The Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is a compact SUV that was manufactured and marketed by Jeep from 1997 to 2001. Sharing the name of the original full-size SJ model, but without a traditional body-on-frame chassis, the XJ instead featured a light-weight unibody design.

2001 Jeep Cherokee driver side door lock not working.

I recently repaired my speaker in the driver side front door of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport but when I put the inside panel back on the door lock won't work. The inside lock button is stuck in the on position (but the door is not locked) and will not move and the key lock will not lock the door. If I take the panel off and disconnect the cables to the lock, the lock works per using the cables and the key also works. Its like every time I put the inside panel back on something is out of line. I know I am connecting the cables correctly as it is impossible to get them backwards. The power lock locks the other doors but not this one although I hear it working. I really think this is mechanical, not electrical. I also don't believe the cables got bent as they are pretty heavy duty. I am wondering if something happened to the levers where the cable connects to door. I did the same thing to passenger door, while trying to fix that speaker, but everything went back together without a hitch.

did you ever get this fixed? and how?

Joe Pennell, try to follow that attached power lock ==>>exj_8p.pdf<<== instructions. Let us know if this works out for you. If not, attach lots of images with your question so that we see what you see.

First I want to thank you for your help. I have looked at the sheets but I am convinced that the issue is mechanical. I have the door panel off right now and the lock cable linkages disconnected. The lock/unlock works correctly whether by key, push/pulling the cables or the power lock button. It is when I put everything back together that the problem happens. The mechanical lock/unlock button gets stuck in the forward (lock) position and cannot be put in unlock, although the door is unlocked. Also though the key can be turned it does not lock the door and it resists turning. My thoughts are either the cables got bent , the door brackets are malfunctioning , or something is out of line at the lock mechanism itself which I reached and felt but cannot feel anything wrong but will try to get a better look. I have downloaded 3 pictures to the original question and they appear to be there through edit but I don't see how to access them from here.

Thanks again for any help.

Joe Pennell use this guide Adding images to an existing question to add images to your question

Thanks again. Did not understand that I had to click on the downloaded image to actually attach it to the question. I don't know if these images help but they show the parts I am talking about. I did look at the actual locking mechanism but do not see any apparent issues. The last is the door back together and the switch in the middle in locked position and it won't move much. The thing is the door is unlocked. You know this all worked before I started the speaker project. I also did pull out the switch block and re-soldered the window lock button so now all buttons seem to work. Took the other door apart and put it back together again with no issues. I am getting too old for Murphy's Law.

Did you happen to figure out the issue? Replaced my speakers and have the same problem with both front doors.

Your cables are bent...had this happen to me...straighten them out just a bit. No need to take the cables off just use your hands

Joe Pennell will be eternally grateful.