Model A1369, 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 GHz Processor, 64, 128 or 256GB Flash Storage

Roaring fan + super slow after Display/Lid replacement

Hi there,

Today I installed a brand new display/lid assembly using the guide here on iFixit. The laptop (besides the screen) was working fine before I attempted repairs, I had it plugged into an external monitor and all was working as normal. However after completing the replacement successfully (screen now 100% working) there is a new problem!

Upon turning the Air on the fan speed keeps increasing until it reaches max rpm (so loud!!) and the Yosemite loading bar crawls at an absolute snails pace (taking maybe 2-3 mins just to boot) but even the mouse cursor is extremely laggy etc.

I have read on another forum post (in that case the air had been liquid damaged) that it's an SSD issue, but my Air has had no liquid damage and was working normally before this repair!

Steps I have taken to try and solve the problem so far:

SMC reset

Removing cpu fan cable and reinserting into logic board

Removing ssd, wiping connector, socket + solder points with isopropyl and reinstalling onto logic board

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance :)

have macbook pro with same problem cant find solution. mac goes great without case lid. put it on and goes slow and fans run at 100 percent

sorry, don't know what happened to the rest of my comment above. I took it to the Apple Store and explained the situation, they ran their special diagnostic which told them that there was a malfunctioning temperature sensor in my computer, and the error code narrowed it down to my trackpad! Turns out when I was putting my computer back together I didn't properly connect the trackpad ribbon cable to the logic board. So all they did was open it back up, and re-seat the cable, turned it on and it now runs like a dream!

The computer was taking AGES and the fan was roaring up due to its own safety features, the computer detected a faulty temp sensor so it automatically heavily reduces the CPU clock speed (resulting in a VERY slow computer) and it spins the fan at max RPM as its assuming a worst case scenario of extreme temperature.

Hope this helps!! :)

Did you ever this figured out? I just had a brand new display installed and am experiencing the same issues. I am freaking out!

Hi there! Yes I did find the solution to the problem

have same problem cant finde solution. only works good without case lid

Hi I am having the exact same issue....However at apple store they just ran test and told me to fix it I have to send it out for repair. Can you give any more details as to what I can try before I send it out for repair. I already tried reconnecting all the display cables. The only mistake I could have made is reconnecting the small wifi/bluetooth cables etc....j0 j1 j2, its a tiny three cables by the left fan..Does the order makes difference? they are exactly the same. I tried few different options too....So I am not sure what else to do.. which one is the trackpad cable? is that the other small flat shaped cable that connects display by the left fan?

Will appreciate any feedback!

Good news! ..and some bad too. The good news is, I found the issue! After testing old screen against new and checking all connections I narrowed it down to the (I believe its camera cable). Its the one that tied in with three tiny cables at the left fan. When its unplugged everything works great. New display works great and computer runs smooth as it used to. With that cable being unplugged, I also lost the camera. Both Skype and Photo Booth says there is no camera connected, that how I figure its camera connection. Is this cable responsible for more than just a camera? Cause if I get partial refund on display might as well live with this. Not a big deal i guess, since I never used it besides Skype..But do you know anything about this? Could this be something that may be resolved in OS?....Any feedback on this? Thanks in advance!!

I think I might have discovered the source of frustration here. I ran into the same issue after replacing the display on my wife's late 2014 MacBook 13". The display replacement went great thanks to the iFixit detailed instructions, but when I reassembled and turned it on I got the high fan RPM symptom and throttled CPU symptom.

Googling the problem showed me that I wasn't the only person this had happened to, however, it didn't seem that there was a definite fix, except letting the Apple techs have at it.

I remembered, during reassembly, having a bit of difficulty getting the camera cable inserted, and remembered thinking that I was having to use far too much force to get the connector to seat. I had inserted the connector in the orientation in which it laid naturally on the logic board assuming that it was correct.

I also recalled seeing the gold pins of the camera connector during disassembly of the faulty display facing me when I removed the cable. So I flipped the cable over and it slid easily back into the connector and seated securely without force. Voila!

Everything is working perfectly now. Anyone attempting to replace the display on a late 2014 MacBook 13" should be aware of the fact that the flat camera cable might not be oriented the correct way for insertion. Make sure the gold contacts are facing you when inserting!

Can you give me a more detailed idea of which cable you are talking about? I installed my new display last night and am having this exact problem. I feel like my mac might blow up.

Antoni Pasalic will be eternally grateful.