iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

How to retrieve pictures from iPhone that won't turn on

I have an iPhone 4 that is very much broken. I finally got my computer to recognize it, but it is locked with a passcode. The screen will not come on at all for me to enter the code so I can not find a way to get the pictures off of it. I'm sure if I replaced the glass/LCD I could get it to work, but I've already bought an iPhone 5 so I really hate to have to do that. Is there anyway to get these pictures off without putting more money into the phone, or to enter the passcode from the computer?

There are few softwares that will allow you to do that. I know few for Mac: iSkysoft iPhone Data Recovery, Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS, and Fireebook Data Recovery for iPhone. http://bit.ly/1B6XJDA The free versions of the apps will allow you to scan your device, and then if you find the files u were looking for you can purchase the full version to recover. Can't say any more, as the file I wanted to recover was not worthy purchasing the full version, so I have not purchased the license. Hope it helps.

by Angel Cabrera

mwm417, here is my answer to a similar question "There is a way to erase the password without erasing your files. Plug in your iPhone. Open My Computer (or Computer for Vista). Click on Folder options and enable to view hidden files. Next go to iPod_control and click on the folder named Device. If your iPhone is locked, there will be a file _locked . Rename the file to _unlocked. Remove your iPhone and it should be cleared. This is the only way that I am aware off, other then a total restore where you will of course lose your data. Good Luck and let us know if it works.If you have trouble getting your iPhone into disk mode, check on here. check on here. Hope this helps, good luck.

==UPDATE==

Okay just thought I add this. you can also do it this way:"Both PCs and Macs will recognize your iPhone or iPod touch as a camera when you connect it. This means that you can offload your pictures to your computer without having to use iTunes. Here’s how you do it:

PCs (Windows XP)

Connect your iPhone/iPod touch via the USB cable, open Control Panel, and go to Scanners and Camera >Apple iPhone (or iPod).

Right-click on it and choose Properties from the menu.

Go to the Events tab and choose “Camera connected” from the “Select an event” drop-down menu.

Pick one of three Actions:

Start this program – The default program is Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, which will take you through the process of downloading your pictures. You can also choose a different program from the drop-down menu.

Take no action – Choose this option if you want to manage your photos with iTunes. Windows won’t do anything automatically when you connect your device.

Save all pictures to this folder – Choosing this option will automatically download your photos to a folder that you choose whenever your device is connected.

Macs

Connect your iPhone/iPod touch and launch Applications >Image Capture.

Go to Preferences >General.

Under Camera, select Image Capture in the “When a camera is connected, open:” option, and then click OK. Now when you connect your 
iPhone/iPod touch, Image Capture will be launched and you can choose where you want to download your images.

from here Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great response! However, the iPhone doesn't show up in iTunes unless it is in DFU mode so I can't find a way to enable disk mode for it to make it show up in Windows Explorer. Is there any other way to get it into disk use mode besides iTunes?

by mwm417

mwm417, I just tried something with my phone. Disable itunes from popping up when you plug your phone in. If in doubt, you could even delete itr. When I plug my phone in, after I set iTunes to prevent automatic syncing and prevent it from starting up, my iPhone is being recognized as a digital camera and shows up as such under the My Computer/computer. I can then access the picture on my phone. give that a try. the other thing that worked for my phone is a shareware program called "Sharepod" at it is available right here". It allowed me to download my pictures and songs to my computer.

by oldturkey03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PC9BV-e...!

just watch it, my fotos are back without paying money.

If the phone won't turn on past the apple logo to the main screen then there is no hope of getting any information out of the phone NO programe will work to remove anything ..

Don't download these programmes it's only wasting ur time

wrong it is still possible :D.

by trendnet18

agree that it's not possible if the only problem you have is a broken screen. if there's something more serious that's f'd up, like the motherboard, it's no use. I asked apple why the motherboard on my phone only lasted 1 year. the agent told me apple products weren't really designed to last long since everyone buys the latest model as soon as it comes out. Thanks, apple freaks.

by gaberry32

If you have back up your photos, you can restore from the backup.

