Repair and support for the controllers that shipped with the PS3. Released mid 2008, the six-axis lithium battery powered controller (CECHZC2) is straightforward to repair.

Why doesn't my PS3 controller work?

My PS3 controller recently stopped working after a friend borrowed it. It worked fine prior to his use, but now it seems like it has no power—and when I plug it in, it doesn't connect for charging. I can't use it and am wondering if it could be the lithium battery or if there is a soldered connection that came undone from the USB port. Can this be repaired or is this $50.00 controller that is less than a year old garbage?

My controller will only work on my charger and I've tried multiple new chargers but it won't work now help

My ps3 controller is not turinig off no mayter what. I even turned off the system and its still on. It is stuck on player one even tho i set my other controller to player one. None off the button works not even the home button some one please help me. And it is not a dualshock controller. My gmail is morenokid077@gmail.com

my ps3 controller worked yesterday and today it wont turn on i plugged it up and it still wont come on help does anyone know how to fix it

My controller switched to alternate from normal and I can't change the settings back

So I played tonight then I was putting a movie in it just turn off I put the charger in it didn't do anything.

Did you try resetting the controller? There is a pinhole in the back of the controller. Take a paperclip and press the button with it.

This should fix it.

A reset button button being pushed does not invalidate the warranty. This would do a force over write of ROM, device memory where required, check battery, and clock and run a series of tests. Resets, is the very first thing used by any Electronic organization to fix anything.

yes......this work, thank you taught i had to buy another controller. thank you!!! even tho it's an old post.

Any ideas why a ps3 pad would die & not be recognised after reset was pushed ??

@njfrancis

m8, if the reset does not work you are most likely with a dead battery on your hands. The batteries of this controller are replaceble and its a fairly easy fix. If you own another controller, try switch the batteries. If you dont, try to borrow a controller from a friend and do it, you won´t break anything. Moreover, if the trouble persists after the try with a known good battery, obviously the problem is elsewhere in the device and its most likely not worth the time and money.

PS: upvote if useful

I have the same problem. I changed the battery, replaced it with a new one, nothing. I opened my second controller, put the new battery in, it works. Put the battery from second controller in the damaged one, nothing. But connected directly to a power source is working just fine.

Any ideas?

I have put together an article on every solution I could find on how to fix the charging problem: PS3 Controller not Charging Fix

I wouldn't fix it if it was under warranty. Get it replaced with Sony first, if possible. But do not mention it has been abused. If it looks good, they'll probably give in but don't come crying to me if you get caught.

2015 note: If you're going to try this, then don't cry to me when you get caught and suffer.

I know! I should go to Gamestop, to get it fixed. They will send it back in a few days.

@ezzygreen, do you mind to explain your downvote on this answer? Downvotes are reserved for wrong or misleading answers. None of this applies to this answer and it is a very valid answer.

Hi: reflow my ps3 fat and it worked, but my controller do not ,I tried 4 different one , and rest button several times , i was wondering if a cable became disconnected during reassembly, and what cable? Thanks Woody

Solved ! Get the same usb type cable with data support.. like printer cable so that your ps3 controller can be detected by laptop/PC . You will see the controller lights blinking the moment you insert in the PC (install the drivers first or win 8 which has pre-installed drivers for ps3 controller). Insert and remove couple of times the USB cable until your ps3 controller is able to start up (don't start playing immidealy let it charge first) ..then charge normally . I once tried this with dead iPod it worked and it worked with my PS3 controller too.

Does it matter that I have a dual shock 3 controller and trying to connect to an older model counsel, its a 55gd ps3

thank younso much!!! it worked :d

whn the controller is not used for a long time thy 4get so to remind thm plug thm to a Pc, thy immediately light up.thnx @ Chris,I almost thrown thm out of the window.

I had the same problem. Tried reset button, nothing. I had a spare battery around from an older controller and replaced it. It worked. I thought I'd retry the original battery again and it worked too. I think maybe my kids dropping it might have dislodged the battery connector at one point.

We all have the same PS control but my in charge start I'll

The remote dropped off a night stand last night. Same problems as above (ie no lights at all). Changing cords and resetting were ineffective. Had to disconnect and reconnect the battery and it got everything going again.

I have several possible solutions that I have learned;

Maybe open the controller up, disconnect the battery, then put it back in, or see if there is any liquid in the controller.

The most obvious way is to get a paper clip, then press the reset button with it.

Turn on the PS3, connect the controller to the PS3, hold the PS button on the controller, then restart your PS3. Release the PS button when the PS3 is fully turned on.

What do you mean by "restart"

Turn off and turn on.

I want to share what worked for me,

I plugged the usb onto the ps3 while off, turned it on, plugged the ps3 controller into cord held down ps button and held down on off button till turned off. Then as im still holding ps button turn it back on. Its working for me again.

Side note: just skip the curroption thingy it restarts the controller before its charged enough

all i did was took apart the casing, unplugged the battery from inside, and plugged it back in, but mine wasnt under warranty, and it worked straight away

I have searched the internet for days and tried everything from reset button to updates, charged it overnight and even got a new USB cable! My dual shock 3 wouldn't connect, just flashed the 4 red lights. Then I tried exactly as you did, popped the controller open, unplugged & plugged the battery back in and it started working immediately! Thank you!

dat didn't work

reset the controller itll ork fine its cos youre friend used it so its trying to connect to that. not sure why charging it ont work but reseting it is fine

Try pressing the tiny reset button on the back, and then try to charge it.

My brand new controller was completely dead. I had it in the charger for hours, then took it out and tried turning it on. Still no life signs.

Then I pushed the reset button on the back with a paperclip, and pushed all the buttons again. Still no luck.

Then I plugged it back in again, and finally the LEDs started flashing.

Hi I faced similar problem once after not using my controler for long time the battery drained and it failed even to charge again, as controller becomes dead even fails to start. Thus, it will not be detected. So simple solution ... which works . Plug it to your PC install drivers for ps3 controller first. Plug it out after 5-10 secs and again plug it in and repeat this until you see controller's light blinking, it will give a small charge just to turn on the controller and it will be able to get detected by PC and will charge successfully . Certainly the battery has drained and should can be replaced. By charging and regualar use batteries can go still 2-3 years easy. Leave a comment if it worked for you . Thanks .....

What is drivers for the ps3

Files needed by the PC for your PS3 controller, usually is included in new system.

try using the usb charging cable for the controller and connecting it to a computer or so. it worked for me while all the other methods refused

I don't know try the small reset button on back use needle or paperclip

I did it will not work I pressed the reset button no matter what it does it's own thing it will reset when it wants to that's not what it's supposed to do

trentanmichele will be eternally grateful.