4

Scott Torino
61

Nexus 7 will not power on.

Nexus 7 will not power on. Held the power button. Tried pressing the power button in rapid succession. No luck. I think it is charged. Anyone Jedi who can save me?

thanks .. I was freaking out. had tried it but no luck .. tried again this morning and now its working.. thanks a million..

ferlee27,

My Nexus 7 will not charge. It will power up, but shows the charge to be 0%. I have tried multiple chargers, multiple outlets, all with no avail. I am concerned that something is wrong with the pins in the charger location.

Linda Bryan,

8

fryarludwig
717

Definitely try it with the cable as well, you can rarely assume the battery has a charge.

Found at "howtogeek.com"

"Tablet Won’t Power On or Charge

If your Nexus 7 appears completely frozen and won’t power on or even charge, the most obvious solution is to pull the battery and reinsert it. However, the Nexus 7 doesn’t have a user-serviceable battery.

Instead of pulling the battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds straight. You may have tried holding down the power button already – but you won’t see any results until you hold it down for the entire 30 seconds. This process fixed a Nexus 7 that refused to turn on or charge."

I just wanted to say thank you to fryardludwig...it worked!

sybilsacco,

Just thought I would thank you all as I managed to get my Nexus 7 to but up again by finding the original charger and then holding the power button down for 30 seconds.

Nexus Kevin,

hey! I'v been charging and holding the power button, but nothing until I read this. It started after holding the power button down about 20 full seconds. Wow. BUT it also showed a message that popped up so fast I missed it... something about "no track" or something?

William Shirley,

Another thank you. Holding down for 30 seconds worked wonders!!!

Graham,

Life saver!!

Chasity,

2

jardineromi
25

My Nexus 7 wouldn't boot , no matter what combination buttons I pushed.. (it was fully charged when this happened.) After letting it set for 2 weeks out of frustration, I opened it with one of your handy dandy plastic spudges , unplugged the battery for about 2 minutes, reattached the battery and closed the device back up.

I then pushed the power button as normal, and it BOOTED UP... been using it since.

Opening the device up is very easy and this is definately worth a try...

My theory, is that the Nexus never would really turn off, so unplugging allowed the OS to reset.... maybe ? anyway, it worked...

I didn't use my nexus 7 (2013) for months. Despite having it on the OEM charger for days it wouldn't turn on. I did the battery disconnection as described above, left it disconnected for a few minutes and then reconnected. It booted up straight away with 100% charge. Thanks for the tip jardineromi

Driverman,

I have tried everything and my Nexus 7 tablet still won't charge or turn on. Can someone HELP...???????

AlliNic,

Take it apart as mentioned in this guide, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery should resolve the issue.

Jiri Sir,

All of the suggestions with holding the button 30 seconds, open the case to disconnect/reconnect the battery, charge for an hour and repeat... none of it is working on my device. My device froze while using YouTube. I had to hard shutdown the device, it hasn't turned on since. I am using the original chord, my computer also recognizes a device is plugged in if I use the USB attachment, but I get a message that Windows does not recognize device.... what could be happening? Is there any hope? Or is it toast?

EBET,

How do you get to the battery. I have tried the 30 second thing, but it still won't turn on so i would like to try taking the battery out, but i cant get the back off.

Rebecca,

1

Scott Torino
61

Ok. After much procrastination, I returned to get the Nexus 7 charger that came with the unit. My brother had told me he was using a phone charger. My initial assumption was that using the phone charger would not have been an issue. Micro USB is Micro USB to me. Anyway I charged the unit for 30 minutes with the unit's charger and held the button for 30 seconds. The Nexus booted up and I have since returned it to its home.

Thank you a million times over Scott Torino!! You are indeed a life saver.

Hayley,

Yep. this fixed mine as well, would have thought that any old charger would have worked. but no! needed the original that came with the unit. Now was it the charger, or was it the cable.. No idea. My charger had a fixed cable, so I will probably never know.

David Haughton,

I got my nexus fixed taking off the battery as you said. Thanks a lot!

cristianmail,

1

Moyer123
55

I had the same problem, I just added this video to youtube teaching you how to re-connect your battery

(this is a very common issue with the nexus 7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Hp3Gl-i...

This was the winning solution for me. Thank you!

JayStar,

0

James
131

Try pressing the power button AND both the volume buttons at the same time. Normally when this combination is pressed, a bootrom menu should appear. If held long enough, it should reset the tablet and eventually it should boot, just keep holding the buttons.

0

Jack
1

I have an original model nexus 7 tablet. Worked fine for the first few years then started not coming up after either sleeping it or just leaving it alone. Tried all the button tricks to no avail. Read about the slap the back trick and that worked until it bothered my hand slapping this thing. I finally took the back cover off and noticed there are several tiny connectors that touch the back cover when closed. I used the wife's nail file to clean the connections put it back together and it has worked for the last couple of weeks as new. Not sure if that did it but thought I would throw it out there in case it fixes yours.

