Released September 2015, the JBL Xtreme is a portable, Bluetooth speaker that is also splash proof.

Why is my bluetooth speaker randomly turning off? (JBL Xtreme)

Recently I've been experiencing some difficulties with my JBL Xtreme. The device will randomly turn off after about half an hour or so when not charging, even when fully charged. When it turns off I am able to start it again, but the problem only gets worse and it'll turn off again after only a couple of minutes. Eventually it becomes impossible to start at all until it's plugged back into the charger again. It boots up fully charged as well after that.

The device is about a year old and the problem occurs both while connected via bluetooth and via AUX. It's well taken care of too.

What could possibly be causing this problem? Does the device believe that its battery has been drained or something? I'm really at a loss, and appreciative of all help I can get.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. 2 is a coincidence; 3 is a trend. Anyone know anything more about this..?

Same problem. This is an issue. Does anyone have any ideas, like someone from JBL maybe to explain? this is making me feel that i have spent money on something that is not what it has been advertised to be.

Same problem. The Extreme doesn't start without connecting to the power even for one instant. Usually the shut down happens around 15 minutes after playing music from full charge. After conecting to the charger the battery seems full. Anyone has a solution?

I have the same issue. My Xtreme is just over 12 months old and has started shutting itself off every 10 mins even though battery is showing full charge. To get it going again, I have to plug it back in to the power. Take it off the power and the pattern repeats! Come on JBL help us out please!

Same problem here. Keeps disconnecting from my Windows 10 laptop and iPhone 7. Tried everything, no luck. Maybe a firmware update would be helpful from JBL. Such an expensive speaker shouldn't have such issues.

Most Helpful Answer

I found out that with the unit on, if you press the JBL Connect button at the same time as pressing the volume down button, you hear a voice telling you the firmware version. Currently (Sept '16) its 7 4

This may be no help but perhaps it might reveal you aren't updating the unit successfully.....

Thanks for the response! The unit is has the latest update, but unfortunately the problem persists.

Now how, pray tell does one go about updating the speaker firmware? Serious question

I've had contact with Harmon Kardon reps through email and they've stated that they have indeed found an issue with this speaker and have agreed to send me a replacement (out of warranty). Now I haven't gotten the replacement yet so I have yet to test it but let's hope that I didn't buy a $350 paper weight.

Would you post your email? I'll try that too. Thanks!

This is just a guess but it could be that these speakers just have a problem where the battery quickly goes bad. There could also be some mass defect that's affecting so many. Best suggestion is to just buy a new one.

Yes, I believe that to be the case as well. Spending some time researching the issue I have found numerous cases that are similar if not exactly alike. I find it strange that JBL is yet to address it, it's very dissapointing really.

However I read somewhere that they've improved the hardware, and so the issue is only occurring with older versions. I'm going to get a replacement if I'm able to and see for myself.

I have exactly same problem- did you ger any solution for this? Mine is out of warranty- otherwise it would be replaced as product with defect..

Mine had 2 year warranty. Not sure if it was JBL or the shop I bought it from that made it 2 years. So, are you certain its out of warranty?

From what I have gathered, the battery might swell, but also if you try to remove it its almost impossible to get the case back together again. I am happy that I have got a new unit and another 2 year guarantee. I am sorry I cant help more.

No sadly I have yet to figure out a solution.

I have exactly the same problem. The speaker is over a year old so i think it has something to do with one of the batteries not charging properly. Im gonna contact jbl for an solution hoping they know whats causing this problem and getting a replacement even tho its over the 1 year warranty

I have the same problem after 20 minutes of play. My warranty expired on 11/7/16. I emailed JBL and was told I could send my unit in at my expense and they would send me out a "recertified" unit with no warranty. But, as someone has previously said in this thread, that JBL identified the problem and fixed it, hopefully the refurbished ones will be fixed for good.

Just received my "re-certified" replacement and I turned it on played music for 20 mins and it shut off just like my original. Can't turn it back on without plugging it in. I just emailed them back that I want my money back including the $38 it cost me to ship the old one back. Time to look at Bose again.

Ehm idk what happend with your re-certified unit cause i got an replacement from jbl and i have no issues anymore. When i do get issues again will come back to this forum but i think the "new" units dont have these problems anymore

My JBL have a problem like off by it self while i listened music.

When i try to power on it again, it's not working then i try to charge but the batery light still 5, so i unplug it.

I try to play music again, but there is no 2 minutes and it off by it self again. It's happend since i used the usb to charge my phone.

Do you have a solution on it????

Thx

Unfortunately no, I've yet to figure out what the problem is. However, I do believe that it's a simple manufactury error with older versions of the speaker. I read somewhere that they've since fixed it. When did you buy your speaker? If very recently, they've not bothered to do anything about it.

Okay, turns out I read about that here. The commenter also stated that he recieved a replacement which was supposedly fixed, which it was not. *Sigh*. This is frustrating.

I have the same issue here. I bought mine in NYC last October and about 3 weeks ago it has started shutting down randomly even after over 8 hours charging! I got in touch with Hardman in Brazil and they haven`t even replied my messages. Does anyone have another way to get it sorted out? I haven't seen anything about an updated firmware for this speaker... JBL this is a shame for a such expensive speaker!!!

I just got one of these from a family member that had traveled with it for a summer and am experiencing the same problem. Based upon my experience with certain phones, it seems as though the problem isn't with the battery itself, but with the part of the device that reads how full the battery actually is. How I was able to completely fix this on my phone was to let the battery fully drain in till my ohine turned off, then plug in my phone and fully charge it. It worked like a charm. The question is, if the JBL xtreme is shutting down prematurely, how do we drain the battery in order to let the device reset its power meter thingy?

I am going to try and use it as a "charger" using the USB port maybe it won't shut down I dunno this is bullshit. I bought mine on amazon on 4/9/16 I am going to try and get in touch with Amazon and see what they say since so many are having this problem maybe it can be recalled or something

Guys, i've had the same problem. With this type of problem you will only have two solutions. First is, if your unit is still under warranty, might as well ask JBL for a replacement immediately. Secondly, open the unit and remove the battery(be very careful because this is lithium battery we're talking about). Make your JBL a directly plug and play speaker. I did mine too since i lost my receipt. Hope this helps.

I have the opposite problem. Mine turns of, but then turns on again a couple of secons later...and its brand new!

My JBL Xtreme just started shutting down for no reason this weekend. I never had any problems with it. I just did a firmware update last weekend. The first and only update I've done since I got it approximately 22 months ago. Me myself personally I wish I never did the update. Never had any problem until I updated the firmware. I played it at max volume for several hours with no issues. What I've noticed it can be fully charged and right before it shuts down it the battery meter is on the last bar flashing red after about 10 minutes of playing. When I turn it back on its reading 3 bars on a battery meter go figure. Now I'm just wondering if there's any way to reset it back to the factory settings get rid of that firmware update and hopefully that will fix it

I have the exact problem and it’s not even a month yet and it shuts off

my jbl show the first light in red when i turn the bass mode, in high volume myjbl dont play :(

why?

alexshe will be eternally grateful.