2.26 or 2.4 GHz / White plastic unibody enclosure

Battery not detected, won't charge; strange connector on logic board?

I repair MacBooks as a hobby, and have worked on quite a few A1342 models. I'm working on one now that has me stumped by a couple of things.

Problem: The main problem with this computer is that the battery is not detected and therefore it does not charge.

Things I know:

- Charger will turn orange for approximately 3 seconds when you first power on, but then resets to green

- No water damage

- Computer displays "there are no available batteries" in top right of screen with [X] where the battery should be when booted into OSX

- I think I was able to get it to say "not charging" a few times (I think this was immediately following the slew of SMC resets), but I can't get it to repeat that now

Things I've tried:

- I have tried multiple, known-good batteries

- I have tried multiple, known-good chargers (both 60W and 85W varieties)

- I have tried multiple, known-good magsafe boards

- I have reset the PRAM (cmd,opt,p,r) and SMC (shift, ctrl, opt, pwr) multiple times

- I have tried the "power button down for 10 seconds" and the "power button down for 5 seconds, plug in charger, wait 5 seconds" methods, each to no avail

- I have re-installed OSX, both Snow Leopard and Lion

- I have tested the RAM and RAM slots, both are fine

Is there some fuse that controls battery recognition/charging that could be blown? Similar to the way the backlight fuse can blow, etc. If not, what should I check? There's no water damage and no other damage. I don't have a schematic for this board (820-2567-A) so I can't tell where the battery/charging circuit is.

Other things I noticed:

- This logic board, for some reason, has a connector on the board that I've never seen. I searched on eBay and Google for a picture of one like mine, but could not find any. It looks just like the bluetooth board connector (and is in fact located right next to it, near the fan) on the logic board, but it's twice as long (same width and pin layout and everything). What is this connector for? There's nothing to plug into it in the case, and I've never seen one before. It looks factory-done.

Edit: I can't get it to let me post a comment to your answer, so I'll just edit here.

I have tried everything you mentioned with no success. Something else I noticed tonight, though, which is very strange, is the fact that the laptop WILL run off of battery perfectly fine! I accidentally pulled the charger out while booted into OSX, and the laptop stayed on...so I left it unplugged. It ran fine for 10 minutes off of the battery, despite showing the "[X]" icon in the top right (it tells me there's no battery available, but I'm running off of it).

When I plug the charger in right now, running from battery and booted into OSX, it turns orange, but then to green, so not charging.

I'm baffled. The computer still is not charging, but now it shows the "[X]" although it runs from battery fine (the screen even dims when I remove the charger...so it obviously detects the change in voltage from charger to battery power.

Any clues?

Hi.

Im having same problems and tryed to do things from XnriquXs list but my macbook wont start after command+option+P+R .

I'm having this same problem too! Got a new battery connector since the motherboard I ordered didn't have one (a1181 2.4GHZ model) has the exact same symptoms as above!

I have an Macbook Pro A1278 2.5ghz mavericks that is not reading the battery. It runs off the charger but the battery is X out. It will run off the battery at times bit if you shut it down it will not restart. Also the fan runs on high speed while running off the charger

First, I appreciate everyone helping out. I just found this forum. I too am having battery issues, with a replacement 65 watt battery. But the mid 2009 does seem to recognize... sometimes.... Sometimes it doesn't & battery depletes too fast.

Anyway, I am gonna try the MacBook Pro Unibody 13" MagSafe DC-In Board replacement & try to let ya'll know if that helps???

Wish me luck!

tcasey001, have you made sure the replacement battery is same wattage, etc as old one? Sounds like that replacement battery is the issue?

I deal with battery tools in my construction, day job & believe me there are some junk ones straight outa the box!

i found out it was the battery i send back and brought a new one from a store....they took a look at the battery and found it was not good...second new battery works well..

I have repaired many macbooks with the same or similar problems. Sometimes the macbook wont recognize the battery.

Here are some things I have done to fix theses problems on some macbooks:

• Disconnect removable devices from the macbook such as USB drives, firewire drives etc.
  • Remove any discs from the superdrive.
  • Disconnect the charger.
  • Remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
  • Connect the charger while still holding the power button, keep holding the power button for 10 seconds. (Note: This must be done WITHOUT THE BATTERY)
  • Turn the macbook on and immediately press and hold command+option+P+R keys. Release the keys when you hear the apple chime sound 3 or 4 times. (must be done before you see the white screen at start up)
  • Shut off the macbook when you get to the login screen or the desktop.
  • While the macbook is OFF press and hold Command+Option+Left Shift+ Power Button for 5 seconds. The sleep LED will go crazy and you might hear a loud tone coming from the speakers. Press the power button one more time to restart the macbook.
  • Again shut off the computer and remove the charger.
  • Install the battery and try to turn on the macbook.
  • Check to see if the battery will charge now and if the macbook will recognize the battery.

