Repair for cars and trucks manufactured by German automaker Mercedes-Benz.

radiator hose connection nipple broken off.

On the top of the radiator is a small plastic connection of which a hose connecting the radiator with the coolant expansion tank. this hose is small and is connected above a larger hose to a small plastic nipple the hose is connected to and clamped on. the neck of the nipple broke off, leaving a hole where coolant pours out. Is this a separate part or can it be fixed?

The Radiator hose connection nipple broken off Question is for 2001 Mercedes ML320. Fluids are leaking, I need help PEOPLE!

Les, said its a one man Job and his response to mine was great!! However it takes atleast some previous experience wrenching or repairing a vehicle. And unless you have a shitload of tools lying around you may run up to local auto parts for a couple sockets or a metric odd man size. It took me 45 minutes to an hour just to tear it down nicely and keep all my nuts and bolts in order "however my screws could be loose" If I were to say a half hour for whole job. But stevies youtube video on this ml320 radiator change, well lets just say the brother saved me some cash for my alluminum heads on the small block chevy 350 im playing with. Not much for imported Im american Muscle Car fan, But im not racist about cars. I can always appreciate a good vehicle no matter shape, size, or color.

oh yeah and it took me well over an hour putting back together and thats with fluid top offs and bleeding of the system. TO Bleed: Take resivoir cap off and turn car on and let it heat up. "comon my peeps"

Hi, similar issues show up on a lot of these older Mercedes. If this piece breaks off you can try to fix it with some epoxy. But it is not a separate part. If you don't like the idea of fixing it with epoxy, or that does not hold up, you will have to replace the radiator.

Thanks Nicolas

I thought about whether this pastic nipple was a separate part, so researched it on the Internet and at the dealer, Mercedes mechanics, etc. to no avail. There where no clear pictures or parts listed, so thought, since it broke of pretty clean (leaving a clean round hole where it had been attached to the radiator) what if I used a rubber grommet. Grommets have a slit that can be placed inside the hole on both sides. I then force 1/2 the nipple (after making sure to smooth any edges) into the grommet which made a tight seal. Next I attached the hose from the coolant reservoir to the other end of the nipple with a clamp. No more leaks. Dealer Estimated Cost of job $556.00 --DIY $3.56 with tax.

You may need to drill the hole a tiny bit bigger to give the grommet room to expand while inserting the nipple. Epoxy method seems like a good alternative Too!

Hi Guys:

I have a Mercedes Benz 2000 ML320 , with the same problem my plastic nipple broke off. I tried fixing it with epoxy but its not a lasting fix it will leak. So I want on ebay and got a New radiator which fits the ML320 for only $79.99 life time. and did the job myself, I live in New York city and the roads are very hard on a car! I guess I could have done what Bethellowell did with the grommet on both sides and a clamp! but I live in New York and the streets are bad on a car I don't baby my car I ride it hard and a quite fix will only have me back with the radiator problem. Mercedes Dealer wants over $600 very costly, $79.99 and just getting my hands dirty was my best way. oh I should say you need two people for the job my brother helped me. Taking a Mercedes Benz 2000 ML320 radiator out is not a one man job.

03/4/2016 by leslie Jimenez

I have nipple problem as well. Also my grommets are getting loose these days. I can get my hands dirty and spend $80.00. But I don't have a brother to help me. However there is a good YouTube video with a brother doing the job alone and it seems he had no trouble at all and he didn't even get his hands dirty, just his shirt. Lol . being greasy and getting greasy are two different things guys.

Soul man

Oh yeah, epoxy melts away over several hours and I'm certain that Wallace and gromment are not full proof so check out the dark man's video here at m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIAcIgCJ4k

Hi Sash: this is Les, okay so u don't have anyone to help u ! u can still do it. Remember my Mercedes is a ML 320, 2000 with 1,400 miles on it, the video mated by the brother is good for a Mercedes 2002. they should be the same. from 1998-2008. after u follow the brothers video if the radiator gives u a hard time to pull up and out! then use a crowbar at the bottom of each end that's how I got my radiator out. Good luck its really a easy job, 30 minutes top.

bethellowell will be eternally grateful.