Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

iPhone won't charge or turn on after screen replacement?

Hi all, I recently replaced the screen on an iphone 6 plus, and after the replacement the phone will not charge, my computer will not recognize its plugged in, and I can't get it to turn on. It's basically bricked. Any solutions to this problem? the iphone was sitting for weeks before the replacement, so I don't believe it was on during the replacement, but I did forget to disconnect the battery during. I tried a few methods online to try to unbrick it but the iphone is completely unresponsive.

has this been solved @Torin Weatherbee?

Most Helpful Answer

Disconnect the battery then with screen and all still attached plug it into charger

With battery disconnected and plugged into charger it should just show the apple logo and boot loop...

The reason I say to do it with battery disconnected is because...

if battery did go faulty and was connected then it wouldnt do anything on the display

i have the same problem!

i have try with battery disconnected and still no logo no boot loop..

any idea?

i have a very similar problem, i have just fitted another screen as i thought the first was faulty, all i get is the back-light on, my pc does recognise the phone , but no picture on the screen, if i put the original screen back on then it works fine apart from the smashed glass so sort of rules out long screw damage, i am stumped to be honest

you brought a dodgy chinese lcd as some have bad ic chips or you haven't connected it properly but sounds like its just because its a cheap screen, as it works ok with your original screen fine

i recently replaced the screen on my iphone 5s and after the replacement the phone will not charge, my computer does recognize it wen its plugged in, but i can't get it to turn on. Any solutions to this problem?

The U2 IC chip is damaged. This is caused mostly from unauthorized chargers plugged into the device. Also can be caused by car chargers from fluctuating power from the alternator. This throws power through the charging port, and the power that is jetting through the charging port laughs as it propagates to the logic board and blowing or damaging the chip. If you are able to charge it from the wall but the device is unrecognizable to a PC, then the chip is damaged. If you are unable to do either, it is blown completely. Cheep china knock offs also have power issues with the back light which will also blow filters for both the digitizer and the LCD.

I had issue where it seemed IPhone 6 Plus did not turn back on after replacing display. Also, was not being recognized via ITunes on PC. Was under impression phone was dead..

After reseating cables, and confirming screws were placed into proper location, I plugged phone into firewire to see if possibly battery issue. One hint to recognize phone was not dead was that the back of the phone would become warm after roughly 5 minutes. Second hint, when attempting to apply ribbon cable plate to display/Home button/Digitizer (don't recall the 4 th cable) location, I found a ribbon cable was covering one of the screw holes. Turned out, I had ribbon cables plugged in wrong order. As soon as I placed in proper order, phone powered on..

Hope this helps someone!

Wow, I didn't even think that was possible, but your description was spot on. the cable was covering one of the screw holes. Once i re arranged the cables correctly, it started up without an issue. (except for the white lines on the top caused by a bad connector on the logic board). Thanks for posting your solution, it saved me from going nuts.

@dfransella, the white flashing bars at the top of the screen are due to a failure in the touch circuit on the board, usually requiring replacing the two touch IC. Be sure to have a back-up because once touch function is lost, you won't be able to back-up until the touch ICs have been replaced by someone competent enough not to cause secondary issues. Check my profile, there is a link to a list of micro soldering (mail-in or walk-in) technicians (all over the world) that can perform this kind of repair.

@rany , do you mind if I contact you? Just some general questions on going the microsoldering route. I have a few phones laying around here and stumbled on another today that are still dead after a screen replacement. Im not asking for help, just general advice on what route to take when I get these in.

Sure. Shoot.

I just replaced my wifes lcd screen on iphone 6. I was having the same problem. the phone would not turn on. looked online and found someone said to do a hard reset of the phone. so I held both home button and the top or side button for 30 SECONDS. you have to hold it until It show the connect to iTunes screen. after that it works great. I was going nuts connecting and disconnecting the plugs thinking I screwed something up during replacement. maybe people having this problem could try this and see.

The most common causes for iPhones that seem "dead" after screen replacement are the following, as we've seen them and fixed them in our workshop:

1- No display (no image) or no backlight (extremely dim image), due to using a defective part or damaging it during install. iTunes should see the phone. A replacement screen should solve the issue.

2- No display, due to long screw damage = mixing screws on the plate that secures the screen cables. iTunes should be able to see the phone as well.

3- No back-light, due to damage to back-light circuit during screen installation. iTunes will see the phone.

4- Phone is dead due to using metal tools and causing pry damage or a short. Should not be detected by iTunes.

Whatever the cause, apart from "1," you need the help of a micro soldering technician to repair the phone.

After Apple store technician replaced my iPhone 6S+ broken screen, it won't turn on. No display at all. They said they tried a couple of new screens and my broken screen won't work either. iTunes sees the phone. What should I do next? I need to transfer some pictures out. Per your description, should I ask them to try another screen? Thanks.

It display strips now, different each time when pressing the button

lisaxue1, since they tried a couple of screens already, the problem surely is not a bad screen anymore. There are 2 options:

1-Before they attempted to replace the screen there was no image on the screen: something other that the screen was already damaged.

2-Before the repair attempt IT WAS showing an image: they damaged something while trying to replace the screen. This happens more often than you think & I've known many people with such an issue. I personally repaired Macs after technician damage at an Apple Certified Service Provider. I know people who fixed phones after damage at an Apple Store, to get people their pictures back.

Either way, whether they damaged it or it was damaged before, you will need to have a micro soldering technician repair it. The least they can do (the micro soldering tech) is get your pictures and data back. But it is also very likely that you will get back a working device that you can use again.

