1

dconkright
13

How to Install SSD

I want to install a SSD into my MacBook Pro 17. I bought a Mercury Electra 3G SSD. How do I install it into my MacBook Pro? It didn't come with directions, although they told me it would work.

Edited by: Adam Hintz ( )

1

redeye0315
13

You either have to: 1.) replace your current HDD with the SSD or 2.) remove the SuperDrive CD burner and replace with your current HDD and put the SSD in the original place that the HDD was in. The latter is the most popular because you can still use the SuperDrive via USB by purchasing external case for the SuperDrive and you just plug and play with the USB, therefore having a HDD and SSD. Also, with the latter, you must purchase an OptiBay expansion kit to be able to place the HDD into the SuperDrive bay.

1

Adam Hintz
981

I just installed a second hard drive in the place of the optical drive in my MacBook the other day! It's pretty nice having the extra capacity.

Even if you just replace your current hard drive with your SSD, you'll see a significant speedup.

Here are the relevant guides:

Replacing the current hard drive:

MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Hard Drive Replacement

Removing the optical drive:

MacBook Pro 17" Unibody Optical Drive Replacement

Go to the last page of this guide on replacing the optical drive (it's for my machine, but the last page would help for installing the second drive)

Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Dual Hard Drive

And finally, the part that iFixit sells for the second hard drive:

Unibody Laptop Dual Drive

Good luck and enjoy your SSD!

Unibody Laptop Dual Drive

Add a hard drive to your laptop by replacing the optical drive with a second hard drive. Compatible with all Unibody MacBooks and Unibody MacBook Pros (excluding MacBook Pro Retina). 9.5 mm Internal SATA Optical Bay for SATA Hard Drives. — 50+ available at 39.95 each.