Denon Home Audio Video Receiver AVR391. This is an entry level home theater receiver.

New Remote still won't control volume

New remote still won't control volume

The purchased a new remote to solve this and it still doesn't work, something wrong in the actual receiver?

Have you tried resetting the channel levels back to the default setting and see if this may 'clear' the problem?

Hi dawaymusic,

Try 'resetting' the system. If it doesn't restore the function after the first attempt do it 4 more times in a row before you try it again. (Have read that it can sometimes take 4-5 consecutive resets to fully restore the system).

Be aware that it will reset all your settings to their default values, so you may have to set it up to how you had it all over again.

Here is how .

I'll try this when I get back, thanks!

Set defaults, remote does everything BUT won't control volume!

Did it 5 times, same thing, everything works on the remote BUT the volume!

Given that a reset didn't solve anything, to me it rules out a software problem. More than likely it will be a problem between the IR controller and the volume controller. I'm assuming that the manual master volume control on the unit itself is functioning normally, in that you can incrementally step the volume up and down. Hopefully @oldturkey03 will pick up on this comment and in his usual inimitable fashion produce a service manual for the receiver or at least a wiring schematic so that we may be able to assist you further, as I have had no luck in finding one.

Yes, the volume knob on the unite works fine, as well as every other function on the remote. Which is a newly replaced remote btw. Thank you!

Most Helpful Answer

dawaymusic, adjust the volume on the units master volume switch. Let us know what you get

The units master volume does work, but the volume can't be controlled by the remote. The other controls on the remote DO work.

In that case the problem is between your remote and the unit. It is possible (unlikely) that the issue is the IR controller in your unit.

Strange, it accepts signals from the remote for everything else like channel levels, input select, etc, but not volume! I'll be playing some jazz in TX this week btw.

It indeed is a strange error. I'd hate for you to have to tear down your receiver to check on it. Houston or Austin for the Jazz:-)?

Up North, a saxophone conference in Lubbock.

Make sure you have a clear path between the remote and the infrared eye on your equipment. Clear any dust or debris that may be covering the eye.

Try unlocking the battery-saving mode. When a button is pressed for longer than three minutes, the remote goes into battery-saving mode. Press the SAT mode button at the top to unlock it. Your remote should work properly.

Check the batteries. When you press a mode button, does it light up? If not, you may be out of juice. Check to make sure they are in the right way, with the metal ends making good connections with the metal in the remote. If they're in correctly and you still don't get power, try replacing them. They may be dead.

Learn about batteries

Check to make sure the remote is programmed properly, which basically means you reprogram it to work with your receiver, TV and any other components. Start with the receiver and work your way through programming each component that isn't working. We tell you how to program remotes in our guide to remotes.

But you can see from above....all remote functions work properly...it controls the unit completely properly...BUT won't control the volume ! Crazy!

No answer but a similar problem. The volume works but seems to be a weak connection. You must push the volume buttons several times and hold for a long time for it to work. Quite often it isn't worth it and I just adjust on the unit. All other buttons function fine. Above answers were helpful in what isn't the problem!

Just a thought on your problem, if you haven't tried a different remote control unit that is.

As the Volume button is one of the most "popular" buttons on a remote control after the power button, it may be that the conductive coating on the button contact itself has been worn away so that there is not much left to make a good connection when pressed.

Try opening the remote and cleaning the contact, (there a plenty of You Tube videos online showing how to clean IR remote controls)

if the contact material has been worn away you could try coating the contact with "conductive glue" (look for it on Ebay) and see if this solves it for you. I have had mixed results using this method. Sometimes it only works for a few weeks and other times it is still working. When it didn't work I just ended up using a new learning remote. (not that I have the same receiver as you, just a similar problem with a remote/receiver.

Tried that but I'm not as smart as the remote and could not get it open without fear of busting it. Had only 1 screw beneath the batteries. The kitchen knife pry didn't work and it didn't seem to slide open either. Ended up ordering one since all other buttons are working, didn't want to risk total failure. Hope the new one has volume that works.

Hello man, I've got the same issue 3 days ago...

Check with your cellphone's camera if your remote is sending the command to your receiver. (Focus the front led of your remote with your cell, it can see the infra red light)

If not, (I'm pretty not,) you must open your remote and clean the circuit and silicone corresponding to not working buttons . Before close the remote check again with your cellphone's camera.

Tip: start opening the remote from the front, right beside the IR led.

Best regards,

dawaymusic will be eternally grateful.