0

Sumera Ahmed
1

Why the iPhone 4 not turning on unless it is plugged in?

I recently replaced my cracked screen. I havent had any problems with my phone at all. It charged, i called, send/receive text messages, but I went to a party and didnt bring my charger and it was dying. When i looked at my phone it was dead. I plugged it in and nothing happened. The apple logo would just show up. After a while it would turn on but the date would say its December 31 and it was constantly searching with 100% battery life. I unplugged it and it turned off. So i tried again and did a hard reset still did the same thing. I plugged it into my computer and it would turn on to just the logo and turn off and keep looping every few seconds. I keep reading on the internet people having this same exact problem but no one has answered them.

Also, while my phone is plugged into the wall charger and my phone is on it will only last maybe two minutes. Then this grey film appears and then turns off and then because its still on the charger it turns back ok.

Edited by: mayer ( ) , Sam Lionheart ( )

Hi sumera, what was the final conculsion for your phone, I am suffering exactly the same problem new screen , everything fine then all of a sudden a week later it only comes on while charger plugged in, forever searching too. please get bk to me

mel,

Mel, you need to take the back off of your phone and push down with good pressure on the battery connector,trust me I work at a busy shop and see this all the time with DIY,you might also remove the retaining screw for the connector before pushing on it and reinstall the screw making sure its good and tight, good luck.

Mitch Rush,

my phone was in perfect condition and got like 3 drops of water on the screen and its starting to do that to me today

kyle,

Hey there, having this same problem ... I Assumed it was the battery because the phone would not hold any charge whatsoever, so I got a new battery and put it in ... tried opening it 2 times and pressing down on the connector thinking it might not be together properly, still will only turn on when plugged in ad reads '100%' could it be something else that is not allowing power to reach the battery? - Cole

Cole,

Same problem! have put in a new battery, it's made no difference and tried pressing down on the connector too, please someone help!

Chrissie,

2

3

Sumera Ahmed, the first thing I would suggest is to replace the battery. Also, check the dock connector, make sure that there are not broken or bend pins

1

Richard Tj
42

Two main issues may have happened to your [URL=http://www.forevermac.com/category/apple... |iPhone]:

1) A Dead battery, which means that it simply won't even hold the date/ time. There's always a small amount of charge left in the battery that ensures it maintains the date/ time. I suspect this is fed by battery and not the actual charger- hence it won't power on properly from the mains. Replace the battery.

2) The Power Management unit is corrupted/ your OS is corrupted. Far more unlikely.

I would replace the battery to see if that fixes it.

1

shauna
13

i had this problem, I went out into town on the weekend, I ende dup quatting for a wee and it had dropped from my lap which was only 309cm off the floor.

It wouldn't turn on, yet I knew I had around 50% so I called it a night and got picked up. Thinking I was a little bit too drunk I thought id put it on charge in case it was actually dead..

It turned on once I put it on charge! I could not tell you how happy I was with it! but then I realised my phone was saying 100% then I knew there was something wrong, I took it off charge and it turned off this did my head in!

I pressed really hard on my battery so it could fit back in place and surprisingly this had worked my phone was freely working off charge! I was very happy! until today. it fell off my lap and down the side of my seat in my car, (which isn't far down) and now It wont work unless charging, iv tried pressing down on my battery and it works for about 5 minutes and then switches off again! :l APPLE NEED TO SORT THIS OUT! but yeah if anyone else having the same problem just try and put pressure on the battery and push it down as hard as you can so it fits back in place. Hope this helps:)

Wow thank you soo much!! It really helped(:

