0

Dan Sufficool
1

Replacing cracked glass screen?

So far online I have not found digitizers to replace a cracked screen ( :( mine is broken :( )

I have found two things though. One is a glass screen without the LCD and Digitizer ($20) and the other complete glass/digitizer/lcd screen ($200)

Links:

Glass Screen

Full LCD/Glass/Digitizer

How can I make the $20 dollar option work, can a digitizer be removed from one glass screen to another? Or can I expect glass screens with digitizers to come out sometime soon? Or do I have to fork up money?

Also are is the items posted compatible with t-mobile t999? I know it says i9300, but all of them have the same dimensions

Edited by: Adam Hintz ( )

i have the same prob. please help.. Dav

dovid leib marozov,

from what i have noticed about Samsung is they want you to pay more, in every way. sorry about yall's phones. sorry this does not answer any questions.

qpunk,

4

The glass is fused to the display, and the display to the Galaxy S III's frame. These are most certainly very difficult to separate. You are more likely to break the LCD as well by even trying. Even if you could do it successfully, you will still have to find a way to "glue" them back together. I don't think there are any cheap options at this time.

4

jtryan77
61

The digitizer CAN most certainly be carefully removed from the frame and LED on the Sprint Galaxy SIII model. I run a repair shop and I was able to complete the repair by slowly and carefully heating with a heat gun and separating with a plastic pencil-type spudger. The adhesive used to fuse the digitizer and display in the SIII is much softer and more pliable than the adhesive used in iPhone (which I have never seen separated properly). The display on the SIII's is a very thin and very expensive OLED, so I proceeded with the greatest of caution, not knowing sure if it was possible, and also not having a spare display if something went wrong. When you order the replacement digitizer, upon receiving it looks wrong, as it is just the glass with no cables as you would find on a standard digitizer. But that is all you need, assuming that it is just the digitizer that is broken. I can not speak for models other than the dark-blue Sprint SIII. Also, I only did the one phone, so I can not say whether all Sprint SIII's are this cooperative, but I successfully completed that job. One other note: I only re-adhered the edges of the digitizer to the back to the phone, I DID NOT attempt to re-adhere the entire viewing portion of the digitizer back to the viewing portion of the LED; I could see no situation in which I would be able to pull that off and still have a clean viewing area. I have some pictures of the repair that I took during dissasembly to insure everything went back where it was supposed to, I can share those if anyone wants. Take your time, go twice as slow and three times as carefully as you want to, and this job can be completed.

Well said jtryan77, and for those of you that are looking for the Digitizer only for the S 3, here is a link https://www.gounlock.com/details.php?ite..., they are out of stock today but you can give them contact info and they will let you know when they have more, this is a reputable parts supplier in CA that I use.

Mitch Rush,

1

Lula
13

It is very difficult to replace only the glass of I9300.

It is easy to broken the lcd display if you can not replace it correctly.

I9300 glass link:

I9300 White Glass

1

tolgar
25

digitizer can not remove from one glass screen to another separately.... you can only replace the Assembly(complete glass) http://www.prezzydeal.com/tag/product/li...

1

kidwell56
13

All of the videos on youtube look like they are working on the 9300 verison of the phone. This is the international version so it may be different. I took the phone apart and it was fused together at the bottom. I have a heat gun, watched the videos, and successfully BROKE my phone. DO NOT TRY

1

Andrea Bonelli
13

do not try !!! is very difficult, only a laboratory well equipped can do it without broke it completely !!!!

0

Petter Storm
1

This video seems to cover the procedure to replace only the glass (20$ option)

Feedback is generally positive. I think patience is the key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_...

0

jorge g
1

u can fix it is easy go to youtube and look for the video glass replacement u need philip screw driver, and hair dryer, is no that hard to do it u can go following the video. that if your phone stiil turn on mean is just the glass i hope this help u

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , jorge g ( )

0

sofarand
1

i think you can do replace work by yourself according to the assemble or take aparts vedios on YOUTUBE, it is not difficult to do that. You just need to buy your needed parts in ifixit or other stores.

0

yigal
1

i can tell you that it is very hard to replace the glass only and most of the times it will be much easy to replace all the unit including the LCD and the frame.

i know a web that sale both of the options, they are ok and give you a good serves from my experience with them but not for this phone model,

you can try to get them at www.togytech.com

good luck

0

benjaminhynes
1

0

Jason Rodriguez
1

Heres a link to a video on how to do it with business cards which makes it easier: http://www.xpressfix.com/blog/2013/04/sa...

0

Jose Martins
1

Its is possible to replace the glass only. You must heat the glass to 280 degrees and use a wedge on both sides to SLOWLY lift the glass. You will see the glass desperate from the glue. Keep the glass hot enough before lifting upwards. I have successfully does this procedure over 10 times even with shattered glasses. Its time consuming but be patient.

Also the bottom is NOT fused, the soft keys are adhered to the glass so you must use a plastic wedge to peel them off. Also you must remove all the old glue from the LCD and you do not need to replace that. Just use some doublesided tape on the edges.

0

Dustin Jones
181

Depending on the person, it's not worth the time. The youtube videos are for repair stores if they so wish to attempt.

We purchase back broken LCDs from repair centers around the us and so I speak for the masses when they say "It's not worth it".

You need dust free environment, optical glue some time and a steady hand to separate the LCD from the digitizer and the right parts.

Most repair locations attempt these types of repairs but the quality for a paying customer is not consistent enough to make it worth the time and effort. When we buy the LCD screens back, they call back saying it was too much of a headache and prefer to just sell back to us.

Even when professionally replacing just the digitizer, there is a 10%-15% chance of something going wrong and everything being worthless.

if you like tinkering and have some time, ...my opinion would slightly shift.

@Dustin Jones, great idea and all but please add your site to your profile and not in the answers. That could be perceived as spamming....

@Dustin Jones, you are correct as you may damage the LCD in the process but if you did... Wouldn't you be in the same boat you were had you just ordered the LCD assembly ...which is quite easy to install even as a novice? Thx LCD assembly is $200!! If they sold you the LCD that retails online for $100+, what would you pay them? I am interested to ask why you would come to an ifixit website and tell users to NOT repair their phone themselves for possibly $20 and advertise your LCD buying company.

Jose Martins,

0

joe
1

i have instructions on pixcs.com check them out

0

Desiree Nunn
1

Yu can order just the glass assuming yur Fone is functioning correctly still yu need double sided adhesive tape and a heat gun nd razor knife. Yu can swap the glass out in 20 minutes if yu look online there are videos on procedure.

0

mkgammill
1

Yes the two screens can be separated and the outer one replaced. I did it setting in my living-room, with no special tool except the ones that came with the new screen. My Galaxy S3 is a US version. I only taped around the edges and have since broken the new screen, next time I will glue the whole thing.

This Month: 1,419