Repair guides and support for weed whackers, also known as string trimmers, weed eaters, edge trimmers or line trimmers.

Why is the end of the shaft, and the oil, overheating?

After running the weed whacker for a few minutes the end of the shaft becomes so hot that it will melt the cutting head, you can also hear the oil boiling when you turn the engine off.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

My guess is that the bearing or bushing centering the rotating shaft that spins the cutting head has seized or is damaged beyond repair. It may be easy to remove the cutting head and possibly access the failed bearing/bushing without too many specialized tools.

I'm sure you're right its a defective bearing. It must have come that way having been used very little since new. It does take a special tool to remove the bearing and I dont have it nor can I imagine what such a tool is even called.

Make sure there is no dirt and junk around the engine unit. The shaft may need to be re-lubricated with a high heat lube.

If the unit is a 2-cycle engine, make sure you have the correct fuel-oil mixture in the tank. Having no oil in the fuel mixture will ruin the unit, and possibly lead to melting parts.

If the unit is 4-cycle (not common for a weed wacker) then make sure you give it an oil change.

This writer of this answer appears not to have read the problem at issue because the suggestions have nothing remotely to do with it.

Also check there is no weeds or extra trimmer line wrapped around the shaft causing friction and heat to build up. Check (WITH MOTOR OFF) if the spool is easy to turn and free of debris buildup. Remove spool to check for excess movement from the shaft as said previously. This may be as simple as replacing the shaft bushing or bearing depending on which model you have.

May be the way you start using it have problem. You can prefer to this to find out a good tip when starting this machine http://weedeaterguides.com/how-to-load-l...

I was using my Craftman #316.711023 weed whacker to do normal trimming. After using it for about 15 minutes...not over working it....not just continually gunning it at full speed.....just normal use.....when all of a sudden the cutting head assembly started wobbling & smoking. I then noticed the cutting head was melted and that was why it started wobbling. I think the bearings right above the cutting head got too hot. Nowhere in my owners manual does it say anything about cleaning or lubing the bearings.

I think this model has a defect because this is the 2nd cutting head assembly I am going to have to replace. Last year it did the same thing.....I just didn't realize WHY it happened. This was only the second time I've used the trimmer this season. We have a 3/4 acre yard so I shouldn't be over working it. THERE IS DEFINITELY A DEFECT!!!

Same experience with my fairly new Stihl curved shaft trimmer. Over a year old but only a 3 or 4 hours of use on it. It got so hot it smoked which tipped me off that it was hot. It had been so hot it melted the scatter shield to the shaft housing and I had a fine time getting it off. That is as far as I got because whatever bearing is in there is held in by a round gizmo with a little half moon cutout on the edge, where apparently a special tool fits to unscrew it. The shft turned freely and was not very loose so I asembled it and used it some more. I discovered if I use it lightly it gets hot but not smoking. If I use it constantly wide open, as one normally does, then it overheats in maybe 5 minutes. I wonder if my Stihl is identical to your Craftsman. That would confirm your idea of a defect.

Steve will be eternally grateful.