Erick Avalos,

0

Lola
1

Yes, I am having the same problem with my iPhone 4. Last year, around maybe April, I fell & my phone cracked on the front screen, so I just decided to get it fixed less than two months ago. It worked securely perfectly fine, I just hated to see my screen cracked. So when I got it back, my screen kept cutting off. I mean, I didn't have too much of a problem, I just thought it was kinda normal when you get it back. But a week later, I got sick of it:/ I took it up to Verizon several times & they kept telling me what to do, I did it, & nothing has worked. I reset my phone by hitting "Erase all content and settings" about 3 or 4 different times, reset my settings 10 times maybe if not more, but still nothing! My phone cuts off my wifi at certain times (Won't let me turn it on or let me see the range of options to get wifi), cannot access my phone unless it is hooked up to a wall charger (It won't even turn on if the usb cord is hooked up to a laptop/computer), will not send messages all the time, cannot get on apps (any kind) sometimes, & makes this screeching noise when I play music, call someone, listen to a video/watch a video, or even just turn on my iPhone. My step dad called Verizon & said I can get a new one for $99 but the thing is, I want to keep the one I have. Any suggestions?

Edited by: Lola ( )

lola first i would try a battery c if that stops the restarting issue then see what other problems the phone has

con,

Yeah I got it fixed

Lola,

Lola how u got it fixed?

Angie,

Lola the same thing is happening to me but i didn't get a new screen it just has to be plugged in to work. When verizon said they would give you a new phone for 99 dollars did you have a warrantee on that phone. I no longer have a warrantee on my phone will they still give it to me for 99 dollars

alexa,

I squeezed my phone in the lower left hand corner and the charge popped up 16% and verizon popped up where it was saying searching its worth a try but i applied mad man pressure

Triggaz DaDon,

0

con

Alexa buy a $5 battery problem solved

0

Steve
13

By squeezing the lower left corner you are excerting pressure on the battery connector which probably has a dry joint. Take the back off and put some card over it, when you slide the back cover back on it , it will put pressure on the connector and hold the joint closed.

Steve...

Also don't press too hard on the battery connector or you WILL crack your screen all the way across up and down... I did that...

Bob,

0

Steve
13

You don't have many options left. This is what I would do:

Replace charge connector and if still not fixed replace the phone. This model is obselete and not worth spending money on.

Steve...

0

megan
1

wait do you lose all your phone memory when you replace the battery?

no, memory is not affected by a battery replacement

jessabethany,

0

amanda
1

I don't have a answer but it does this to me litterst everyday. I will plug it In and it will say "December 31 7:01" and when you slide the thing up (that has all if your stuff like music, Bluetooth, portrait orientation, do not disturb, wifi and air plane mode and brightness and sound) it is dark grey on the wifi and it says "wifi is unavailable". I have no idea why it is doing this. My battery isn't dying either so I don't need a new phone so I don't know what it is

0

Steve
13

The WiFi is grayed out because there is a fault with the WiFi chip (maybe a dry joint?) and to be honest it will never work again unless it is professionally repaired and the cost would be uneconomical if you could ever find someone to look at it. I would suggest it is time to leave that model behind and upgrade to a newer model at a reduced cost and probably more beneficial to you. This issue was more associated with the 4S and I haven't seen this with a 4 yet?

Regards,

Steve...

Edited by: Steve ( )

0

Ever Olivar
1

i have tried it, (put pressure on the bottom corner of my phone) but phone still cant be on without any charger on it. :(

0

kyuuketsuh
ime

1

I have the same problem too, but I think another factor that causes it is the memory. Mine's almost full which I think causes also the lagging that prevents the display to turn on. Try deleting some apps to free up your memory storage.

0

rbeahm
1

When you remove the battery, there is a good chance of breaking or cracking the six solder joints under the piece the battery plugs onto...depending if some or all get broke, you will have different power issues...be %#*@ careful when unplugging the battery!!!! Wish that was in the instruction I read..trying to put one back on now

0

Brandon Pearson
1

You might also want to take a look at this before you try messing with your hardware.

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-...

0

mattespsal
mon

1

I recently replaced the screen on my iphone 4 verizon phone, it would only turn on if charged though a wall port, kept searching for service and read 100% battery. when unplugged it would immediately turn off and could not be charged by my mac, also the screen would freeze every minute or so and automatically restart... I took the back off of the phone, took out the screw for the battery connector and pushed REALLY hard on the connector piece, like white thumbed myself and now..... Presto! service restored and it holds a charge. Thank you for this answer!