0

Danielle
11

Volume buttons or ringer not working

So for two weeks now my side volume buttons don't work. When I try to change the volume the little speaker picture doesn't even show up. I can't hear any of my incoming calls or text messages. But if I turn in my iPod on it I hear the music. So my speaker does work. I can't find what I have to do. My phone is updated to IOS 5.1.1 also my phone isn't jailbroken.

Edited by: Danielle ( )

0

asdfghjkl
43

Your device may be on silent

9

Sally
77

I had exactly the same problem with my iphone. Tried everything - air compressor, Change with Buttons setting, cotton bud cleaning, dropped on a carpeted floor (!!) - and nothing worked. Basically my side buttons are broken. So, a way around this is to go into Settings, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch, and turn it to ON. This brings a little white dot onto the main screen which can be used instead. Then tap on the white dot, go into Device, then make sure the Mute/Unmute says Mute (as in, you have to press it to Mute it - if it says Unmute it means it is muted!!). You can also adjust the volume settings from this spot. I hope this helps someone!

4

Jake Devincenzi

Hey Danielle,

First, make sure that the ring/silent toggle on the top of the left edge of the phone is flipped to ring (not displaying a red dot). Then, go into your settings and click on Sounds. Under the "Ringer and Alerts" option, make sure that the "Change with Buttons" option is toggled to on. Try using the volume buttons again.

If this doesn't fix the problem, use the slider under the "Ringer and Alerts" to turn the volume all the way up. See if this allows it to make noises.

• If the buttons work after toggling the "Change with Buttons" option to on, your device is fixed!
  • If the buttons still don't work but the screen's slider allows you to turn the volume up, you will probably need to replace the volume control cable.
  • If after all of this, you still do not hear the ringer or alerts, let us know and we can troubleshoot further.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey Jake, so everything is on, when I change the volume on the ringer with the slider I do hear like full blast ringtone I just don't hear the calls or texts or even the click sounds when I text. Other then that nothing is working still:/

Danielle,

It's not:/ I looked at all settings

Danielle,

Hmm, and you have all of those settings turned on, as well?

Jake Devincenzi,

Yeah everything is on

Danielle,

2

jojo
37

if u go to setting slide it onto airplane mode for a minute then slide it off. ur volume buttons n txt alert n ringer shud work now. mine does it all the time its so annoyn.

2

Natasha Kye
25

My problem was when my headphones were disconnected, there's no sound when playing music on my iPod. There's also no clicking/typing sounds. My phone still rings when someone calls me though. However, it doesn't ring when I receive text messages. No sound at all. When I press the volume buttons with the headphones disconnected, it shows the sign 'Ringer' but without the full volume bar (I hope you guys know what I'm talking about).

My solution:

The hair dryer. I did everything else, hard reset, toothpick cleaning of charging port and headphone jack, blowing into the headphone jack, sucking out air from the jack and nothing worked. I was skeptical about the hair dryer at first because I was afraid that the warm air might melt my internal phone components but I tried it and it worked. I put my hair dryer on the lowest speed, and held it about 10cm away from my charging port and then to my headphone jack. 3 seconds was all it took. I'm not exaggerating. I literally just held it at the charging port for 1 second and then at the headphone jack for 2 seconds. I switched off my hairdryer, double tap the home button and the iPod control shows up WITH the volume slider. Worked like a charm.

To prevent this from happening in the future, do not disconnect your headphones while music is still playing. I find that this problem creeps up everytime I do that. Pause the music first and then unplug your headphones.

1

Mitch Rush

I get Iphones with these symptoms all the time, the first thing I do is clean lint or any debris out of the charge-data port with a dental pic, then I clean the charge-data port with an alcohol soaked toothbrush while holding the phone upright so the excess alcohol cant find its way deeper inside the phone, if that doesn't fix it the charge data port gets replaced and takes care of it.

1

Mico
13

Ok so, I was determined that the port did not need replacing (slipping it in and out of the dock port, i could see I was getting a few more milliseconds of the speaker...and after two more replies about cleaning, i have made another attempt!

