Model A1285 / 8 or 16 GB capacity

iPod won't turn on or charge

I have an iPod 4th generation nano. Yesterday morning my iPod was working, the battery was low so I plugged it into a wall outlet. I noticed that it was still turned on so I turned it off. The charging battery icon came on. About 20 minutes later I was going to listen to it while it was charging. The screen was black, the charging battery sign was off. it would not come on. So I continued to charge it for several hours. I checked it and still nothing. I connected to several usb ports on my computer, and still nothing happened. Normally when I plug the ipod into the computer a box will appear about charging the iPod. But nothing happened. I went to itunes and it didn't recognised the iPod. I tried to reset it several times by turning the hold button off and on and holding the menu and select down for 6 -30 seconds. Will appreciate any help. Thank you.

4th generation classic or 4th generation nano??

4th generation nano

Thank you

you're welcome

i think there are 2 possible problems

a faulty battery or a faulty logic board

if the board failed - you'r out of luck, logic boards costs the same as a used nano 4g (sometimes even more)

if the battery failed - replace it. i don't know if you have a mulitmeter to measure the voltage of the battery - but this would be my first test, if the voltage would be lower than 3v - it would be gone, some ipods are simply "dead" when the battery dies - so it's hard to tell if the board died or the battery.

The screen on my ipod 4th generation went black. Tried everything, escept for holding the menu button 6-30 sec. Thanks so much Mark.

Kate

Likewise!

Well this isn't a answer it a problem on my iPod nano. I was wounding if you have an answer to this. So night I plugged it into the computer to charge because at that time in my house we didn't have thing to put the charger in to. So a large storm came though and I think it wiped out my iPod nano, because now when I try to charge it it goes to the apple thingy then it turns off and the screen is white for a one second then its back to the apple thingy and does it all again.so if have any idea of what is happening to iPod nano please tell me.

I have a problem too , about my ipod 4th gen .. It wont charge .. If i plug the charger the Apple logo just appears not the battery saying thats its already charging .

pamela will be eternally grateful.