This is a Dyson DC 14 vacuum cleaner.

Why isn't my beater bar spinning?

The beater bar isn't spinning, the belt seems fine, the suction is good. The filters have been cleaned. I've had the vacuum for about 5 years and never had an issue until now. It also doesn't want to stand upright--but this could be an unrelated issue.

" It also doesn't want to stand upright "In my case the DC14 works fine but will not stand up on its own,.which makes it difficult when using the hose attachment. Please advise

Hi @junie

What model is your vacuum cleaner? Did you buy it using a credit card? If so can you find the purchase on the credit card statement?

Hi @junie

If you are using the motorhead attachment, have you pulled the bristle control to the out position (in other words not pushed in? It only comes out about a 1/4". Seen in the image, in between the bristle holder and the wheels.

My vacuum is a DC 23

A dyson DC 23

Most Helpful Answer

Your beater bar is not moving because the gear that it's belt sits on is full of hair, threads etc.

Unplug the vacuum.

Remove the beater bar cover using a large coin.

Remove the beater bar. This will take some patience and time.

Remove the belt.

The gear should have hair strands etc. wound around it.

Remove the hair etc.

Replace the belt.

Replace the beater bar.

Replace the beater bar cover.

Plug in the vacuum.

Thouroughly clean your carpet as it hasn't been cleaned well the last few times do to the vacuum not working properly.

Patrick

The DC14 has a clutch that engages or dis-engages the beater bar depending on floor type. You may need to replace the clutch. There are Utube videos that show how to do this. You can order the replacement parts online. Also videos on changing belts, etc.

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I've been trying to find a fix for a while and this was exactly my issue. The hair and debris had worked itself so far into the axel it was completely unobservable until taking off the cog that moves the brush. And because there was so much of it getting that piece off was actually quite difficult. At any rate, after removing the dense bunch of debris it is working perfectly now.

I changed the clutch in my DC14 and the beater brush still doesn't turn, any suggestions?

I've never had any first hand experience with the Dyson DC14, but this DysonMedic post and this other post might help steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

The belt is still tight but will not turn when on.

I took the beater bar partway out and pulled away threads. The belt seemed fine also. I put all parts back on and voila! It was working. My guess is I may have been a little rough when vacuuming and jarred the bar out of place.

DC25

My wife got some table cloth jammed in the brush bar.

When pulled out suction ok but no brush bar rotation.

No hair or thread on bar to impede rotation

Followed these intructions see URL below, to remove brush bar.

Brush bar drive shaft seemed a little stiff and after a few rotations by hand seemed better.

Replaced brush bar and immediately worked.

Not sure what the diagnosis was ? drive shaft jammed ? some kind of protective jam.

Worth trying this simple routine before trying more complicated dismantle !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yc7h4Wg...

The switch to operate/engage or disengage the brush, wont push, obviously the spring has sprung. the power still switches. How do i reassemble the brush switch?

The first thing is to remove anything that's wrapped around the beater bar. You probably did this already.

Next take off the cover and look at the end caps on the beater bar. On my DC14, the end farthest from the belt tends to gather lint under the end cap. Use a tiny screwdriver or the pointy end of a nail file to dig out the lint. You may be surprised how much accumulates in that small space. Rotate the bar while doing this. The gap is larger at one spot in rotation, and it will be easier to dig out the lint at this spot.

Once all the lint is out, check that the beater bar rotates freely. Put the cover back on and you're set.

This would make a lot more sense with pictures. I hope you're able to figure out what I mean.

There's a YouTube video that shows this in detail. Look for "dyson dc14 brush stuck".

Kirstie will be eternally grateful.