To restore information from a backup, use one of the following methods after connecting your phone to the computer with which you normally sync:

1. Right-click (or Control-click) the device and choose Restore from Backup

2. If you have a new phone, you can connect to iTunes and it will prompt to restore from your backup

Solution from Apple.com: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

I guess following steps will help you to retrieve pictures from iPhone that won’t turn on

1. Connect the device to the computer-- Connect the dead iPhone to the computer and run the iPhone

2. Enter DFU mode of the device-- On the interface of the program, click “Start” button to activate the DFU mode of the device by referring to the steps on the program interface. Just hold Power and Home button at the same time for 10 seconds, when the 10 seconds passed, let go of the Power button but keep pressing Home button for another 10 seconds until you see the prompt to release the Home button now. Then the program will start to scan and analyze your device automatically.

3. Preview data on iPhone 4-- When the scanning ends, on the left column of the interface, you’ll see 12 kinds of data displayed. You can click them to preview before marking out the data for recovery

4. Retrieve data from dead iPhone- After choosing data for recovery, tap on “Recover” button, and a window will pop up for you to choose a computer location to save the data to, then click “Go” to start to recover data from dead iPhone

Hi, You mention press then START to enter DFU mode, now wich start do you mean? itunes? phone? or a software you use for DFU mode scanning? Kind Regards

by vlucianionut

Hey, what program should I be using to do these steps ? my old iPhone only gets as far as the apple sign when I plug it in to my laptop. However I have heard of these steps before on..http://www.iphone-ipad-recovery.com/ but this program costs and was hoping since you know these steps you may know another program that works the same ? Thank You

by eilssss

Is most people on here brain dead if the phone won't turn on then there is no way you can get anything off it no matter what programe you use!!!!!!!!

yup. that's been my experience. the programs that supposedly allow you to retrieve pics off a broken iphone don't work. it just says "phone not in normal mode. restart the device." that message just keeps displaying no matter what i do. i have heard of companies that will actually take your phone apart and can somehow connect to the memory directly to retrieve pics. i'm guessing it's costly, but i need those pics. anyone know anything about that method?

by gaberry32

buy display with broken glass but working touch for like 2-3 Dollar (iphone 4) or ask someone to lend you his iphone 4 :-))

enter the passcode after turning the device on and recover your data.

I know you do not want to put more money into that that old phone but still.

Most tips wont work because the iphone wont allow incoming connections as long the phone is beeing locked by a passcode.

There are special (not freeware) forensic tools that might help to bypass that but it might be far to complicated.

I used enigma recovery to retrieve all my lost iphone message and contacts internet history etc but I don't know if they recover iphone pictures because I never needed that service. but they was really supportive and not expensive, it may be worth contacting them and asking the question

Score -1

Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery may help you, which is a well-known program, it can recover lost sms contacts, photos and other apps data.

The con is that is paid, if you don't mind paying, you can click here to know more

I am not sure how in depth the free trial is, maybe you can try the free trial first

Score -1

PhoneRescue allows you to recover photos from device, from iTunes backup, and from iCloud backup. Since your iPhone is broken, you can choose recover from iTunes or iCloud to get back your lost photos without connecting to computer.

Check on:http://www.imobie.com/support/recover-de...

Score -1

If you have sync your old iPhone 4 with your iTunes, I think iTunes will automatically backup your iPhone 4.

If your iPhone 5 has no data on it now, you can restore your iPhone 5 with the iPhone 4 iTunes backup files.

If your iPhone 5 now has many data on it, you can only extract the data from your iPhone 4's iTunes backup file and then transfer them to your iPhone 5.

How to do that is:

1. Download, install and run iPhone data recovery software.

2. Connect your iPhone to your computer(iTunes installed)

3. The software will scan your iPhone and find the lost data for you.

4. Select the data you want to recover and the software will help you to get your data back to you easily.

You can find more info here:

iPhone Data Recovery

Score -1

mwm417 will be eternally grateful.