Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

LCD works during BIOS & W7 boot then goes black until closed/reopened?

I have an Acer Aspire 3820tg. When I turn on my laptop the LCD screen turns on as well and functions normally throughout BIOS intialization and partway through Windows 7 intialization. Then the screen goes black and stays black until I close the lid and then reopen it (once not multiple times), at which point I can see the Windows 7 log-in screen.

• This is the only time the screen behaves abnormally.
  • The laptop restores from sleep or hibernate without a problem.
  • There are no problems related to dim brightness levels or unusual color tints or corrupted video artifacts.
  • The abnormal behavior does not seem related to the angle of the screen relative to the body of the laptop... It is more like flipping a switch; the lid must be fully closed and then reopened for the screen to turn back on.
  • This happens every time that the computer is restarted.

What is causing this and how do I fix it? The problem lacks many of the usual symptoms that point towards a faulty LCD cable or power inverter board, but I don't see how it could possibly be software related.

Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor more than our dads—let’s celebrate all the mentors who taught us how to fix.
Father's Day Gift Guide
Let’s honor those who taught us how to fix.

Try to boot your laptop from another Cd i.e. a Linux live version (i prefer Puppy Linux). If your LCD stays on and functions properly, then it is a Win 7 issue, if not it's hardware. Update all your Win7 drivers for your device as well.

John Harris will be eternally grateful.