Repair guides and support for riding, or ride-on, mowers, also known as lawn tractors, of all types used in tending large tracts of land.

John Deere LA105 Engine dies when blades engaged.

Hi we have a John Deere LA 105 and are having some problems. Everything seems to run fine until the blades are engaged. Turning the blades on seems to cut the fuel to the engine and the mower turns off. We've replaced all the filters and fluids and spark plug. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Answer

Assuming there is no safety interlock that won't allow the engine to run when the deck is lifted, and assuming it's in the down/cutting position when you engage it, and, assuming the deck is not seized-up, which would probably stall the engine, engaging the deck slowly should allow it to spin up. I've had older ride-ons that nearly stalled each time the deck was engaged, due to a build up of grass, or bad belts. Can you (of course with the engine off) rotate the blades easily? If not, you need to look for binding.

You should be able to located the seat saftey switch under the seat it must be faulty or have some wires naked and arcing off the frame I would suggest unplugging the safety switch see what happens if the blades engage then the switch if faulty.

make sure it's not in reverse, or reverse switch could be bad. I was working on mine each time i tried to engage deck it would cut off . forgot i had it in reverse

cuddles5226 will be eternally grateful.