Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Replaced full screen, digitizer works but no picture

Hi there,

Long story short... Broke the glass on my iPhone 4 and bought a replacement on Amazon for $20. I was skeptical but stay with me.

I work in a computer repair shop so I figured I was up to the task.

Did the whole repair and everything, and I've got no picture... not even a backlight. HOWEVER, the digitizer works because I can still unlock the phone without the display working (the phone makes the little unlock sound).

I plan to open it up again tomorrow and check connections but I figured I'd ask... could I have gotten a bad screen?

I've read where others have the backlight work but not the screen, but I don't have either... but the digitizer works and if I'm not mistaken, that was the smaller of the 2 cables that had to be fed back into the device.

Please advice.

Soft reset the iphone by holding down the sleep/wake and home button until you see the apple logo. If that doesn't work, go back in and check your lcd cable connections by re-seating them and also inspect the receptacle on the logic board to ensure you didn't accidentally break a gold pin. If none of that works then it is possible you have a LCD that is DOA.

Usually, the LCD cable will pop up on re-assembly and can be easily overlooked.

If your old LCD worked, you can connect it back -- without removing the new screen, to verify that the new LCD is defective. I always simply disconnecting the old lcd cables, without removing the old LCD, and connecting up any new lcd just for quick testing. I believe iFixit and other companies sell an extended length testing cable just for this purpose.

Thank you for the detailed response. I performed a soft reset last night upon completion and I know no Apple logo appeared.

Once I get back from work today I will reopen the unit and confirm the LCD cable is in place. My last screen is pretty badly cracked, and I definitely added to the crack in its removal, but I can definitely pop it back in (as you suggested) to test.

I will follow up again this evening.

Cheers.

Just wanted to follow up and say that after taking it apart again, and reseating the LCD connector, followed by a soft reset, I was good to go!

I did accidentally not reconnect the cell antenna and found myself with no signal for about half an hour, but another 20 minutes later and I was good.

Cheers!

Ben will be eternally grateful.