a shame for a such expensive speaker!!!

I have the same problem with my turning off it works perfectly the day I've gotten over and we got it just over a week ago and then my friend accidentally plug my phone into it and now it's not working

All of the comments I am reading are pretty discouraging, as I bought three Harmon Kardon wireless speakers, Onxy IV, in December of 2017. I had heard great things about this brand. Looks like the problem is occurring in multiple models, some of them older but mine is brand new. Not pleased. I could probably take mine back. Also probably under warranty but after reading these comments I am not sure I want a replacement even if brand new.

I have the opposite problem. Mine turns of, but then turns on again a couple of secons later...and its brand new!

My JBL Xtreme just started shutting down for no reason this weekend. I never had any problems with it. I just did a firmware update last weekend. The first and only update I've done since I got it approximately 22 months ago. Me myself personally I wish I never did the update. Never had any problem until I updated the firmware. I played it at max volume for several hours with no issues. What I've noticed it can be fully charged and right before it shuts down it the battery meter is on the last bar flashing red after about 10 minutes of playing. When I turn it back on its reading 3 bars on a battery meter go figure. Now I'm just wondering if there's any way to reset it back to the factory settings get rid of that firmware update and hopefully that will fix it

I also have a jbl flip 3 that keeps disconnecting during operation. I tried resetting the device (de-pressing vol+ and phone buttons while the unit is on until it switches off) however that was futile. I decided to try and fully drain the battery to see if will help and you what, it did. Once ur persistent at reconnecting the device, eventually it will begin to play for longer periods. Do this until the battery goes dead or the low battery red LED is blinking. Recharge your phone afterwards( LEDs would switch off when speaker is fully charged) and it should rectify the problem, at least it worked for me :)

Hey! My JBL PULSE 3's led is suddenly not working... What should I do?

I bought new JBL Xtreme and when I powered on first time it's battery indicator light was flashing red so I put it on charging and within 15 minutes it reached to 4th blinking light then after half an hour 5th started blinking then after 15 minutes again it came back to 4th and then never gone to 5th or fully charged. So now after 5 hours of charge waiting I connected to me phone wia Bluetooth and at full volume it played for 2 hours maximum. Surprise! They claimed for 15 hours play time but what's wrong, it's ok play time varies on volume but at least it should b able to run for 5 to 7 hours because they claime it's battery is 10000 MAH. I also upgraded the firmware but no luck. So finally I understood there is something wrong with battery. So I decided to open and check whether it has original battery, ao opened myself and saw battery looks original and not physically swollen or damaged. When I checked it's voltages for 2S are ok but for each cell it should be half of the totall 2 series cells. But it was not showing any voltages for each cell after BMS. Now I thought it's BMS board is faulty. So I had 18650 batteries and 2S Battery management system chips. So I decided to prepare one new battery from these 18650 cells, sort, prepared 2s battery which was not fitting in battery compartment. Then again prepared 8 cells battery and put beneath the radiators 4 pieces each side. Powered on and Palyed well at full volume and 75% upto 8 to 10 hrs. But story not finished yet. So before it shuts down itself I plugged in at charging when red light was blinking afte a night charge at morning only one white light is blinking and when plugged out charger it is red again, means not charging my assembled battery

Excuse me for my English, I am from Belgium

Has anyone tried to reset the extreme?

You can reset your extreme by turning it on and press the volume + button and the.play/pause button at the same time for 10 seconds until it shuts of.

If anyone has a problem with the fact it won't turn on. And it only turns on when you charge it than youpress the connect button and the volume + button at the same time until it shuts of.

I think that they may be junk because im on my 2nd one in under a year. the new replacement is doing the same thing out of the box. no need for a 3rd one unless they correct the problems. will probably write it off and go with a competitor.

l'm not sure l like JBL speaker any more

I have been having this issue with the original Pulse. It's possible they are built on a similar design, so YMMV. I upgraded the firmware on it (they are on the Pulse 3 and still released one, which was rather amazing). I installed it, and it helped immensely. But the problem came back yesterday. I did some troubleshooting, and it turns out that I was charging the speaker with an aftermarket cable. It didn't really make sense, but when I let it charge again using the original charger and cable, the problem is gone. Again, I don't know if this will help you, but maybe it's some built in safety mechanism that measures amps (it is a 2A charger), or faulty cables. Let it drain all the way out, then give it a good charge and see if it helps. Check your firmware just to be safe.

how do I check the firmware?

For everyone still struggling (cause though this post is already 1,5 years old).

I had the same problem and after updating the software and giving the speaker a factory reset things seem fine for now. Hope this may help some of you guys!

how would I update the software?

So with these type of batteries they tend to drain if not used constantly. If you have left this in a box for some months then most likely the battery is depleted. So what i recommend is to open it up replace the battery and if that doesn't work then i dint know what to tell you

Hi.

The same thing happens to my speakers after having them for not even a full 2 years. The company refuses to do anything about it since it's out of warranty. Since so many people have the same problem, with little to no recourse, I have decided to file a lawsuit. Please e-mail me @ mg.robinson718@gmail.com if this is an issue for you as well.

alexshe will be eternally grateful.