Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

acer aspire e 15 screen off w/power supply connected, fine w/battery

screen goes blank when power supply plugged in but ok with battery. rebooted but same thing happens

are you using the original charger it came with?

My aspire is two days old!!!!! Black screen????

I'm just going to return to best buy.

Was soooo wanting the blue light filter.

Does this problem go away??????

With your computer unplugged, right-click Start --> Power Options --> Choose when to turn off the display.

Under the "plugged in" ... move the brightness slider all the way to the left. Plug it in now, you should be good to go.

Clearly a bug in Windows 10

Make sure to click Save settings !!

Thank allot Randy LeBlanc for your reply and the solution.

It will perfectly work and it has settled my problem.

appreciate it

Ditto, only started happening after update to Windows 10 !

I thought it was the voltage or my power adaptor or something. Running fine on battery, but screen went off when laptop power lead was plugged into socket in hotel abroad. Borrowed an adaptor from hotel reception, but same result. Should have Google'd first... Don't know how you found the solution, but well done!

This has been driving me crazy for a while. Thanks so much for the fix!

Partly followed some of advice I read, just pressed FN button and then left arrow screen at same time, the screen brightened instantly. Didn't save or do anything else, so was very simple. Problem occurred after updating to Windows 10. So relieved this has worked, as looked like a serious problem... Was very inconvenient. Thanks for advice, hope this useful to others.

That should have read press FN button and left arrow KEY at the same time.

The first option didn't work for me but this one did. Thanks very much!!! :)

Either options are working for me..

Please help??

thankyou!! this finally worked for me.

Wife upgraded to win 10 on her Acer laptop last night, worked ok but this morning black screen. power settings and brightness ok. FN and left arrow worked to get screen back! thanks, major crisis averted!

This worked for me. Thanks very very much. It was a nuisance!

Randy: I researched the issue, doing a lab with two differents notebooks and apparently the issue is with the combination of Intel HD Adapter and Windows 10. My dad has an Acer E1 with this graphics adapter and the issue appears after update the notebook to Windows 10. With Windows 8.1, the notebook runs flawless. In my case, I have a Dell Studio 1557, an older notebook, with a ATI Radeon HD 4500 graphics adapter and I don't have the issue.

Your workaround works perfectly in the Acer E1 with Intel graphics adapter.

Best Regards.

Roberto Gacitua

Here is the thing. Acer will switch to battery when the battery is fully charged.

This will switch the sleep, and Power settings to battery mode, despite of the fact that you have it plugged in with the Charger that was included or not.

This means that if you have the settings between battery, and "plugged in" set differently, the Acer will default to the battery sleep settings.

The switch control for this is in the hardware, not the software, and not user servicible.

It causes display glitches and disrupts both Bluetooth, and Wi-fi as it switches between battery, and charger.

It will do this even if both sets of settings, are the same.

A few weeks ago, my little cousins were using my Dell M6400 laptop when it suddenly stopped working and the screen wouldn't turn back on. I had already accepted this to be the end of my old trusted laptop when I did a little internet search to see if I could fix the problem. I came across this page and followed the fix for the windows 10 bug.. I was so shocked when it worked! I highly recommend you follow these instructions and I already silently said goodbye to my laptop. Thanks so much!

Unsure of what you mean by "cant see driver" Generally if a driver isn't loaded you'll see Unknown Device and you wouldn't know what the device is....however there are ways to figure it out.... please expand

I have the opposite problem. Will power on when plugged in, and even though it says battery is 100% charged, shuts down when I unplug the cord. Windows 10 update last night. Any suggestions?

i did what you said and the problem is gone .

it was very helpful

thank you

PHILIP MYERS will be eternally grateful.