Stone

Nice. Worked for me too after I dropped it!

Jeremy Summers,

0

Jiri Sir
1

Thank you all for great answers. I had the same issue. Nexus 7 2nd generation almost brand new and fully charged was not turning on. I tried to charge it for an hour then for 10 hours and hold the power button for couple minutes. Nothing helped.

I have followed the steps at

Nexus 7 2nd Generation Teardown

and opened the back cover. Disconnected battery for few minutes and once I put it back together, the tablet booted up with no issues.

Once again, the interweb has saved the day.

Yup, that's what I had to do as well. Took me a long time to work out how to pull out battery connector - it pulls up, not to the side!

Paul Beardsell,

0

Rich
1

Did EVERYTHING before opening the unit. NOTHING worked so figured nothing to loose. DISCONNECTED BATTERY FOR 2 MINUTES. Re-attached and PRESTO... Back to normal.

0

Sandy
1

My 1st gen Nexus 7 wouldn't turn on after a few months of non-use even after attempting to charge. Instead of using the wall mount, I tried with just the USB cable and connecting through my laptop. That worked!

Thanks for the tip on plugging it directly in to my laptop....it didn't do anything at first and then after a minute or so it showed the battery charging!! I tried everything else that I could find on the internet and this is the only thing that worked! I was seconds away from trying to externally charge the battery which in my case would have been a bad idea....thanks again

Leigh,

I should add that before plugging it into my laptop I did open the case and unplugged my battery cable for a minute or so too before plugging it back in. I had to watch a tutorial on You Tube for that. I then tried plugging in to wall with adapter but no luck.... so I plugged it into my laptop and it worked.

Leigh,

0

Kaleb
1

Wow! I thought that my Nexus was bricked. All I did was remove the battery for about a minute then connected it back to its original spot and it worked like a charm. Thank You!

0

no name
1

alia mirza you dont have to have a receipt if you are within the year of when it was sent to the store and asus can tell from the serial number

0

Ferdinand san jose
1

Thank you very, very much. This really works!!! I was already convincing myself that I need to buy a new one until I read this. :)

0

madamjan
1

I have two Nexus 7.

One of them (as my kinds were using-falling a lot) started not to charge the battery all the time and the connector seems loose when plugged. I sent to service and the guys there told me that the mother board is damaged and need replacement. I cross connect the bateries and the broken Nexus turn on, but doesnt charge, but not vice versa. THe other one is chargiing the battery from broken one.

Could be the connector only the problem. Can I order it from somewhere?

I forgot to mention that are 2012 model

madamjan,

0

Satchie Oua
1

I finally fixed my nexus 7. I brought it to the technician and when he opens it he found out that the pins of the charging port are somehow disconnected so he simply put it back again. Now I don't have a charging problem anymore!

0

madamjan
1

I found that the dock connector is the problem. I ordered one from aliexpress and wait for fixing the problem. Thanx for your usefull videos. You need only one more thing, how to find out what part of the tablet is mailfunctioning

0

igravious
1

Hold down for 20 seconds worked for me!!! I was starting to panic!!! Thanks!!!

!!!

0

Jimmy Park
1

I was wondering my nexus 7 is not working I fully charge it and hold the button for 10 to 30 seconds still nothing. Could it be that I have a flip cover that turns it off and on I kept on doing that close and open messing with it could that be the problem if I burnt out the display? Thank you

0

mae
1

thank you for this.. I had the same problem, dropped my nexus, wouldn't turn on or charge and now it is working fine again.

0

Arnold Padernal
1

specs: 2GB memory 32 GB ::::: yesterday i have problem on turning on my unit . but i figure it out , on how it does not need tobe open the units its just need to super imposed start up using this commands : long press Power and + volume for 15-20 seconds and it well boot up on Google but after few seconds it well shut off , down worry its not dead its charging if you plug your original charge in the wall you can confirm this it charging when you press power botton once , it well display charging icon . next step is to charge my phone for 3 hours doing so i have charge 85% battery and i open my ASUS N7 and sign in on Google account and install directly a Battery saver Application . now when i'm at 45% i charge it again now my Battery saver declares 1 hour charging for 100% full . as i can observed its fast charging its super normal like just same other of my tablets or phone. i well make an update when i finish my observation with in a week . i well post the final how to do if you just received a new ASUS Google N7 2012/2013 version 1st and second generation. my rate of charging now is 2 hours. 100% full

Edited by: Arnold Padernal ( )

0

Monica
1

Hi,I just bought a nexus 7.And it was working for 1 day..Before sleep it was charging at 39%.And thought to charge it over night.Then the next day when i try to open it using power button,it was not opening.I was shocked.I tried to press the power button and it got stuck in google logo.And then i press power button and then the google logo went off.

Now,its been 2 days and it has not turned on.I tried to plug in compter via USB.But it was showing qhsusb dload was not found.Please let me know if my nexus is bricked.I am quite tense as I bought it from outside and its out of warranty.

