Released October 2008 / 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

MacBook Pro (Late 2008) Wont Turn on

I have a late 2008 MBP that will no longer turn on. The orange/green light on the magsafe connector lights up but nothing happens when I press the power button. I suspect its the logic board since OSX was often freezing prior to this and I had to hold down the power button to do a hard shutdown. I know there is another little board that the magsafe connector connects to, but since the magsafe connector is lighting up I dont suspect that. Just trying to pick some brains on here. Thank you in advance.

Mike: you may try and open the laptop up ( following the infix it guides) and disconnect the battery and power cord. Then press the power button for ten seconds, then put it back together and see what happens. Sometimes the controller locks up after a bad shutdown and those steps should reset it. If that doesn't do it, then let us know and we'll try to offer another suggestion or two. Good luck

I saw that tip somewhere else and did try that with no luck. My MBP has a battery access door on the back so I didnt quite disconnect the battery but I just pulled it out for awhile and then put it back in, held down down the power button for 10 seconds and then reconnected the magsafe connector and still nothing.

Mike: it may seem trivial, but please try it again but hold the power button down with the battery out and power cord disconnected. Then put it back in and try it. Sometime the key is in the details.

Next step would be to look at the logic board for anything loose or signs of overheating.

Try an SMC reset.

Connect the power adapter to the Mac. On the MacBook Pro's keyboard, hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power button at the same time. Release all keys and the power button at the same time – the little light on the MagSafe adapter may change colors briefly to indicate the SMC has reset.

Mike will be eternally grateful.