7.9 inch display iPad Mini, with 16, 32, or 64 GB of storage.

Screen flipping out, typing by itself

My son dropped his iPad mini cracking the screen. The iPad still worked fine, he used it that way for a month. It then started typing and changing apps by itself and just flipping out. I assumed it was because the screen was cracked so I got a new digitizer from ifixit. I replaced it carefully using the repair guide. When I powered it back up everything worked fine for a while, then It started doing the same thing again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason why. It will work fine for 20 minutes, then start doing it even if is not being touched. If I power it down then turn it back on, it will work fine for a while, then do it again. Do I need to open it back up and check my work or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Hi Erickson,

Press on the bottom of the screen, left but specially right of the home-button. Does the ghost-touching (iPad working on its own) start then?

If yes, you'll have to open it back up, either 1/to un-pinch the digitizer cable (mistake during installation causes touch-screen cable to be pinched between the top glass panel and the aluminum frame/case underneath); 2/possibly to replace the touch-screen it if the pinched cable is irreversibly damaged; 3/possibly just to apply some Kapton tape to isolate some parts of the touch-screen from the rest of the iPad.

There are many discussions on this website/forum about how to fix those 2 issues. My iPad mini retina is self touching and not responding after replacement.. Let us know if you need more help.

Polyimide Tape Image

Product

Polyimide Tape

$9.95

erickson will be eternally grateful.