Please please help me out.

try to do this plug in the charger in the wall and Hold power and volume + for 15 to 20 seconds together. it well reboot. then when don't be shock it well shut off again but its now say's that low but its now charging then wait for maybe 3-4 hrs to be completely full battery before opening it thru power button. then when you can manage to log on to Google play install DU Battery saver this well remove the problem in charging when DU already installed , when time of charging dont always charge it always wait for 20% low battery declared by DU . this well take 2 hour PLus charging. at playing time of 6-8 hours. if this help . please share good luck i have resolve this issue for just 1 day when i received it my i try all games that are 3 D nice and battery life is good. ALL try DU battery saver that well correct the Andriod wrong programming on battery charging and managing its life.

Arnold Padernal,

check my facebook i posted all application i installed . : )

Arnold Padernal,

0

lovelyboy210
1

my friends asus nexus has been dropped from 20-40 cms height its not getting power up..

I disconnected battery and reconnected it. where I know these all tricks at the time of android eclair itself.

but that didn't worked. what may be the problem.

check the battery cable or connectors maybe its loosen up. try to reset it or remove the connection and fix it again. try powering hold power and Volume - for 15 to 30 sec

Arnold Padernal,

I know first I restarted by holding all buttons finally disconnected battery & reconnected it.. it didn't worked.. will it be any other reason? should I check any type of cable like digitizer or display?

lovelyboy210,

once we unplug the cable of battery with in one or 2 seconds the power in complete circuit will be sucked.. finally zero charge in any capacitor etc., so immediately after connecting it back it should power up but it doesn't happened.. I think its problem internally.. any suggestions rather than all these tricks? I didn't thought it is this much sensitive.. I'm a great fan of motorola.. it will be build like shock will be observed it to the battery or like rubber housing

lovelyboy210,

0

cwatki123
1

Hi there,

I opened my Nexus 7 for the first time brand new and it wouldn't turn on even after charging overnight. Initially the screen was flickering but that's now stopped.

I've tried the 10 second power hold, 30 second hold, 3 button hold, battery out and back in after 2 mins. I get no response out of it at all.

Even though it is still in warranty, Asus won't fix it because I got it as a free gift when I bought a phone and they are required to see a receipt with VAT. I keep explaining to them that you don't pay VAT on free gifts but they insist I contact the retailer, which I have done...who say you don't pay VAT on free gifts!!!

Anything else worth trying?

there is only one option to try.. unplug the battery and plug in back.. if it doesn't works.. then repair it by paying them

lovelyboy210,

0

thorstendehner
1

hi Google Nexus 7 users. After trying all the options of pushing the buttons I opened the back of my Nexus with my nails, very easy, then I disconnected the tiny battery plug from its socket and pusheh it back in with my nail and voila !!!.it powered back on....

0

s h
1

what does the original charger look like can u send me a picture?

www.amazon.in/Asus-90-XB3SOKPW00060Y-Nexus-Official-Power-Adapter/dp/B008TYKEWS this is the original pictures don't purchase it.. its better to purchase motorola 2amp chargers which are latest

lovelyboy210,

0

belle
1

thank you thank you thank you a million times over

0

jimgf
1

Have had problems with Gen 1 N7 failing mid surf as well as not turning on. Tried all the usual fixes non of which worked. Then tried disconnecting battery and reconnecting (see examples how to do this on line). A variant on switching of and on again. I leave it for a while, go and do something else then reconnect. Always seems to work.

0

Richard
1

If all the other methods do not work it could be the obvious and often is. The batteries on these units are known to be faulty and not just because of use but they have a PCB inside them like most batteries do these days. Something in that part is what I suspect stops the battery from accepting a charge. Usually if all else fails a replacement battery will do the trick. You can find them here for a decent price. I got a few myself using "best offer" and they accepted at a very reasonable price. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-ASUS-Nexu...

And in case you have a 3G/4G mobile version (ME370TG) you will need a different battery here is the link to those: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Original...

Good luck

P.S. Don't assume always that because you don't see anything it isn't powered on. It could be but nothing on the display which could mean the LCD flex cable is loose or needs to be replaced. IF it needs to be replaced you should be able to find them from the same seller on eBay. FoxPCParts They have a good selection of Nexus and other tablet part replacements. Maybe not the cheapest I've seen but fast shipping and everything I've purchased has included cameras etc and was packaged well and even the bootloader was unlocked which was a bonus to me.

0

theheretik
1

Opened mine up to try disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, and the connection is soldered on there. --cries--

0

New Girl
1

None of the button pushing or battery checking worked for me. But this man's video on how to jump-start the Nexus battery helped immensely. We're up and running again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pjLIVI...

0

Richard
1

It is most likely the PCB in the battery. It might work but you won't know when it will die. I have seen the same thing before. This seller has good ones and this listing is for 4325mAh version which is 55mAh more capacity than the 4270mAh battery but most important is it fits better which means it won't be able to come loose as easily. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-ASUS-Nexu...