Replacement of the SSD.

My SSD has just crashed (after 2 years and 4 month...)

It seems that the corresponding SSD is the AData xm11 but i didn't find a replacement easily. But does a equivalent exist ? I don't know very well but it seems that the ones on the MacBook Air looks like quit similar.

Could someone tell me which SSD i could put in my UX31A ?

Thank you very much.

The ux31a has its own proprietary 18 pin connector. Only 2 hard disks were produced for this model, Sandisk U100 and ADATA XM11. Both can be found on eBay (but are quite expensive) or aliexpress (but I'm concerned about the genuinity and reliability).

A good alternative is to buy an adapter, from m.2 to this 18-pin thing, so that you can buy a much cheaper m.2 ssd on your own. This is available from Chinese vendors on both amazon and eBay. I'm currently waiting for my own to arrive, but amazon reviews are pretty good.

Hope this helps!

Hi thank you for you answer. I saw this adapter but i wasn't sure if there were compatible. Anyway i already ordered the Adata XM11 on aliexpress. But there are quite expensive and it's a shame that the SSD fails 4 month after the end of the warranty.

Just wanted to point out that we bought the adapter & an M.2 2280 SSD, & while it works great, the combination is too tall to fit with the back cover installed. Forcing it caused boot errors. We're currently deciding the best course of action, but I may just take a hammer to the cover.

Hello Daniel,

how have you understood that your SSD crashed? Currently my SSD got invisible in the BIOS after a normal power off and it will not show up again....

Can you please also tell which adapter and SSD you have bought?

Thank you

Roman

In my case, the SSD did not crash. It just didn't have insufficient space, so we were looking to upgrade to a higher capacity drive. We bought one of the M.2 NGFF to 18 Pin Blade Adapters available on Amazon. I think it was the one sold by Micro SATA Cables, but both look identical. We bought the Crucial M550 512GB M.2 2280 SSD. The combination works well before the back cover is reinstalled, but as I said, the SSD with the adapter just sits too high, & the cover won't fit without some kind of modification.

Hi Deniel, I'm also looking to replace the SSD since it is starting to fail and the S.M.A.R.T is showing Soft Read errors. I was about to purchase the exact same combination as yours when I came across your post. Where you able to modify the case and if so do you mind sharing how you did it?

Also, is it worth the effort or am I better off just purchasing an XM11?

I sincerely appreciate any response you can provide, Thanks.

Sorry for the slow response. My boss modified the case during Christmas vacation. I haven't seen the work myself, but he said he cut a u-shaped slit in the case near the SSD. He then bent that section out & then flat again so that it would be parallel to the rest of the case but slightly further out. He said he plans to tack weld it into place later & seal with JB Weld, but is just closing it with tape for now. I haven't seen the results myself, but he seems to be happy with it. The bent piece still sits close enough that it doesn't touch when the laptop is on a table, but apparently the clearance is minimal. In his words, had he known this would be the solution from the beginning, he would have settled for the OEM 256GB SSD, but having already purchased the drive & adapter, he is happy with the result.

UPDATE

It appears to be a Phillips or similar. I think I just used a driver from a watch repair kit. It wasn't installed tightly enough for me to worry too much about stripping it out.

I just brought an 18 pin adapter for my zenbook and got a intell 128gb ssd of ebay for $50 dollars and works fine .i was told the original zenbook ssd are crap and they all seem to blow by design a few months after warranty expires! Hence why i brought the adapter and other brand ssd

Have the similiar problem with my UX31E (mainly poor performance of the Sandisk 256GB rather than the SSD dying) and recently upgraded to a Samsung EVO 850 M.2 with a very small adapter on eBay which fits inline with the SSD. This means there is no problems with the back cover.

I know alexandremadurell posted the link, but it's well worth checking for anyone looking at changing/upgrading: https://jure.tuta.si/?p=40

There is a lot of information there and links to the different adapters including the slim-line adapter I used.

Hy Trystan. I've done exactly the same (Samsung EVO 850 M.2 with the M.2 adapter in my UX31) and after I installed Windows 10 from scratch. Before my SSD crashed, I installed the W10 update over W7 original. Now I have the problem that my machine heats up (the fan starts to work too soon comparing to my previous installation before the ssd crash), and the OS crashes too and reboots. I updated completely the OS. What I'm doing badly? Did you install some driver from Asus?

I'm debating myself, which way to take. From one hand, I can find 256G SSDs with original 18-pins for about $100-120 (shipped from China). On another hand, I found an adapter (small one, without long PCB) for $10. But then I have to hunt and bid for M.2 SSDs to get it cheaper than $60-80. Plus, it should be "older" SSD that supports SATA, not just M.2...

jerem0808 will be eternally grateful.