The Kodak ESP 3 is an all-in-one photo color inkjet printer.

Printer won't print in black. What's wrong?

Printer won't print in black. Colour works. I have replaced black cartridge with no results. Have used mostly black before, so it's strange that black won't work while colour does. Is it a built-in fault? At my wits end.

Look at the settings in your printer properties.

i did look at the printer properties, all is fine there. however; it still does not print.

Hi I am new to the forum, had the same trouble with my ESP 7250 would not print black and white, after trawling the net for solutions tryed every thing from printer solution to new print head still did not print black and white I uninstalled the the software reinstalled still nothing, tryed to download the latest software but said it was up to date I then started looking at the driver type and bingo there it was a generic Windows driver that was preventing the Kodak driver being installed I deleted it from print manager rebooted the pc run a word doc off with black and white print perfect, this was after three weeks off and on trying different solutions I believe that during one of many windows updates it had installed this generic driver hope this review helps someone with a similar problem looking at all the comments a lot of people are suffering the same problems

Could someone give me a walk though?

wow, same thing has happened to me too, i thought it was the ink, replaced both color and black and still only prints color. will try to install the kodak driver. do i need to un-install first?

Most Helpful Answer

Same issue here. It worked until my black cartridge got low. I did what I always do, changed the black ink cartridge and it didn't print from that point on. I thought it was the cartridge problem but I tried 3 (used an off brand), then went to the store to get a Kodak black cartridge and it still doesn't print in black. I loved this printer until this happened. Don't make me lose my faith in Kodak!

exactly the same problem, so frustrating as it has been great until now!

Call kodak and it is most likely your printerhead that needs to be replaced, they sent me one for free

800 421 6699

#1 mistake made when replacing cartridges. Shake them up well before installing them.

I've ran into the same issue with several of my customers. 95% of the time they are using off-brand inkjet cartridges that are cheaply sold -- and even when they do work, the circuitry typically fails within a few months.

On trick for ink cartridges is to heat up a cup of water in the microwave -- not boiling, but about as hot as you can stand to sip a cup of tea or coffee.

Next, twist the end of a paper towel and stick it into the water then DAB, do not rub, DAB the cartridge where the ink flows out -- without wetting the little circuit board. Do this a couple of times. You should start seeing the ink flow onto the paper towel. Once you do, use a dry part of the paper towel and blot it dry, do not scrub.

I've worked with 7 feet+ inkjets in graphics design shops in the past, each morning I used this technique to prime heads esp during weather changes.

Once you do this consult your manual for replacing ink cartridges -- re-install the (in this case black) cartridge and turn a test print (bonus: set your printer to b&w only so not to burn up your color ink -- drop a small photo into a word processing document.)

If the above doesn't work then the little electronic board/head is defective -- grab a new cartridge.

You my good man are a star!!! worked straight away! I was getting SO annoyed at not being able to print out a letter when i actually needed to.

Thanks SO SO much

Bless you for that suggestion. I was downright confused. I updated and it worked for the color, but I will be damned if I did not think to shake it up until I read your comment. Thank you :)

I have an ESP 9,and my printer stopped printing black ink. I did a copy function and still no ink so I knew it was the printer and not the driver. I changed both colour and black to no avail and tried cleaning the print head with a damp cloth, also to no avail. Figuring I had nothing to lose I ran the hot tap in the kitchen and allowed the hot water to flow into the print head rinsing out each of the colours and the two blacks. You could literally see the ink residue flowing through into the sink. After a couple of minutes I gave the print head a shake, gentle wipe with paper towel and re-assembled the print head and cartridges. Colour is a bit squiffy but black is now perfect. I have that many documents to print today and tomorrow that I would have had to buy another printer. Interesting to note, our printer is located next to the fireplace and we have had the fire on more than normal. When I get the chance I will relocate the printer to a cooler more ventilated place.

I ended up spending too many hours messing around with the printer in the following days. I have just spent £229.99 on an Epson ET-2550 which included 4 pots of ink that will print up to 7,000 pages and potentially will last 2 years. There is a black, red, yellow and blue tank to fill, they are clearly visible from the side of the printer. When they run out it will cost me £9.99 for each pot of ink. The printer will pay for itself in the first year, it is so fast compared to the Kodak, no clunking around after it's been resting. I will be taking the Kodak to the local waste tip on Monday.

I have now printed over 3000 pages and only replaced the black ink pot at £9.99 the other week, colour pots are still quite full

Simon Connelly was spot on for me. Black was working; I had to take it out for a day. Then no black ink when printing. Under the hot tap, lots of ink poured out, and hey presto, now the black is normal. Awaiting a new printhead, as only just saw this tip. Kodak are giving printheads away (Cost p&p only); must mean they have little confidence in them!!

