Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

I can only charge through computer.

I recently purchased this ipod second hand, it had a faulty hard drive, so I didn't check it's charging capabilities before unfortunately, the hard drive change was pretty straight forward and I have left the case open for testing, I have discovered I can only charge when connected to a PC/laptop.

I have tried a second battery, a basic reset, full restore, different USB cables, different wall sockets, different official USB wall plugs, and a USB power pack.

The ipod case is still open.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Just for completion sake, you also tried a different AC charger?

Most Helpful Answer

Whimsa, since it does "charge when connected to a PC/laptop." my first check would be the AC charger. Make sure that is working. My second check would be the dock connector. Check for broken bend or corroded pins. Also clean the connector with some isopropyl alcohol and a few puffs of air

Thanks I know the ac adapter works as it charges my iphone 5, do I clean the dock connector internally? Or when the case is closed up? Is the connector easy to change?

You can clean it either way. No, it is not easy to change. It requires some very fine soldering of 30contacs and 2 points.

I will inspect it later and let you know how I get on.

I checked the pins and they are fine, clean and blown out with compressed air, I'm still not able to charge, thinking I might have to live with it unless there are anymore suggestions? Thanks

I have the same issue. I wonder if new USB cables have a different or incomplete pin-out.

I have the same issue. I replaced the battery and I still have the same problem. I have tried many different chargers and only one with 5V 1.5A will charge it from a wall outlet. Neither 5V 0.85A / 1A / 2A / 2.4A will work.

The firewire charging from an old docking station does work flawlessly.

While changing the battery I tried different configurations. Without the battery, the iPod would actually try to charge when connected to any ac adapter... just weird :(

Whimsa will be eternally grateful.