PC Laptop

Repair guides for many brands of PC laptop (notebook) computer.

Laptop: The screen is black. The back light is visible

Since I haven't really found anything that brought me any further, I decided to put up a question myself.

After my laptop got dropped, the monitor stopped displaying. The only thing that's still working is the back light. It reacts when I change the brightness, too. Also, I tried to connect an external monitor; it didn't help.

My guess is that a contact has got loose. I try to find it but I don't even know where to screw the laptop open exactly.

My laptop isn't made by a big brand, so does anyone know where such contacts are usually?

Thank you.

First you need to let us know what laptop you have. Second, if an external display does not work, it is most likely part of the GPU (your logic board) that is giving you trouble. Have you made sure that you have your laptop set to an external display? Once you do have it opened, check your cables and make sure they are fully seated, check the logic board for any cracks etc.

by oldturkey03

I did connect an external monitor a few times back when it worked, and it did work like that. The model is M670SRU. I've screwed it open a few times. There are two covers you can unscrew on the bottom. One had things in it like CPU, RAM and the other one has had the hard disk drive in it. I tried to unscrew the whole bottom part but it wouldn't release itself. Sounds like I should retry that, though (probably forgotten a few screws) .. . Thanks for your suggestions.

by dvda

So it's a Clevo M670SRU?

by oldturkey03

Not a Clevo. I can't find mine at Google at all, but other M670SRUs seem to look the same, anyway. It's a ditech model. A brand by the Austrian computer retailer DiTech (www.ditech.at)

by dvda

DiTech is just a reseller. Most likely its a Clevo manufactured in Taiwan. they are marketed to many European countries under different names. However, DiTech does not produce any computers.

by oldturkey03

dvda, lets start you off with the service manual. Download that from here. It will show you how to disassemble your laptop properly :) Once you have it opened, take a look at the connector to the LCD. Make sure it is properly seated, as well as all other connections. Let us know how you are coming along. Hope this helps, good luck.

I've unscrewed the laptop and well, no cracks found. Also, all contacts to the inside seem seated well.

by dvda

Take a look at the processors and see if there is anything obvious. Remember, we are talking microcracks. If your connections are seated right, all cables are without any cracks and your motherboard does not show any cracks, the video should output to an external monitor, even if your inverter and/or your LCD are not working.

by oldturkey03

is it normal that there's a greyish kind of goo on the cpu?

by dvda

between the heatsink and the CPU? That could be thermal paste? what does it feel like?

by oldturkey03

a bit like tooth paste. The color stays on the finger.

by dvda

dvda will be eternally grateful.