If you copy something on the scan that has black and it prints it fine its a software issue. If it don't then the print head may have dried up. I recommend replacing the print head. You can wet down a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and dab the print head and see if you can get the ink flowing again it worked on mine. I also found if you leave it turned on so that it can run a cleaning cycle once in awile this can be avoided. Hope this helps. Copied from this website...

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1499908-ko...

Thanks a million for this speedy reply. Software update did not work thou, so I will start taking it apart...

The test page prints moderately well, the calibration print page also looks "acceptable." Still no black on Word doc. Will try reinstalling the K driver.

Printerhead is most likely the issue

the printer carrier for the black cartridge is burned out, thus it's not communicating with the black cartridge to make it squirt black ink. it can happen either way-color too.

printer carrier must be replaced.

my response to you all, screw inkjet printers because they're too much of a dang headache!!!!!

buy a laser printer, and you will be extremely happy you did! they're very competitively priced these days with inkjet printers, do not have even a fraction of the problems inkjets do because they use what's called a toner cartridge which last many months-i change my toner cartridges about once a year give or take.

yes, literally they're more expensive than inkjet cartridges, but compared to how long they last, you're actually spending less money than if you totaled up the number of times you had to buy inkjet cartridges just to equal the length of time laser toner cartridges last in comparison to inkjet cartridges.

plus, laser printers don't spend a minute or 2 making all that dang irritating noise preparing to print while you're wondering, "ok already, print, dammit!"

i also buy my toner cartridges on ebay for around $100-$120 for all 4 colors!

i have this very good laser printer, the Samsung Xpress model #SL-C460FW i bought practially new on ebay for $130! excellent laser printer, plus it's my second laser printer in since 2003-my other one lasted that long!

Kodak prints blue

Products are horrible. No more Kodak here

Kodak is still ok its your printerhead

yes mine wont print black not either, changed cartridge will scan and print ok but not print from pc i know the print head and cartridges are ok must be issue with software or setting

just checkout the print-head and see if you can clean it with clean cotton peace of Cloths and make sure you restart the device . and after that if it did not checkout this post how to setup Kodak printer with settings . try out and see if this help .

having problem with hp 2130 printer refilled cartridges but the black cartridges not printing only printing blank lines

I have had the same problem - I changed both cartirdges then cleaned the printhead but no success - I have just replaced the printhead and it's now working.

how do u replace the print head ,I would like to try this as I am having the same problem

I had the same issue with black ink not working and it was driving me mad. After reading all these comments it gave me an idea of removing the black ink and giving the holder a blast with a can of airduster, it now works perfectly :-) hopefully this will help others out

i think i will try this

I've had the same issue - for a couple of years now!! I can print perfect hi-res photos with full colour range including blacks, but if I print a document, the black ink is awful - it is grainy & misses every other line!

What I have to do now is to screenshot my document, import it into Adobe Lightroom, adjust the tones etc & then export as jpeg. When I then print it, the black is rich & almost perfect...

So it seems that 'quick print' fails & photo print works... the fix I will apply tomorrow if I haven't sorted it in 24hrs time is to simply throw it out of the window & buy another brand.

(KODAK customer support is the worst, not even gonna try that avenue again!)

Everyone complaining about the same issue; No solutions! You get, "It's the print tray" or," It's a Windows driver" (without actually specifying which of the umpteen drivers it is, durrrr), and countless other random posts without any real solution. Does anyone actually know what the issue is because I could sure use an explanation. No, it isn't the print tray, it isn't the fact that some of us use "Non Kodak" ink and it isn't something that just decides to happen at will. Kodak DO know what the issue is and it's more than likely a simple fix, but when you are skint it makes sense to encourage people to buy more of your products and services. Really Kodak, what would Paul McCartneys beloved late Missus think of your behaviour? Tut-tut!

The pigment in black ink is thicker and dries much quicker than lighter colours. Kodak print trays in particular i feel, are manufactured without taking this into consideration so the black tends to get bunged up during sporadic use. It suits Kodak though because a replacement print tray costs about as much as a new, low end yet perfectly acceptable printer......WITH INK!!!! Hahahaha, printers - one of the biggest scams on the planet, lol!!!

Change the printhead. Dont waste anymore time. Order one from amazon for 17$. It was a risky move considering the printer didnt have much value left as it is old (kodak hero 3.1) but now it works like new!

Im sure buying the cheap ink cartridges isnt the best thing for the printer but hey now i will hopefully get a few more years!

May be its time to replace print-head.

I found a similar Kodak printer that used the same print head. So when I changed it, it worked. The print head is easy to remove, it snaps in just like the ink cartridge.

My printer kodak2500series won't print black since putting new cartridge in please help

tried all the things people have said nothing , my settings are fine. I have the right driver.

Joe will be eternally grateful.