This 2012 K410 model of the Lenovo K Series desktop features a three speed power control switch and a 3rd generation Intel Core processor. Its high preformance graphics capabilities make it an excellent choice for gaming.

Why won't my computer read any CDs or DVDs?

When I insert a CD or DVD into the CD drive, the computer won't read it and doesn't recognize that I've inserted a disk. The computer is working fine other than that.

my dvd drive worked great until I loaded windows 10. now it doesn't even recognize that I have a dvd drive

My desktop is a HP and I too downloaded windows 10 since then no DVD's I can however download games from a DVD

Hi @Deborah Altman,

What media player are you using in Win 10 for your DVDs?

Go to Start > Settings > System > Default apps > Video and see what apps are available to use.

Windows 10 didn't ship with a default DVD player. You will need to download a 3rd party app or Windows DVD Player from the Windows Store ($14.99) to play them. I use VLC and it works well but there are several other options too.

I Have a dell Vostro410 thats allowed me to play CDs 7 DVDs happpily. I Have not downloaded a new system at all. I already have VLC player but suddenly nothing regonises that a disc has been put in the PC at all

Hi there! We have a few ideas that might help you out. Try following these steps:

First, you have to make sure your computer recognizes your optical drive. Check in your resource manager and see if the optical drive icon appears. If not, restart your computer and look again. If it’s still not there, your problem is with your hardware. You can call Lenovo services or check out our CD drive replacement guide!

Check your computer manual make sure that your model is capable of reading the type of disc you’re asking it to. Then check if you’ve inserted the disc correctly and that it has no defects (scratches, dirt, warped.)

Your drive might just be dirty! Grab a can of computer duster and get into all the cracks and crevices of that thing. Can’t hurt.

If it still doesn’t work, you probably have a hardware issue. You may need to repair a part of the drive or replace it all together. They get worn out over time. Take a look at our replacement guide on how to do it yourself.

It was not helpful at all

@kittens003 if there is a problem we can help you with please open a new question with detail of your problem . these answers are of help to some but may not suit your needs if you could give use more info on your problem we can help

Hi @neversanever2

What happens when you insert the disc? Are you getting any error messages when you try to play the DVD?

The disc should start playing automatically. If it doesn't play, or if you want to play a disc that is already inserted, open Windows Media Player, and then, in the Player Library, select the disc name in the navigation pane.

you need to clean your dvd or cd drive and check all connections are ok. if it is still not working then you need to replace your dvd drive and check. is it working now or not ?

First step

you need to check a cable connections always compatible to your dvd/cd rom.

Then go to the bios setting and find the deafault setting and save.

then try to boot.

Emily Kaplan will be eternally grateful.