Replaced digitizer, touch still not working

Alright so I'm relatively experienced at fixing iDevices, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. I got a 2nd Gen iPod Touch from someone a couple years back for cheap because the digitizer was broken, so I replaced it and it worked fine. So I gave it to my brother, and he broke the screen, and for this past Christmas his gift was a screen replacement. It worked great for about a week, and then the touch wouldn't work. So I was thinking the cable came loose, and I took it apart, and as best I could tell it was just fine. After tinkering with it I noticed that the cable was torn - I think I must have torn it without noticing. So I just bought a new one off of eBay, and that digitizer won't work on this iPod either. So if it isn't the digitizer, and on a quick inspection the connector on the logic board looks fine, what could it be? Any guesses or suggestions?

As of this point I haven't made any progress. Any ideas?

If the touch does not work despite a new digitizer and the connector is okay, no bend broken or corroded pins, the only other thing should be the touch IC I believe that the iPod 2 uses the same as the iPhone. No a who;e lot of schematics or diagrams out for the iPod....

fryarludwig will be eternally grateful.