Motorola Droid RAZR

The Droid Razr is an Android-based, 4G LTE-capable smartphone designed by Motorola.

Why isn't the power/lock button working?

When I plug my phone into the charger I can use it when the screen lights up, but when I unplug it and the screen goes black I can't. The power/lock button is not working.

Does it feel like the button is clicking? Was there any exposure to water?

by davidlabbott2

I had the same exact problem today! I called Technical Support and talked to a very helpful woman! She explained to me that sometimes your phone needs to "reboot" itself. To reboot the phone, I just held down the power/lock screen button, and the volume down button for about a minute. The phone then restarts and gives you the power up screen. Now my phone is back to normal, and I can unlock the phone without it needing to be plugged into the charger!

Jessie, Thank you so very much for sharing the instructions Tech support gave you! It worked perfectly on my phone!

by rj35

Worked for me too, thanks a ton!!!

by Alexa Thomas

Dude jessie thanks man.

by sharkyzer0

I've been able to reboot my phone three times using the instructions above (which would make me believe that the lock button is still working to some extent), but the lock button still doesn't work to lock/unlock the phone :( Looks like I'll be on the phone with Verizon support.

by Spencer Jacobs

Update: I rebooted my phone 3 times as stated above, then performed the dreaded "factory reset" as a last ditch resort. Unfortunately, that didn't work either so I called verizon customer service. They're sending me a replacement phone, overnight shipping, free of charge. My phone is approximately 1.5 years old, so I'm pumped that they're covering it and not making me wait until I qualify for an upgrade.

by Spencer Jacobs

Could be, but maybe a drop that you are/are not aware of? I would recommend a simple visit to your nearest repair shop. You may have a restriction set that you are also not aware of, so have a look in all of the obvious places where this could be.

Worked for me too, Thanks

That worked just fine for me. Contacted Verizon, the rep said no problems of this nature have been reported and immediately issued a replacement phone. This happened about 5 minutes into my beginning work and I do not have internet access so I said send the phone. When I got home to my laptop I googled the issue, found this page and fixed my problem in about three minutes. The phone is working much better than the customer service rep at Verizon worked tonight. Shame on you Verizon for allowing such a lazy employee to deal with your customers.

I did just what was described and my phone is working fine. The replacement "refurbished" phone will be returned to sender!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your information

Gary

I just had the same issue with my phone, my power button wasn't working. I thought I was going to have to take it to a store tomorrow to see if they could fix it. I got on the computer and googled the issue and found this solution. Thank you so much my phone is now working great, power button and all. I would hate to have gone in the store and looked like an idiot just to do this. LOL Thank you so much for your help.

Jeremy

I tried to reboot as well and it didn't work I did drop it in the toilet this morning for about a second bit its on everything works except the power button any other suggestions? Thanks

Thad

my phone wont let me unlock it and the power button and volume button arent working, any ideas how I can restart it?

JESSIE!!! Thank you!! I thought I was going to have to buy a new phone! Even the international Motorola customer service gang didn't know what to do! So Yay to Google for providing me the link to your answer!

That just worked like magic for me. Guys you made my day.

Bradley will be eternally grateful.