I carefully took cotton from swab and nail tool to clean the long edges of the port pin inside the dock connector on the phone. Several gentle yet firm passes along this edge did the trick. It took determination (30 mins) but was successful!

Thank you for your support and tips!

Glad to help Mico, funny how easy it was, I see this problem daily !

Mitch Rush,

1

Paul Butler
13

Hi all

I tried all of the above but the thing that worked was very simple. I brought a can of compressed air from my local computer shop, I turned the phone off and blow out both the headset jack and the charging connection, turned the phone back on and all working again :-)

I did drop my phone in the snow which started my problems with the volume buttons but the symptoms were as described above.

Hope this helps

1

jaredr
13

Believe it or not, I used a little isopropryl alcohol rubbing pad... the kind that the nurse rubs on your arm before a shot. I slid it as best i could into the bottom connector, both sides. And voila. the volume buttons started working again. (previously, i would hit them and the ringer icon would appear, but the little dots below were missing.)

0

DAnielle
1

My phone is having trouble

Seems to be the mute button and the plus volume

It won't ring or make noise

Help!!

0

Nicholas
1

MIne is doing the same thing. If I change my ringtones, I can hear the short clip. The alarm sound works too.

However, the phone doesn't ring when someone calls or texts. The speakers won't play out loud on the ipod or youTube. But, if I have my headphones in everything works.

I've tried the switch on the side of the phone obviously.

I've tried the airplane mode thing, didn't work.

I've tried playing with the slider in the setting>sounds AND the "change with buttons."

Nothing is working.

I had my phone jail broken about 6 months ago, so now I can't take it in. WHat can i do?

0

Sabih Khan
1

my phone is doing the same thing. if i hit the volume up key it shows me a speaker with no positions underneath it

0

Jase
1

My iphone 4s is doing this too - I get sound plus slider control via headphones but not the side buttons for main speaker. Apple recommended a back up & then restore as new device via itunes. I did this & now get the speaker symbol but still no control. I was advised to check that my device woks via a docking station etc.... but do not have one to test. They advised that th headphone & docking/charging sockets collect dust etc.... & at times need to be cleaned out with a toth brush or similar. With your device on, you should be able to see a light inside your headphone socket once cleaned. Problem still not fixed having tried all of the above?????

0

Jase
1

Sounds very stupid but I found via google & Itunes help that if you try sucking (without getting wet) the headphone jack it will clear the fault. I tried this (looking silly at the same time), guess what - IT WORKS. Not sure if you will get the same results by using a hoover instead of sucking if you don't want to look silly.

0

lauren
1

i have an iphone 4 and the following things are wrong

• when clicking the volume + and - no on screen picture shows up and volume doesnt change
  • the mute switch doesnt work when switched (buttons are allowed in settings)
  • when putting volume up and down in settings volume goes up and down and everything can be heard
  • when typing you cant hear the little tapping noises
  • when previewing message tones and phone ring you can hear out load or in head phones
  • When headphones are in the volume buttons and switch still dont work

I dont know what this means as the sound sometimes works but then doesnt work for things like when typing, does anyone know how to fix this?

0

dobie1965
1

I had no sound when receiving a imessage, text or email.

Here's how I got it fixed. I went into itunes. The volume was all the way down. I turened it up and all is right with the world again. If you think about it all these sounds are sync'ed in iTunes so...I think it's a bit of a needed fix by Apple, but you know-Apple will do what Apple wants- when Apple wants. Until then---------

0

Kimberley
1

I can't get any ringing volume I have to put people on loud speaker to talk to them and have no volume on my phone I've tried all suggested answers could someone please help its driving me crazy! Thanks Kim

Edited by: Kimberley ( )

0

Sabih Khan
1

Could this be a malfunctioning dock? as i mentioned earlier I have the simliar issue but my iphone got wet. in the beginning it thought it was on headphone mode but after sucking the air out of the headphone port it worked.

later it will only work with headphones, when i do the volume control it will ring, but +- Volume gives a picture of a speaker with no dashes underneath.

feels like its stuck in dock mode.

0

bente
1

is there actually any solutions for this problem?

0

Cathie Cahill
1

Try cleaning the headphone socket with a cotton bud and some surgical spirit, as well as cleaning the charging socket with a toothbrush. This worked for me.

