Kindle Fire HD

Updated version of the Kindle Fire 7" tablet by Amazon with 1280x800 HD display. Released September 2012. Repairing this device is straightforward.

My kindle won't turn on. Is it the battery?

I walked in one day and my kindle fire hd refused to turn on. I've made a visual inspection of the motherboard and battery nothing seems out of sorts. Is there a way to tell if the battery itself is the problem or if there is something else i can try. I am not terribly concerned about the fire itself, there is a good amount of data on the harddrive that i need to get off. I'd love to get the fire working again but the data is more important. Is there anyway that i can get the data out? or tell if the battery is working so that I don't waste my money trying to fix it.

Help me now I need help

by Jamesreed

Bang it on the ground, then hold the button down thirty seconds. Press the button

once again.

by doodleunicorn

Most Helpful Answer

PART 3: ANOTHER REASON FOR KINDLE FIRE LOCK-UPS

Probably the number one reason Kindle Fire (KF) devices lock-up is because the battery discharges. When using a wifi connection you should connect the KF to a power supply outlet or USB port on a PC computer, or use the KF only for a short period of time when away from a power source. When the battery runs down it will usually cause a lock-up. Simply connect the KF to a power supply source and recharge the device. It is best to turn off the device and let it charge. If it is locked up, you will need to hold the on-off button for 15-25 seconds to turn it off. A red light at the on-off button shows the battery is discharged. A green light means the battery is fully charged. It is a good idea to charge the battery for at least four hours before using it again without a connection to a power supply source. Always check to see that you are disconnected from the wifi when operating off the battery supply except for short periods of time, otherwise when the battery runs low the KF will more than likely lock-up.

END OF PART 3

I keep holding it down for 30 seconds and i wont turn on

by Tanesha Farrington

PART 1: PROBLEMS WITH LOCK-UPS WITH KINDLE FIRE DEVICES

If the green light is on or the battery icon shows it as being charged, it is unlikely the battery. If it turns on, but locks up it should still show the clock running. I had a similar problem with my Kindle Fire. It was constantly locking up on me. It would work fine for awhile, and then it would lock up and I would not use it for a period of time. It was really frustrating because it is like carrying my library of books and apps with me for ready use whenever I needed them. I searched the Internet and discovered that a lot of people have reported the same problem with their Kindle Fire devices locking up on them, even the newer models. I have KF First Generation (KF1G). It is a marvelous toy when it works, but when it locks up it really gets frustrating. I'm sure Amazon and other websites have appropriate anti-virus programs checking the various books and apps that are filtered through their servers, but I have come to the conclusion that some of the freebies with ads or trial programs may be the culprit because every time I download one of those programs, especially games my KF locks up on me at some point. It is possible that some of those freebies have malware, viruses, Trojans, or other similar programs that could be the cause of some of these lockups.

END OF PART 1.

PART 2: HOW TO FIX LOCK-UPS ON KINDLE FIRE DEVICES

I have tried various means to unlock my KF1G, by holding the on-off switch for 15-25 seconds until the device turns off. I wait for a few minutes and turn it back on again. Most of the time it begins to boot up, but locks up again when the arrow appears. I simply leave it turned on, connect it to the power cord to recharge, and hope if I leave it long enough it will eventually boot up. So far that has worked for me; however, someone else suggested that once your KF boots up and you are eventually able to access your files, open your SETTINGS, click MORE, then click DEVICE, then click RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS. This will wipe out all the things you have stored on your KF, but those items are still available in the Cloud files at Amazon.Com, and you can reload them after you reboot the KF. Although games are fun to play, I would advise staying away from freebies with ads or trial games. Like I said, I cannot prove these are the culprits for locking up your KF, but I have not had any further problems with my KF1G since I reset to factory defaults and reload with only those programs I feel comfortable using. Although KF acts like a computer, I am not aware whether you can install any anti-virus programs to protect your files or not. I don't think you can, so have to rely on Amazon to do that job for you. I hope this is a help to those of you who are frustrated with lock-ups.

END OF PART 2.

You're a lifesaver. This works perfectly on my Fire 7 2015 model. I had a custom rom installed and thought I'd lost $50.

by Johnathon Rivas

I had a problem similar to yours but all I had to do was hold the power button down for about 15 seconds then let and start pressing it repeatedly and my kindle came back on

ive been trying this method and its not working for me :/

by sampitcher99

jonathan jones, the Kindle does not have a hard drive. It stores information on memory IC's. the only way to get any information off it would be with an expensive NAND memory reader and the right software. Most likely not an easy DIY'er job. I would start with the battery. You can use a multimeter and see what power you have on it and if it charges by checking on the battery contacts with a multimeter while plugging it in.

Where can we get it repair? Does Amazon have repair center?

by Krystal P

try to hold the power button for 30

I tried the on button for fifteen seconds but it still wont come on.It has a light screen not black

by beverly bloodworth

On wait it is coming on and is now working

by beverly bloodworth

I Was Using A App and My Kindle Froze. It Then Cut Off and Refuses To Cut Back On.I Let It Charge Over Night and Tried To Cut It Back On The Next Day, Still Nothing. So I Took The Back Off And Put It Back On. Still Nothing Could You Help Me.?

Break it then build it back

If you don't know how to build it, why would you do it? If you also did that you would lose all your data.

by doodleunicorn

It won't turn back on I just was playing a game and it shut off

jonathan jones will be eternally grateful.