iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, model no. A1475. Available in Space Gray or Silver, with 16/32/64/128 GB configurations.

replaced glass, home button sunkin in?

hi, I just replaced my iPad Air's broken glass with a replacement from ifixit, the replacement was quality and basically if not certainly a factory item. My problem after a rather successful install is that now my home button is sunkin in on the left side? I am confused. I have the old glass, and I keep clicking the home button and its perfect. But then when I click the home button of the replaced glass, it's like I am sticking my finger in a hole before I hit the button...

Maybe someone from ifixit can responde and let me know if this is something that was supposed to happen. And if not inform me of how to remedy the problem.

Thank you.

Most Helpful Answer

As stated above- transfer the old home button flex cable from your original screen. Remove it carefully with an iSesamo or similar tool. Make sure you transfer the plastic ring that is adhered to the screen between the home gasket and the glass, as this will create sufficient spacing for it to function properly. Remove any old adhesive from the metal surfaces of the home button bracket; I like to attach the assembly to the new screen with Loctite superglue (it's the best I have found, and dries the quickest), and use a strip of thin double sided tape to run the flex cable across the bottom of the digitizer.

There are two interesting things that I have noticed about transferring the home button on the Air. There seems to be an early version that has a thin metal ring acting as a spacer of sorts inside of the home button assembly. Make sure that if you had one it got transferred to the new lens. Also, insufficient adhesive can be a problem. The long metal piece behind where the button actually clicks should stick securely against the lens. If it doesn't you may get that "sinking" feeling.

I have found that some replacements only carry fake buttons, you may need to remove the button and assembly from your old pad and fit it to the new screen. I'm not 100% on this as it's just my experience in the past.

Merely a comment about my home button. We have never repaired nor replaced a thing on my iPad Air (A1475) and recently I started experiencing the same symptoms. Is it likely a poor quality build or engineering design defect (or do I need to get away from home more often)?

I have the same problem and I hope that solves it. Thanks in advance

Did you purchase the ipad air screen with the home button and cable or without them both?

The ipad air home bracket which is the black piece where the cable rests on , that bracket will either need the adhesive replaced or a more stronger added. Or you can try using superglue to glue it down. This will prevent the home button from sinking in.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

Anthony

What adhesive do you recommend? I'd estimate that 50% of the pre-installed home buttons on iPad digitizers that I have installed in the past 6 months have "sunken" or pushed through ... It's starting to make us look bad, but our supplier won't RMA any screens if we super-glue the home button brackets ....

do you have a picture of the home button inside the machine and how it fits in there

ncl3rdy2 will be eternally grateful.