0

Rob
1

I agree with Cathie, I tried everything, restarting it, wiping it, the lot. My phone would not show the volume bars and I would hear no sound when playing something.

From what I can gather the phone is thinking it is docked i.e. to a speaker of some kind and is getting confused. There is a sensor in the bottom of the dock which is supposed to sense if anything is connected. However if dust allows to gather at the bottom then this is where the issue starts to creep in. I had used a toothbrush before to clean the gap but when I used a toothpick I found there were large clumps of dust and fluff that came out, and hey presto it worked. This type of stuff isn't just you're loose fluff that blows around, this is stuff that might have been in there a long time and started clumping so when you clean it, make sure something comes out.

0

Mico
13

I have tried it all too.

The only noteworthy observation: when i remove the iphone 4s from the dock in playing mode (while playing), there is about 2 seconds with the volume control and sound, then it disappears and volume ceases. It is still playing though. If I pop in my headphones, the volume is there and the volume slider appears again.

This is definitely a software glitch. I hope to not have to update to new os6.

I have been using airport mode more regularly lately...I am thinking there may be a relation here.

I feel as though, a certain workflow is what caused this glitch and am trying various workflows to "kick it out of dock mode"

Anyone?

(my phone is NOT jailbroken)

Edited by: Mico ( )

0

joeyluevano
1

i left the phone on silent for about an hour and then the phone started working again. hope this helps

0

theboysofo
1

I have had 2 separate occasions when the side volume controls in the iPhone 4S do not function and can not get audio from the speakers when playing music, or receiving alerts, or calls.

When pressing the up or down volume buttons on the side of the phone a window with the speaker icon in the center would appear in the middle of the display screen. The bars beneath the speaker icon were missing and pressing the up or down volume buttons did NOT initiate the sound level bars beneath the speaker icon to appear.

Tried many suggestions from several forums and ONLY when I reseated the iPhone in a DOCK did the problem disappear. Apparently the connector pins at the bottom of the iPhone collect debrie over time and can cause electrical grounding that will cause this problem to occur.

Take note that using an iPhone USB cable to simulate the receiving end of a DOCK connector will not work. It must physically be reset into an actual DOCKING STATION.

To help eliminate this problem in the future clean the connector pins on your iPhone periodically.

0

khalid
1

slide keys problem,, volume up down key is not working thats why the ringer not working when somebdy calls while it works when u go straight to ringtones

0

Yuko Agudo
1

I need help!! my iphone is still not working. Same condition with danielle

0

Anthony Lazalde
1

Try charging it an play music an then try to change the volume an see if that works

0

frank
1

people don't Go crazy, i fond the real problem, its a dirty headphone jack, clean it with the phone is OFF, use a wet cotton ( alcohol) , clean it few times till it works, worked for me , thanks god good look!! !!Please Vote so other users can find this quickly

Edited by: frank ( )

0

Keith
1

Agree with Cathie Cahill!

"Try cleaning the headphone socket with a cotton bud and some surgical spirit, as well as cleaning the charging socket with a toothbrush. This worked for me."

It really works!

0

Kai Janson
1

Check for dirt in the dock connector by software :)

Here is how:

• Double tap the home button
  • Move bottom menu all the way to the left (sound slider)
  • Look for the Sound Selector (round button next to volume slider)
  • Tap on Sound Selector
    • The choices should include "iPhone"
    • If you do see "Dock Connector" that's where the problem stems from

Solution:

Take a soft bristle toothbrush and clean the dock connector thoroughly.

Do not use any liquids or the liquid might shorten out signal and you might

have even more problems (a possibly dead iPhone).

Make sure you insert the soft bristles gently (no forcing!) and move it side to side

gently. Use some computer grade compressed air to clean out the now loose debris.

Repeat once and blow it out again.

By tapping on the round button as described above you should now see an 'iPhone'

choice. Tap on it, increase your volume in case it's all the way down and enjoy your

iPhone once again. 5 minutes well spent.

