Also known as the PS one, or the PSone, this device is the slim version of the original PlayStation, released in 2000.

Darkened screen and distorted colors.

Hi! I have a ps one (the remodeled, smaller playstation) and Ive always used it gently. These days I rarely use it, but I always have it ready for use in my room. A month ago I turned it on and the screen looked darkened and the colors somewhat distorted. Videogamewise, the machine works and reads cds perfectly. Could it be a problem with the video output of the machine? Ive tried with different tvs and cables, and the result is always the same. A technician told me that this issue has no way of being fixed, and recommended me to change the motherboard. Is this true? Is there still a way to fix it without changing the motherboard? Thanks for reading! ;)

Thanks! Your suggestions make a lot of sense. Maybe i will take it to a general technician (not a biased, videogames technician) and he will be able to fix the unit. By the way, i just bought a ps in excellent state on ebay for 39 bucks. You were right! :D Thanks!

Outside in a hot sunny day will not work. Using a heatgun would work but it is probably not the issue and a heat gun will more than likely burn or warp the board since it isn't a controlled heat it will not stop at the 300-600 degrees that would be needed. I think you may have a loose joint on the a/v connector itself. It is possible that the gpu has a issue but loosing color isn't the first thing that I would put on that kind of fault. (Lockups or no startup would be one that would point to it) Another thing to check would be a bad capacitor or resistor. It also could be a setting like progressive scan or ntsc/pal setting. Not sure since I do not have the unit in front of me. I find these systems at goodwill all the time for around 5 to 15 dollars.

bernardo will be eternally grateful.