Guides and support for various TV brands and styles.

The sound on my TV stopped working.

I have a 42" Vizio TV model SV421XVT. The sound stopped working. It seems as if the TV no longer reads the remote as I have to turn it off manually.

Any ideas as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Michael Norton you want to make sure that all connectors are properly seated and that you check your audio settings, before any hardware issues are checked.

Audio settings are good and I've tried to change the HDMI port, still nothing.

Same problem, pausing or rewinding tv program and I lose sound from the tv speakers. To get it back I have to disconnect power on the Viso sound bar and reconnect it. TV sound comes back.

Is there someone here with a solution for us all?

I have the same problem, when I change a channel no sound, I have to change to two or three different channels and the sound comes back on. Will do this 5 or 6 times a day,.

My Vizio occasionally has no sound when I turn it on. I unplug and then plug it in again and it's back. As for the remote, it's goes through batteries like crazy. We seem to replace them every other month lately. It didn't used to be that way.

Michale Norton, first off start with what Vizio suggest on here:

Built-In Speakers

If you cannot hear any sound from the speakers built into your VIZIO TV, check the following:

The volume level is set above zero.

The TV is not muted.

Under Audio or Audio Settings on the on-screen menu, TV Speakers is set to On.

All of the cables physically connected to the TV and the input devices are secure.

Switch to a different input device and verify there is sound from the TV speakers (for example, a DVD player or a gaming console). Turn the other device on and then use the INPUT button on the remote to switch to that device. Then attempt to play a DVD or game to determine if the TV speakers produce sound. If you do not have another device, and your TV is a VIA Smart TV you can test with any video application.

If you have a Cable or Satellite box, confirm that the audio is turned up and not muted within that box.

External Speakers, Sound Bar, Surround Sound System, or Other External Audio System

If you have an external audio system connected to your VIZIO TV and you do not hear any sound, check the following:

The volume control of the external audio system is set above zero.

The external audio system is not muted.

All of the cables physically connected to the TV and the audio device are secure.

Switch to a different input device and see if there is sound (for example, a DVD player or a gaming console). Turn on the other device and then use the INPUT button on the remote to change to that device. (Cable, Cable Box, DVD player, etc). Then attempt to play a DVD or game to determine if the speakers produce sound. If you do not have another device, and your TV is a VIA Smart TV you can test with any video application.

Disconnect the external audio device from TV and listen for audio from the TV’s built-in speakers. Under Audio or Audio Settings on the on-screen menu, set TV Speakers to On.

Since that does not change anything, follow that attached flow sheet. I've found that the audio IC in most TV is of inferior quality and has a tendency to fail.

It is possible that due to a failed IR board your Television just does not receive signal for the volume up.

Thanks for the quick response. After working through the suggestions, I still have a clear picture with no sound. My remote does not 'speak' to the TV either. Curious if the two problems are connected.

I have exactly the same issue, requires shutting off the power surge protector and then it seems to work, a few times just changing input worked but not usually. Really annoying considering the price of these things. Also had issues with the casting, gave me an error that said sorry we lost our focus. WTF. So bought a roku and hdmi plugged it and that stopped but now we have the sound issue. hmmmmmm

I just walked through these steps and still nothing. My remote works but no sound. The TV is only 2.5 years old

Leanne Evans what make and model is your TV and what are the issues with it?

I just purchased a Vizio 60 inch TV and had the sound issues straight out of the box.I have to turn it on then turn it off to get sound and about every 4th or 5th time I have to unplug the TV in the back then plug it bck in to get sound,this happens regardless of whether any audio equipment is hooked up or not,i guess im waiting for the day when it won't work at all....pretty irritating and causing me to not recommend this product to anyone.

I was having the same issue with the sound on my Vizio TV and nothing I tried worked, until I accidentally unplugged my Cable box. When I plugged it back in the sound came back and it has been fine ever since. Still not sure what the issue was but I'm just glad that it is fixed. Hopefully this will work for you!

I did every thing suggested above and nothing worked. I unplugged my cable box and waa lah! I had my sound back. Thank you Kellly

Thank you so much for the info. I had pic but no sound until I unplugged the cable then reconnected it. Problem solved.

Thank you so much Kelly am glad I tried this before I when out and spent alot of money trying to fix the issue!!

BINGO!! I had the same issue, remote worked but no sound, tested every possible setting then turned the cable box off and finally success! Thanks so much Kelly!

Worked

The sound on my Vizio tv just randomly stopped working one day. I tried all the troubleshooting solutions but they didn't work. I even checked to see if the tv speakers were set to on in the audio menu, and they were, so then I grabbed my speaker bar and hooked it up to the tv and the sound still wasn't coming through on the speaker bar. I then went to the audio settings on the menu of the vizio tv again and it showed that the tv speakers were set to off this time so I turned them back to on and the sound was working on the tv again! Hope this was clear enough and helped some people that have tried everything else..

I have a Vizio 47" M479NV no sound, i have tried it all unpluging, resetting and changing settings. i think it the main board but how can i fix it and what do i need to look for on the board? Any one know?

I had the same issue with a Vizio E Series tv. I tried the advice read here in disconnecting the power supply to the cable box. It didn't work. I then unplugged the TV and the sound returned after plugging it back up. The Vizio app for Android required resetting. Not sure what caused the problem.

unplug hdmi then replug it worked for me

So, I have a 50” Vizio flat screen with a sound bar. I lost volume about 2 months ago on the TV but not the sound bar. I unplugged my sound bar and started trying different things.

By coincidence my 8 year old said just turn up the volume dad, which he did! My tv never lost volume, you just had to turn it up to 60 before you could hear it. The sound was better after I went into settings and turned on volume leveling, but still requires at least 30 or more on the volume before you can hear it. I would recommend cranking your volume all the way up and trying again. None of this started until Vizio updated my tv.

hope this helps

Michael Norton will be eternally grateful.