--Kai

0

ashik
1

hai helo can u help me

my iphone 4s cant make volum up or down but button its stil working pls help me

ashik,

0

S Munroe
1

i had the same problem.....sucking and cleaning worked

0

Supaphawee L
1

I go to clock > set alarm > choose sound and then it's work for me. Also, the left up/down settings sound is working now.

0

Deon
1

Thank you for the help on this site. I had no ring tones and took it to 2 Apple stores and no one could fix it or tell me what was wrong. I got the answer on the first help on this page. I don't know how the mute button on the top left of the phone was changed as it was in an otter case. As easy as that, my problem is solved.

Thank you once again.

Deon

0

Brandon
1

hello, I just recently replace my iphone 4 lcd and digitizer and when I put it all back together everything was working besides the volume up button on the top left of the phone, the volume down works perfectly the mute and unmute button works perfectly

What can I do?

plz help...

0

Brandon
1

Thanks but still no luck. My volume button still doesn't work. Could it be possible that I broke or touch something whilst changing the front glass

0

tina
1

I had the same issues with my phone. though it was in a life proof case, somehow the coke I spilled made it into the phone. Cleaning with the brush and the dust removed worked perfectly......Thank you so much, you guys rock!

0

Vano
1

After trying to clean it with a tooth brush and some pointless research I realized it was playing music when I had pressure on the home button, actually it turned out pressure period on the bottom so I squeezed it back together and she works perfect this probably due to me dropping it on its intena :( so if u have dropped ur iPhone and u aren't getting sound this might be a solution

Edited by: Vano ( )

0

LeahChantelle
1

It's basically dirt built up. If its driving you crazy and you don't have ear buds present or the alcohol. Then follow Sally's advice it worked for me.

" go into Settings, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch, and turn it to ON. This brings a little white dot onto the main screen which can be used instead. Then tap on the white dot, go into Device, then make sure the Mute/Unmute says Mute (as in, you have to press it to Mute it - if it says Unmute it means it is muted!!). You can also adjust the volume settings from this spot. I hope this helps someone!"

Great advice. Easy and WILL work :)

0

Juan Alvarez
1

I had the same problem. The solution to fixing this is to plug in ear phones and what a video hold the volume button up and just keep holding the click the home button and unplug the earphones/headphones finally let go off the volume up button and test if worked.

I Hope this worked

0

Scott Cooney
1

i just blew down the dock connector and headphone socket a few times and it started working. Must have been dust.

0

Joheb
1

here is a simple fix guys the problem caused bcoz of the silent button. first keep ur phone in silent mode dragging the button down and while switching back to the normal mode again drag the button up hard. I guess the problem caused due to the misplacement of the switch so drag up hard.

it worked for me!!!!

0

ladybugxx
1

Mine did the same. It was driving me mad first it was intermittent so wasn't sure weather it was just me. Then I realised I was missing calls and texts when I had my phone right with me.

I cleaned the charger port with a needle and cotton wool. W O W!! What a load of dirt was in there blocking it up. It worked perfectly after that. Try it, it may also work for you.

Julie.

0

Praveen Kumar
1

hi i'm facing same kind of problem. I'm able to hear ring tone and message alert some times. Only problem is when i try to play music or any video the volume button is disabled.

I tried formating using online restore, but it didn't help. Please suggest. I tried above option still not able resolve. I facing it from one month.

0

Praveen Kumar
1

test

0

Sc Sully
1

I was experiencing no ringer or text sounds, buttons and music volume were all working. The answer to my puzzle was the mute switch on the side, no idea how that got switched over. On the bright side my ports got a good cleaning.

0

L M
1

I tried a CO2 canister (for bicycle tyres) but that didn't really work. Then I tried a blow drier on its cool setting. That worked like a dream.

0

Ruth Anne Mak
1

Same here with the volume buttons not working. I followed suggestions here and cleaned out the docking port hole. Apparently there was something in it since the buttons are working now. Yay!

0

alinasir
1

just clean ur iphone mbl charging slot, coz of dust, volume control option is not working.

cheeeeeerrrrssssssss

0

William Graham
1

Hey i just had that problem today.. i just plugged the cord in the usb port through the PC then plugged it in my phone.. while it was charging i played music and the sound was working perfectly.. and the sound on Vine and Youtube worked as well along with text alerts and ringtones.. After you checked everything just take it out and you're good to go.. its a possible solution but I hope it works out for anyone.