If doing all these things does not work then there is one more thing that you can do that has worked for me in the past BUT I AM WARNING YOU, IT IS DANGEROUS SO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

• Remove the charger.
  • Remove the battery.
  • While still holding the power button connect the charger.
  • While still holding the power button and the charger is plugged in connect the battery.
  • If the LED on the magsafe turns bright green then the problem is solved and the macbook is recognizing the battery again.

I hope this helps, good luck!!

Hi XnriquX,

Thanks a lot for your info, that worked for me... partially.

I was in the same situation as described above, and I could work on battery the MBPro Early2011.

Pros: the battery is not dead.

Cons: the green light in the MagSafe has gone (now there is no light at all) and the fan is working under cocaine trip, even with just only Mail and Safari open.

The case is the Mac doesn't recognise the battery, even working without the AC connected. Very rare.

I will keep posting.

Thanks again you all.

I tried both of those methods and still i have the x over my battery.. the led light on my chagrer isnt coming on anymore. my battery is completely dead. i know this because when i press the idicator button it doesnt even light up anymore

Have you checked the components of the sensing circuit for the battery?

Thanks for saving my Mac. I have a dead battery and replace it with 3rd party battery then it went wrong. Coconut battery shows the new battery still holding charge but my macbook air(mid 2011) show warning to replace the battery and sometimes show no battery available. Tore it down and did what you suggested.

Replace i6259 on the board

I believe (from reading other discussions about this problem which I am currently experiencing as well) that the "power brick" is the square block of the charger unit itself.

I have the white unibody macbook with the battery that you aren't supposed remove yourself.

The battery will hold a 100 % charge. But no lights come on the magsafe connector when attached and I don't think it charges when no lights show on the magsafe.

If left attached while the battery is disconnected the green light will come on and the computer will run off the charger.

Reconnecting the battery will see the green light return, change to yellow and then back to green when 100% charged.

Unplug the charger and again when plugged back in nothing happens until the procedure is re-enacted.

I will try the tips listed above and report back.

I've gone through the first set of steps and it seems to have worked like a charm.

I am at 83% charge and riising. The ultimate test will be to unplug the charger and see if it works when plugged back in. I don't know if I should do it now at 84% or wait until fully charged. So,I'll try it now...

Partial success-the orange light came on dimly but didn't stay on very long and it didn't even begin to charge. Removing the connector and plugging it back in is back to no light whatsoever and no charge.

Now to try the second set of instructions...

Nope. Nothing. Back to completely unresponsive. unplug the battery and it will start up on the charger with the green light on. Connect the battery and it shows charging.

IfI ever figure out what's causing this I'll report back.

@Chris Bayrd

As for your problem (as well as the others) battery issues are always the biggest problem in any laptop (Apple or any ones else's). The Problems can be broken down into three parts:

• The chargers condition
  • The batteries health
  • The charging logic internally in the system

Charger - Many people fail to maintain their the chargers cords. Twisting them into a knot and expecting it to still work! Also damaged connectors can cause issues. A shorted cable not only not charge the battery or over charger it, it can often damage the charging logic internally in the computer which can be a very expensive repair!

Battery - Over time the battery breaks down the life span of most batteries is around 800 - 900 cycles. Download this little gem: coconutBattery. If you had a bad cord your battery may have been over charged causing it to swell. This can then effect the keyboard & trackpad. Sadly it time for a new battery if this happens and you'll need to check your charger.

Charging logic - The MagSafe connector is often the first signs of problems as the insulator is melted and/or the pins are discolored. Dirt and metal crumbs can also cause problems! Make sure you keep the connector surfaces clean. Don't use anything metal inside the laptop connector! As you don't want to create a short.

The MagSafe charging logic can also be damaged by static electricity! Maker sure you don't zap your system around the connector or logic board if you have opened your system up. Follow good ESD practices.

Both of these conditions often require deep diagnostics to save the logic board. Or its time for a replacement logic board.

I all most forgot the spoiler here! Liquid damage. Anytime you spill water, coffee, soda or juice into your system all bets are off! As the damage can be quite large.

Lastly, the MagSafe LED and the battery checker LED's are also very useful to diagnose problems!

Oh my goodness! I've been looking for a solution for months after my computer would not charge the battery. I even bought a new magsafe charger... a changed out the charging port, new battery, reset the sms... nothing worked! Until now!!!

Steven will be eternally grateful.