iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 16 or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Why the iPhone 4 not turning on unless it is plugged in?

I recently replaced my cracked screen. I havent had any problems with my phone at all. It charged, i called, send/receive text messages, but I went to a party and didnt bring my charger and it was dying. When i looked at my phone it was dead. I plugged it in and nothing happened. The apple logo would just show up. After a while it would turn on but the date would say its December 31 and it was constantly searching with 100% battery life. I unplugged it and it turned off. So i tried again and did a hard reset still did the same thing. I plugged it into my computer and it would turn on to just the logo and turn off and keep looping every few seconds. I keep reading on the internet people having this same exact problem but no one has answered them.

Also, while my phone is plugged into the wall charger and my phone is on it will only last maybe two minutes. Then this grey film appears and then turns off and then because its still on the charger it turns back ok.

Hi sumera, what was the final conculsion for your phone, I am suffering exactly the same problem new screen , everything fine then all of a sudden a week later it only comes on while charger plugged in, forever searching too. please get bk to me

by mel

Mel, you need to take the back off of your phone and push down with good pressure on the battery connector,trust me I work at a busy shop and see this all the time with DIY,you might also remove the retaining screw for the connector before pushing on it and reinstall the screw making sure its good and tight, good luck.

by Mitch Rush

my phone was in perfect condition and got like 3 drops of water on the screen and its starting to do that to me today

by kyle

Hey there, having this same problem ... I Assumed it was the battery because the phone would not hold any charge whatsoever, so I got a new battery and put it in ... tried opening it 2 times and pressing down on the connector thinking it might not be together properly, still will only turn on when plugged in ad reads '100%' could it be something else that is not allowing power to reach the battery? - Cole

by Cole

Same problem! have put in a new battery, it's made no difference and tried pressing down on the connector too, please someone help!

by Chrissie

Sumera Ahmed, the first thing I would suggest is to replace the battery. Also, check the dock connector, make sure that there are not broken or bend pins

Two main issues may have happened to your [URL=http://www.forevermac.com/category/apple... |iPhone]:

1) A Dead battery, which means that it simply won't even hold the date/ time. There's always a small amount of charge left in the battery that ensures it maintains the date/ time. I suspect this is fed by battery and not the actual charger- hence it won't power on properly from the mains. Replace the battery.

2) The Power Management unit is corrupted/ your OS is corrupted. Far more unlikely.

I would replace the battery to see if that fixes it.

i had this problem, I went out into town on the weekend, I ende dup quatting for a wee and it had dropped from my lap which was only 309cm off the floor.

It wouldn't turn on, yet I knew I had around 50% so I called it a night and got picked up. Thinking I was a little bit too drunk I thought id put it on charge in case it was actually dead..

It turned on once I put it on charge! I could not tell you how happy I was with it! but then I realised my phone was saying 100% then I knew there was something wrong, I took it off charge and it turned off this did my head in!

I pressed really hard on my battery so it could fit back in place and surprisingly this had worked my phone was freely working off charge! I was very happy! until today. it fell off my lap and down the side of my seat in my car, (which isn't far down) and now It wont work unless charging, iv tried pressing down on my battery and it works for about 5 minutes and then switches off again! :l APPLE NEED TO SORT THIS OUT! but yeah if anyone else having the same problem just try and put pressure on the battery and push it down as hard as you can so it fits back in place. Hope this helps:)

Wow thank you soo much!! It really helped(:

by Erick Avalos

Alexa buy a $5 battery problem solved

By squeezing the lower left corner you are excerting pressure on the battery connector which probably has a dry joint. Take the back off and put some card over it, when you slide the back cover back on it , it will put pressure on the connector and hold the joint closed.

Steve...

Also don't press too hard on the battery connector or you WILL crack your screen all the way across up and down... I did that...

by Bob

You don't have many options left. This is what I would do: Replace charge connector and if still not fixed replace the phone. This model is obselete and not worth spending money on. Steve...

by Steve

I have the same problem too, but I think another factor that causes it is the memory. Mine's almost full which I think causes also the lagging that prevents the display to turn on. Try deleting some apps to free up your memory storage.

When you remove the battery, there is a good chance of breaking or cracking the six solder joints under the piece the battery plugs onto...depending if some or all get broke, you will have different power issues...be %#*@ careful when unplugging the battery!!!! Wish that was in the instruction I read..trying to put one back on now

You might also want to take a look at this before you try messing with your hardware.

https://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-...

I recently replaced the screen on my iphone 4 verizon phone, it would only turn on if charged though a wall port, kept searching for service and read 100% battery. when unplugged it would immediately turn off and could not be charged by my mac, also the screen would freeze every minute or so and automatically restart... I took the back off of the phone, took out the screw for the battery connector and pushed REALLY hard on the connector piece, like white thumbed myself and now..... Presto! service restored and it holds a charge. Thank you for this answer!

i squeezed the bottom backside of my iphone 4 the it turned on but my screen still flashes once in a while.

My daughter dropped it in the toilet, so I took it apart to let it dry out. When I put it back together, it would only work plugged in. I knew the battery was good before she dropped it, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

I tried the idea I read here about pushing on the connector, and I felt it move into place better. Problem solved. Thanks, guys!

Sumera Ahmed will be eternally grateful.