Repair guides and support for the laptop/tablet hybrid in the Toshiba Satellite Radius series.

Fully charged, won't turn on anymore

When it dies, I will charge it until the icon on the front shows charged, but it still won't turn on. Sometimes randomly it will turn on, but then it won't anymore. It has been fully charged for days now but refuses to boot up. Beyond frustrating!!! Please help!

Hi, Does it boot with the charger connected and on?

No it does not. Will not turn on no matter what, but is indicating that it is fully charged.

Just to verify. You only have the charged light on when you start the laptop, or does the power light come on as well? Have you tried holding the power on button for at least 10 seconds to see if it starts?

The charged light goes on when the charger is plugged in. I have tried holding it down, for 10 seconds, hitting it a bunch of times quicly. Nothing is working.

Mine behaved similarly: it would show it was charged with the power cord plugged in, but when I pressed the power button nothing happened.

To fix it, I pressed the reset button located next to the sleep-and-charge USB outlet on the right side of the laptop. Then I pushed down on the keyboard, right above the power button. That worked for me. Good luck!

Hi Daniel,

You may wish to try the following which involves opening up the laptop.

1.Try re-seating the RAM modules, see if it starts

2.Disconnect the battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power, reconnect the battery and see if it starts.

Here is a link which shows to to open your laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdzsayVU...

If the above do not work it may also be something as simple as a faulty power button on the laptop. If it is connected via a flex cable to the motherboard (cannot quite see it properly in the video) you may be able to either test it with an Ohmmeter for continuity when operated or simulate it being operated by placing a momentary short circuit (bridging the connection - hopefully it is only 2 wire) across the connectors and see if it starts.

Hopefully this is of some help.

so my problem is that it is only turning on when the ac is plug in. it will shut down if i disconnect the ac. the light indicator show that my battery is full though. and i have an internal battery. help please?? this is a new computer >.< less than a year old.

Hi @pphan,

It sounds as if the battery is faulty. If it is less than a year old, I suggest that you verify that the warranty period is still valid and consult the warranty statement in the user guide that came with the laptop as to what to do regarding a warranty claim for repair or replacement.

I think that it is likely the CMOS battery has become charged down. I had a similar problem where I didn't use the laptop for several months. When I tried to turn it on, I would get the same results. Try this. Remove your main battery from the computer, hold down the power button as Jeff suggested for about 30 seconds, then plug in your AC adaptor without the battery and charge for 12-24 hrs. Hopefully, your CMOS battery will be charged.

Are you able to access your BIOS? Try F2 or F12 repeatedly before the Toshiba logo appears. I was getting messages about the RTC clock battery having a low charge. Try connecting an external USB keyboard if you are unable to get into the BIOS by hitting the appropriate F keys. This is what I had to do to get it to connect to BIOS and reset my date/time. Then it would boot. Also, check whether or not you are using sleep. Sleep doesn't play well with laptop when turning them back on in my experience, and I disable it altogether. Generally, hibernate works ok, though. Not sure why.

If you are fortunate to have an access panel (I do not) on the bottom of the laptop, you can probably access the CMOS battery from one of the panels, likely the RAM panel. The battery is usually a coin cell, often CR2032, that is held in place by clips on the motherboard. Wearing an anti-static strip, simply pop out the cell and replace it with a new one.

If you are like me and don't have an access panel, you could try what I did and remove your bottom panel. Google removal bottom panel toshiba satellite for lots of advice. Basically just remove all the screws on the bottom of the plastic bezel and remove the battery if so configured and optical drive if one is present. I used a guitar pick to gently insert it between the plastic bezel and the motherboard layer and very slowly pry up the panel. Be careful here. It is easy to break the tabs that hold it all in place. Once the panel is off, look for the aforementioned coin cell on the motherboard. It is somewhat smaller than a quarter usually. If, like me, you don't have see one anywhere, then it is probably either hiding under some other component like the RAM, hard drive, or blower, or more likely it is on the *top* side of the motherboard. This is a real problem since I don't see an easy way to access this without either removing the keyboard assembly or completely removing the motherboard and disconnecting all the myriad connectors to gain access to the CMOS battery.

