Why is my pc's screen black when I turn it on?

So my Hp Touchsmart300 Will not respond to anything I do. Whenever I turn on my computer the screen remains black and the vent fans sound normal when ever I start it but 5 seconds later they start spinning at an unusual speed and make a loud noise. I've tried putting the recovery disk in but nothing happens, the screen remains black and unresponsive. Any ideas with what could possibly be wrong with it?

Remove your RAM sticks and see what happens when you try to start without.

by oldturkey03

Just removed both RAM sticks and nothing changed, thank you though!

by SA21

My touch smart just started doing the same thing. It wont come up. The fan is really loud and the screen is black.

by Angela Holsonback

Most Helpful Answer

The moetherboard may be fried. Thats what the pups at geek squad told me.

Sounds like your Backlight has gone in the LCD panel....Shine a torch on the screen to see if you can faintly see an image, if you can see an image in the background then the backlight has gone and LCD panel will need replacing.....

it can be fixed in these simple steps-

1. remove ram and clean with a light cloth

2. uninstall windows and install it again

3. run a viruses test

4.change motherboard

i hope this will help you out ...thanks

Motherboard. It has overheated. Common issue on these first Gen "all-in-ones". A refurbished board runs $150.00-200.00+ on EBay. Then there is the labor charge. Pull the hard drive out and either get an enclosure for it to act as an external hard drive for another computer or install it in a empty second hard drive bay of your new computer. Transfer the data over to the other hard drive since you don't know how much longer you can trust it. RIP HP Touchsmart.

SA21 will be eternally grateful.