Repair guides and disassembly information PC laptop (notebook) computers of all shapes, sizes, and colors.

How to remove stuck SD card out of laptop's card reader?

Hi everyone!

A while ago I inserted the dummy card in my laptop's card reader slot, but it got stuck. Any ideas how to get it out the slot, so I am able to use the slot?

Andrew

I have tried it several times, but I am not able to get the needle to the end, because there is not enough space. Even with a second pin I am not able to get it out of the cardreader. On the other side are the contact pins and my needle gets stuck there.

Should I use a hobbytool to drill the dummy to pieces? I am affraid that's the best option...

Get a fine sewing pin and put a little hook on the end (about 2mm hook) get the hook in behind the card and gently tug. You may have to use a second pin without hook to guide the card up or down.

I used sewing needle to pry it out--picking at it from the front on the sides and bottom. (It's made of soft plastic and I don't mind if I damage it.) Eventually it came out. YEA!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I uses a very thin sharp knife slid it in the top of the card. Then I wiggled it from side to side. The right side then came out a little more eventuall wiggling it side to side and the left side released. I put it back in and had same problem so I threw the card out and new one worked fine. I believe it was catching on sides not top or bottom.

take some tweezers and pull it out of the card reader thats how I got mine out

It didn't work!

Just damaged the SD card

I got a small piece of packing tape (other tape would probably also work) and inserted it next to my SD card. I kind of pressed it a bit against the SD card and was able to pull it out.

A thin pointed knife and 1 chopstick on each side - ejected in less than 30 seconds.

Get some pliers and pull it out.

Using a sewing pin, push pin, or another thin needle-like tool: Insert gently on each side of the SD card stuck in the slot. Slowly “wedge” out the SD card with just one of the needles until a corner of the SD card is accessible with a pair of tweezers.

Alternatively, if the above method does not work, there is a method that my 12 year old son thought of (my kid is freakin’ smart!).

Get a Post-It note and cut it in 2 small strips the width of the SD card. Be careful not to touch the sticky portion during the process (so you don’t ruin the adhesive). Slip each strip above and below the SD card, making sure the sticky portion is facing the SD card. Slightly and gently turn the strips left and right 30 degrees to ensure the strips stick to the surface of the SD card. Wait a few minutes for the adhesive to completely adhere, then pull it out.

Z3pcs will be eternally grateful.