MBP extremely slow after SSD Upgrade. What's wrong with my mac?

I have a MPB 15" 2.53 mid 2009. I upgraded the standard hard drive to a SSD (512 GB Sandisk X210) purchased from ifixit.

I cloned the factory drive to the SSD using Super Duper. After cloning the HDD to the SSD I installed it and turned it on, it booted up fine but not quite as quickly as I would expect for an SSD.

Verified and reparied disk permissions.

Restert. Boot up time about 1 minute 20 seconds.

Shut down.

Reset PRAM

Boot up about 1 minute.

Restart. Boot up time about 43 minutes.

I have no idea what happened in the middle there but something is obviously not working right. Now when I click on applications they go gray then take several minutes before launching. I'm not sure what to do. Please help!

I would start by making sure your systems firmware is upto date. Follow this Apple TN on how check & update EFI & SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs.

Remember your systems SATA I/O speed is only SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) make sure your SSD can run at that speed.

See if putting back your your old HD back in if your system still reacts the same. If not, try running your SSD externally via a FireWire (best) or USB connection. If it runs better there you may need to replace the SATA cable.

How do I check if the ssd can run at these speeds?

My bet is on the cable , of course, a pet peeve of mine. MacBook Pro 15" Unibody (Mid 2009) Hard Drive Cable

To check what your SSD can do review the specs sheet that came with the SSD, or visit the vendors web site to get it. I also recommend you check both the systems & SSD firmware to make sure its up to date. Often I find that fixes things!

Most Helpful Answer

The internet had the answer for me. Apparently your startup disk setting is pointing to a disk that's no longer in your system. I'm guessing the OS can't find it and is waiting for it to spin up. It doesn't try the new SSD until a timeout occurs.

Go to system preferences and set your Startup Disk setting to be the new disk and I'll bet that changes everything. It did for me.

Good catch!!

It also works for me. I had before for the long time just the white screen before apple logo comes on.

It worked perfectly!

I had the same problem when I upgraded my original 128GB SSD with one of 256GB from Transcend. I couldn't understand why the new SSD had added 10s of grey screen on startup before the Apple logo appears.

So I follow these steps and all started working perfectly again:

1. Go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk

2. Click on the bottom left Lock tu unlock the changes

3. Select Macintosh HD (it's likely to be the only on the list)

4. Click 'Restart...'

You're done!

Solved!! - I had almost exactly the same symptoms. SSD upgrade Super fast for a month, then suddenly became slower than ever. Symptoms included unable to keep up with keystrokes (really annoying), slow application loads, slow printing.

I tried just about everything suggested on the internet; Reset PRAM, SMC, the wear levelling (TRIM). Reinstalled a clean OS (Lion, Yosemite, and El Capitan). Nothing made the slightest difference. I bought a different drive (i had a samsung EVO) I read the OWC were great...no change.

Then one day the mac failed to find my hard drive. I was pretty ticked off by now. So my research for this problem went down a different road. And I ended up buying a replacement SATA cable (this one Fixed it completely---mystery solved.

So if this post helps just one person avoid six months of torture I will be delighted.

Man, you've just saved my brain. I was suffering of the same issue during the last month. I've tried almost everything you've tried, but only cable replacement helped.

I had the same problem. Replaced 3(!!!) SATA cables. No joy at all. Ended up with installing back an old good HDD. My old MacBook Pro 13" Late 2011, works fine again.

How do you set it to the new SSD? It still only has the Mac HD listed.

Press the Option key when you start you system. You'll be greeted with the Disk Manager which will allow you to select the boot disk. Once you system is up and running go over to your System Preferences, there you'll find the Startup Disk control panel, open it and select the drive and you're done. If you can't see the disk its not prepped correctly and/or is missing the OS. You'll need to redo the drive setup and re-install the OS from the installer app.

It's also worth noting that if you clone the old hard disk onto the SSD, you'll retain the name "Macintosh HD" for the SSD. This is not sufficient to automatically boot from the SSD. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the boot loader works with physical disk IDs, and not the name, since it has to boot before the file system is loaded.) You'll need to set the boot disk to "Macintosh HD" once again to register the new disk.

Good point! @EBarnhart001 Another reason not to use cloning software as it just confuses things.

I know old habits are hard to shake, cloning is one of them! I have had more problems with cloning software than I can shake a stick at. Apples Migration Assistant or TimeMachine backup is the only real way to do it.

I don't remember if I cloned or restored the system disk image from a backup onto the SSD. Probably the latter since I used no special software. Anything that saves the hassle of reinstalling the system is a good idea IMO. The user just needs to unset and reset the startup disk setting, even if it looks correct in the control panel.

briandholley will be eternally grateful.