Xiaomi Mi4 in Recovery Mode loop & no connection with PC
Hi! I’d be extremely thankful to hear your thoughts on this case.
I’ve got a Xiaomi Mi4 in a recovery mode loop (Mi Recovery 2.0.1) that can’t enter Fastboot mode and can’t get connected to a PC to get flashed. There is no SD card slot for this model to upload a ROM (update.zip in this case) on or it would be a cake.
- phone was dropped from the 5th floor. Everything works properly (getting calls, messages) except for the LCD touch and the VOL UP button.
- out of warranty so ordered a spare LCD. I have experience fixing 15+ different phones with the same issue successfully.
- while getting the battery out carefully following a YT video while disconnected from the circuit board and all the other components the battery pack started heating quickly and smoking. Most importantly, it was disconnected from everything when this happened. I was using plastic tools when removing it but it could still be caused by sloppiness.
- ordered a spare battery
- ordered a spare power/volume control unit (not received yet)
- got new LCD and installed it. When booted (both holding power button or vol(-) + power button or vol(+)+power button) the phone goes to Mi Recovery 2.0.1
- wiped all data using Mi Recovery but still can’t boot to MIUI or Fastboot
- phone is charging when the micro USB is plugged into a power source.
This gets us to the next logical step – flash a new ROM:
- got Mi PC Suite to flash but can’t connect
- got Mi Flash Tool but it can’t find a device
- got ADB/Fastboot but it doesn’t find a device with "all devices" in command line
- got the phone charged to 100% as advised by a YoutTube video but nothing changes.
Next logical step – find drivers and try different PCs. Those are the drivers I installed on 2 laptops with Win 7 Pro and Win 8, as there was no notification of a new device in Device Manager. I have always restarted PC with Disable Driver Signature Enforcement option:
- Minimal ADB Fastboot
- official Xiaomi Mi4 drivers for Windows
- Samsung Android drivers
- Qualcomm Hs Usb Qdloader 9008 Com3 Driver
- OEM USB Drivers
I have also tried:
- removing the ‘Disconnect power from USB ports while not in use’ feature in Device Manager
- Adding a device using Devices and printers (PC can’t find anything)
- having the device both turned off and in Recovery Mode while plugging to the PC.
Last hope: getting the volume/power button unit replaced so I can get to Fastboot while holding VolUp and Power, but that doesn’t help the case where it’s not recognized by the PC.
Is this a good question?