We do this day in day out and it is perfectly recoverable in my opinion.

I would double check all of the connections, especially the connection for the lighting cable connector, which I believe is right next to the battery connector. If it was sitting for weeks, it probably has a dead battery, so if the lightning ribbon cable isn't plugged in well, it may not be able to charge. I would also just double check all of the screen connectors while you're in there.

thank you, that was my problem

Justin, i have this issue with an iPhone 5S, i got it to repair it, and on opening the device some of the screws and for example the heat shield plate on the CPU is missing, the cover plate on top keeping the screen's connectors in place also missing, when connecting the usb, i tested the port where the battery plugs in, i get 4.8V, this means there's power coming through, but i get NO reaction from the phone at all. what or where can i check to solve this issue?

I had same problem with my 6plus after screen replace. I tryed everything, 4times. Then i noticed one screw hole was behinde one of the connectors. My hand was placed over my face, i put the wrong connectors in the wrong hole. So people, look 2-3times on the connectors when you replace the screen.

I replaced the screen on my phone and now it won't turn on. I tried plugging it in and it made the charging sound. I Waited For A Few Minutes Then Hit The POWERbutton. It just made the charging sound again. And every time I hit the powerbutton. It makes the charging sound but still no response from the phone or screen besides that. Any help please.

If I took a simple guess I'd say the ribbon cable that controls the backlight of the replacement screen's LCD is disconnected underneath the screwed down metal guard. It comes up if you don't bend and tuck cables correctly.

Here are the possible reasons below:

1. Power Distribution Issue

2. The Dead Battery Issue

3. The Damage Board Issue

4. Assembly Issue

5. Problem with Flat Cable Connection

You can check more details here: Why iPhone Won't Turn On After Screen Replacement

I replaced my iPhone 6 Plus screen. After an update my phone will not charge. I took it into the Apple Store and they said that it was because the screen wasn't a genuine apple screen. The phone recognises this and shuts down. Because of the chemicals used in the lcd display it's dangerous to use non Apple replacement parts as they have no idea what chemicals are in the screen. I've contacted my phone repairer so waiting for a genuine screen now to replace my old one to solve the issue.

That's just Apple baloney, not true at all. They're made in the same factories in China, all the same chemicals in the screens (the iPhone cannot tell). Whatever failed on the iPhone, it was not due to the screen or the update. However, since Apple knows it was tampered with by a third party, the "geniuses" are told all kinds of stupid things to tell the average person they assume isn't a technician, simply because they want to get out of the warranty asap. It is better not to mention it's a non-Apple screen, but sometimes they can tell by a non-Apple stamp on the frame or by a screw missing.

Hi friend,I think it is the problem of usb charging port flex cable.

Maybe the flex cable is damaged when it was replacing.You can test it to check.

I just changed my iPhone 6 screen and I tried to turn my phone on after and it isn't turning on. I know its not dead because my phone was on 100% before I turned it off to change the screen. When I try and turn it on, there is no vibrate which lets me know it isn't turning back on. Ive switched the screens back to the broken one, Ive disconnected and reconnected the battery cables and screen cables and still no solution. HELPPPPP!

Same problem

Hi I have the same problem could you solve it?

Connect to iTunes. If iTunes sees it, you may have blown backlight, but more probably long screw damage on bottom left hole of the screen cables retaining plate.

If nothing appears in iTunes, or you see it in restore mode, try to force DFU mode and restore.

If still unsuccessful, you may have long screw damage on the middle screw hole of the screen retaining plate.

Look if charging flex is connected wright, you could disconnect it when you disconnect battery. I just solved the same problem by reconnecting charging flex.

Hi from Russian Caucasian!

what is charger flex

This isn't an answer, more a "Hey, I've got the same kind of problem" sorta deal.

Same story, pulled a repair on a 6+ and I've got nothing. No screen, no vibrate... nothing. Dead as a doornail. Scanny, right? Well, here's what I'm thinking...

So after a ton of what we know as "Touch Disease", I came to the conclusion: Maybe the issue with the chips separating from the board isn't just effecting the Touch IC. Maybe its effecting other chips? Now , I dont have Microsoldering skills or even the know-how, so I cant begin to tackle this problem. But I am curious as to how I can tell if my suspicions are correct. Thoughts? Ideas?

I have the same problem. I took my iPhone 6plus to get new screen and LCD. My phone was dead for about a week before I took it in and about 2 weeks after, it's been on charge all day and all it will do is when you hold home and lock button is show apple logo short amount of time then just go to dark screen. When I do it again it turns off. Please help !!!!

it's the cables!!! they are in the wrong position.

I broke my screen and the day I gst it back it keeps turning off then turns back on. After I get home I charge it and sleep. When i wake up it did not change at all still at 2% So I put it in a new outlet and it goes up 1% and now I have to have it plugged in all the time or it dies. I spent 234 bucks on the new screen. I blame the company. I NEED HELP!!!!!

By order of probability: your battery may be improperly plugged in. Or a bad battery. Or some other board issue.

I have a iPhone 6 plus. It shows apple logo then goes to white screen then goes off then back to apple logo and continue's with the cycle.

It does goes onto apple restore but won't download firmware.

Anyone please know how to resolve this issue.

Try to force DFU then restore. But data will be gone. And what is the history of this phone?

I tried to replace LCD and connector sparked... do you know why? The phone was turned off (6s)

itunes see it, but dispaly is black

Torin Weatherbee will be eternally grateful.