Now, at this point, we can wonder WTF, Toshiba?! This is the situation I find myself in. I have a L55D-B5364 Satellite, which has NO access panels. I removed the bottom panel to gain access to the RAM, which I was able to upgrade to 16GB, and to the HDD, which I replaced with an SSD, but no joy in finding the CMOS battery. I am not going to try to remove the motherboard just to get to the CMOS, so I still don't have a solution myself. If anyone has experience with this and has found the CMOS for this or a comparable model, please enlighten me as to how to access it. Toshiba Support refused to tell me any information regarding the CMOS battery, which seems in bad form to me...

Hi. While it's been a while since you posted this answer, I may have found the reason as to why Toshiba Support were reluctant to supply any information on the CMOS battery, or RTC battery in the case of this model. This is because, according to the maintenance manual, the CMOS/RTC battery is integrated in with the main battery of the laptop and therefore is not accessible. This also explains why the issue occurs after having not used the laptop for several months and while the main battery remaining uncharged.

Hope this clears up any confusion as to why Toshiba Support wouldn't provide any answers on accessing the CMOS/RTC battery.

The Jap owned Toshiba Crooks DO NOT back their throw-away JUNK--Never Buy Toshiba!

Thought it better to repost here....

Thanks to all ... The many contributions helped me.... My Toshiba P55W-C5200X had the same problem immediately after changing power options from "open lid = power on" to "Power switch = power on". Opened up the back to try the various fixes recommended however I found power switch had fallen apart. (So much apart that the "Push down on keyboard just above power switch " could not work for me. I removed the switch (3 pieces), then bridged the switch contacts. Laptop powered up immediately. Next I went into Power Options and set "When i press the power button:" to "Do nothing" AND "When I close the lid:" to "Sleep " for BOTH "On battery " and "Plugged in". Saved changes then clicked "Panel Open - Power On "... Toshiba System settings window opens... Scrolled down to find "switch" and Enabled "Panel Open - Power On ". ..... THEN I replaced the base.

how did you bridge the switch contacts?

Try doing a static discharge take battery out hold power button 30 seconds then put battery backi in and power it up

wow dis really worked for me, was having same issue but i have to do it four times r epeatedly. tnx

My Toshiba would not boot up with a black screen. I tried the recommended fixes. Nada. Turned the laptop upside down and used a hairdryer on high heat and blew into the vents for about 1 minute, being careful not to melt the plastic. Voilà it booted up and now I'm running diagnostics

Toshiba P55W-B5112 would power off when battery still had a charge and would not power back on though when plugged in the charging light would light up. Replaced the battery thinking that was the issue, but the same thing would happen. The only way I could get it to power back up was to disconnect the battery which is inside under the back cover. (Note: if you decide to do this yourself on this model, you need to be very careful as the power button cable is connected to the power button board attached to the back cover and needs to be disconnected before you can fully remove the back cover. Open the back cover only at a 45 degree angle or less until you get this cable disconnected from the motherboard.) Found that if the battery was left unplugged and only used the power adapter that this wasn't an issue. Concluded that the most likely issue is that the battery port on the motherboard is shorting out. Will be replacing the motherboard and if that fixes the issue, as I'm fairly certain it will, I will edit this to let you know. Hope this helps someone out there.

Edit: Motherboard replacement worked beautifully, so bad battery port on the motherboard was the culprit.

Take your toshiba satellite's battery off for about 10. While you blowing your laptop with hot hairdryer.

I recently had problems with my toshiba satellite c55 not rebooting. I tried the whole remove battery, hold power button for 30 seconds, put battery back in, plug in, turn on thing-didn't work. My problem did seem a bit unique though. When I plugged it in and tried to turn on, every few seconds it would sound like it was gonna start, and then didn't. So what what I ended up doing was getting a screw driver and opening the compartment that (I think) has the fan (it's the only openable compartment back there via removing one screw) and it was super dusty in there. I dusted it off, put it back together, clicked the power button, and bam, a miracle.

i could be a bad fuse ( a zero resistance resistor) as well. mine was very close to the battery connector,

I replace it and now it works no problem, but if you can't do soldering work you might looking to buy a new board

Daniel Godsel will be eternally grateful.