The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Keyboard and trackpad don't work, loose cable?

My keyboard and trackpad have now completely stopped working. Before, they would work occasionally, and if it wasn't working I'd just reboot and kind of press on the bottom of the laptop and they would work, but that is no longer working.

The power key is the only one still responding, so I've been using a USB keyboard and mouse, but that isn't exactly practical to bring to classes.

My assumption is that it's a loose cable, as I was told by the Genius bar that the keyboard and trackpad are controlled by the same cable (they told me my laptop was scrapped and I needed to purchase a whole new one...how about no?).

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? What does the cable for the trackpad/keyboard look like so I can open up the bottom and see if it's loose?

Unless you have some liquid damage I suspect the battery has swelled pressing the keyboard & trackpad from below.

You could try testing this out by using an external keyboard & mouse/trackpad to verify things.

Given the age of the system you should go to an Apple Store to see if they can replace it under extended warranty program.

Replace it? It = the battery?

I have this same problem which surfaced just a bit over the 1-year warranty period. Keyboard and trackpad do not boot up and hence can't log in. Then all of a sudden, after a couple frustrating months of using a bluetooth keyboard and a USB mouse, everything started working again. That lasted 3 months. Then back to no keyboard and no trackpad. On a whim, I turned by Macbook over and gently but firmly pressed back and forth on the underside of the laptop in the proximity of the trackpad ... and now it works ... but I have to do this every time to get things working. I thought maybe the trackpad cable was loose, so I finally got ahold of a pentalobe screwdriver (impossible to find outside of the USA). I tried snugging up the cable which looked firmly seated at both ends. Alas the problem continues .... still rubbing the bottom of my expensive 2015 MacBook Pro just to get it to fire up correctly.

Perhaps massaging the laptop's underside flattens out any swelling in the battery ... or it nudges the trackpad cable into action ... whatever the heck is the culprit ... it certainly is a faulty design issue.

Anybody know how I can fix this permanently on my own?

:) Frank

Early 2015 MacBook Pro (A1502)

Replace the trackpad cable, this goes bad on the 2015 models and causes both the trackpad and keyboard to stop working. £10 part and guarantee it will fix your issue

Thanks for the feedback.

where do I find the replacement cable?

btmiclette will be eternally grateful.