Guides and support for various TV brands and styles.

The sound on my TV stopped working.

I have a 42" Vizio TV model SV421XVT. The sound stopped working. It seems as if the TV no longer reads the remote as I have to turn it off manually.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Michael Norton you want to make sure that all connectors are properly seated and that you check your audio settings, before any hardware issues are checked.

Audio settings are good and I've tried to change the HDMI port, still nothing.

Same problem, pausing or rewinding tv program and I lose sound from the tv speakers. To get it back I have to disconnect power on the Viso sound bar and reconnect it. TV sound comes back.

Is there someone here with a solution for us all?

I have the same problem, when I change a channel no sound, I have to change to two or three different channels and the sound comes back on. Will do this 5 or 6 times a day,.

Most Helpful Answer

Michale Norton, first off start with what Vizio suggest on here:

Built-In Speakers

If you cannot hear any sound from the speakers built into your VIZIO TV, check the following:

The volume level is set above zero.

The TV is not muted.

Under Audio or Audio Settings on the on-screen menu, TV Speakers is set to On.

All of the cables physically connected to the TV and the input devices are secure.

Switch to a different input device and verify there is sound from the TV speakers (for example, a DVD player or a gaming console). Turn the other device on and then use the INPUT button on the remote to switch to that device. Then attempt to play a DVD or game to determine if the TV speakers produce sound. If you do not have another device, and your TV is a VIA Smart TV you can test with any video application.

If you have a Cable or Satellite box, confirm that the audio is turned up and not muted within that box.

External Speakers, Sound Bar, Surround Sound System, or Other External Audio System

If you have an external audio system connected to your VIZIO TV and you do not hear any sound, check the following:

The volume control of the external audio system is set above zero.

The external audio system is not muted.

All of the cables physically connected to the TV and the audio device are secure.

Switch to a different input device and see if there is sound (for example, a DVD player or a gaming console). Turn on the other device and then use the INPUT button on the remote to change to that device. (Cable, Cable Box, DVD player, etc). Then attempt to play a DVD or game to determine if the speakers produce sound. If you do not have another device, and your TV is a VIA Smart TV you can test with any video application.

Disconnect the external audio device from TV and listen for audio from the TV’s built-in speakers. Under Audio or Audio Settings on the on-screen menu, set TV Speakers to On.

Since that does not change anything, follow that attached flow sheet. I've found that the audio IC in most TV is of inferior quality and has a tendency to fail.

It is possible that due to a failed IR board your Television just does not receive signal for the volume up.

Thanks for the quick response. After working through the suggestions, I still have a clear picture with no sound. My remote does not 'speak' to the TV either. Curious if the two problems are connected.

I have exactly the same issue, requires shutting off the power surge protector and then it seems to work, a few times just changing input worked but not usually. Really annoying considering the price of these things. Also had issues with the casting, gave me an error that said sorry we lost our focus. WTF. So bought a roku and hdmi plugged it and that stopped but now we have the sound issue. hmmmmmm

I couldn't fix my sound either on 55" Vizio

So I purchased a fiber optic cable 12$ and a inexpensive sound bar speaker with blue tooth

$62 total

In less then 2 minutes I had sound.

There will be a red light on the back of your tv when powered on.

Plug in fiber optic cable in back of tv and into sound bar, plug in sound bar to 110 outlet .turn on sound bar

Put Sound bar On setting that reads digital optical.

A sound was on.

You have to control volume with a different remote

But:

A lot better than $6-800 for new tv.

Buy a sound bar and optical cable can fix my problem

I was having the same issue with the sound on my Vizio TV and nothing I tried worked, until I accidentally unplugged my Cable box. When I plugged it back in the sound came back and it has been fine ever since. Still not sure what the issue was but I'm just glad that it is fixed. Hopefully this will work for you!

I had the same issue with a Vizio E Series tv. I tried the advice read here in disconnecting the power supply to the cable box. It didn't work. I then unplugged the TV and the sound returned after plugging it back up. The Vizio app for Android required resetting. Not sure what caused the problem.

unplug hdmi then replug it worked for me

The sound on my Vizio tv just randomly stopped working one day. I tried all the troubleshooting solutions but they didn't work. I even checked to see if the tv speakers were set to on in the audio menu, and they were, so then I grabbed my speaker bar and hooked it up to the tv and the sound still wasn't coming through on the speaker bar. I then went to the audio settings on the menu of the vizio tv again and it showed that the tv speakers were set to off this time so I turned them back to on and the sound was working on the tv again! Hope this was clear enough and helped some people that have tried everything else..

The only sound I get is a constant fast beeping

noise like there's an electrical interference from somewhere...

Michael Norton will be eternally grateful.