0

Eli TEC
1

Hey Guys and Gals! What I did was clean out the head phone jack and PRAY and guess what! it works! PRAISE THE LORD!

0

Muzikayise Mtshali
1

This us what I've just done:

Settings, general, reset, reset all settings.

I have my volume now !!

0

sharontdanial
1

As awkward as this is i had the exact same problem and went through most of the solutions everyone has posted. The one that worked; connecting it to a dock. I don't know what kind of Voodoo this docking station performed but it gave me back control of my volume settings and now it also shows the sound display :) Thanks guys!

0

Bubbles
1

Was having same problem with my iPhone 4S. All setting were on the correct way and slider button on side was on (covering red dot), phone would not ring when someone called, wouldn't ring when someone would text, music wouldn't play and volume for videos wouldn't play either. When pressing the volume button on side to make it go up or down, it would show the speaker but no volume control line. After trying everything under the sun. I googled it and guess what a simple fix and sounded kinda crazy but was willing to try anything. Press the right side of the corner of the phone by the home button a few times. Did this and finally started working. Hope this helps someone else out.

0

HYFA Cheer
1

Hooray! I had all of those problems exactly- then I did the alcohol in the headset jack and used a hair dryer . . . Completely working! Thanks so much!!!

0

HilmiJoe S
1

I found the solution to this recurring volume ringer problem.

There is a button on left hand side of the phone device, this button if switched off, it will set your volume ringer to MUTE. and regardless of you trying to raise the ringer volune or lower it from any where in your i Phone device, it will not change it! Even resetting your i phone software will not overcome the off position button.

switch it back and walla!

www.allcareflooring.com

0

Heidi Dodd
1

Make sure you check to make sure you hAve Bluetooth off. That was my problem and shut off Bluetooth and everything was back

to normal. Good luck !

0

sharon lee mckeown
1

OMG I feel like an idiot. Thanks Danielle my darn toggle button was turned off! DUH!!!!

0

Angel
1

The only thing i did was just blow in both the borts and then i checked the vloume and it started working again so there you go

Hopefully i helped somebody!

0

Cassidy
1

Tried everything. The speaker only works for alerts, alarms, and incoming calls. I don't know what to do. Someone help

0

Harmony
1

Try cleaning the iphone connector at bottom of phone. Use cardboard and insert into connector. If you look inside you can see a little divider, clean on both sides of this carefully and gently by sliding the cardboard back and forth. Gently tap phone and see if some dirt falls out. You may have to do this a few times. Also, check iPHONE : SETTINGS/SOUNDS - once in SOUNDS, scroll down to bottom to LOCK SOUNDS and KEYBOARD CLICKS make sure both are ON (green showing) if you are missing the camera click sounds and keyboard sounds while typing. Worked for me and I got close to chucking phone in the bin!

0

Peter
1

Hey guys :)

I have got no sound on my phone... no alerts, no msgs, doesn't ringing either, and when I make a call and try to switch on speaker it's not working as well. No sound at all. I got that volume bar... everything seems to be ok but sadly is not.

I did read all of the suggestions above and nothing seems to work for my Iphone 4s guys...... :@ That freaking me out .... Please help

0

vikram
1

thanks daneil ifor ur lovely solution my phone is working now

0

Angelxoxo
1

My volume thing just won't even pop up on the screen, well it does but it says 'sound effects' instead of volume, how do I fix this..?

0

con

Peter have you tryed replacing the dock connector?

0

paul naden
1

1. In settings go to reset at the bottom 2.then click (Reset all settings) this will not get rid of any data but it may get rid of your passwords and contacts.

!!It work for me!!

0

Micah
1

Hi all, just wanted to thank the community for all the advice! My side volume buttons stopped working after a night of being misted heavily next to my humidifier (my phone didn't like that for some reason). The hair dryer trick worked awesome! And I learned some stuff about my phone I never knew existed. Thanks all!

This Week: 3,409

This Month: 9,162