5

tkd
71

Fixing possibly damaged USB charging port

I seem to be experienced this issue: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/...

I think it most likely is a mechanical issue (the phone seems react on USB cable movement; what makes it not so easy to determine is that sometimes moving cable doesn't help until rebooting the phone).

After some investigation I found that there are suggestions to replace the charging port (one auction - already over - is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...).

I guess I am answering my own question already, but in that case it might be useful to others, especially since it seems that it's one of the most common issues. Actually I would like to have an advice whether my diagnosis is right and assuming it is, maybe some who already did such procedure could write guide how to do it?

It looks like a straight forward change, but I'm a total noob.

Edited by: tkd ( )

I have the same problem. Looks like my usb connector is damaged.

Juliano,

Wondering how this went...I just ordered a similar item and will embark on this sometime next week. Device charges *some* of the time but is not recognized by computer. I'd welcome any tips from anyone whos completed this replacement. Thanks in advance!

Benjamin Gottlieb,

I am waiting for my board to arrive, I bought on ebay but the customs on Brazil are veeery slow. As soon as it arrives I will try to replace the damaged one.

Juliano,

Ok, keep us updated...Mine should arrive sometime next week as well. If I can't relock my device with the one thats on here now I'm going to try and replace it with the new one.

Benjamin Gottlieb,

After looking at the replacement parts, I found that there are at least 3 types of the USB flex, and they seem to even have many revisions. The one that I linked to was for the GSM model and won't work with LTE one for example. I was unable to find the exact revision my phone and I don't want to break my phone further by installing potentially incompatible one, so I decided to just service it instead. The closest that I seen on eBay were LF-A G 1143 and LF-A G 1144. Mine is LF-A G 1149.

tkd,

5

Sam Thompson

I just successfully repaired my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and I made a full guide. You can find it here!

Hope this helps. I also linked to where I got the part from.

What revision of the USB flax did you have originally in your phone and what was the revision that you installed? It is too late, but worth to know when removing the speaker, you can do it safely by twisting it counter clockwise.

tkd,

Updated guide with revision. Old one was 1145, new one is 1150 23-3.

Sam Thompson,

What a great guide. Thanks Sam!

Walter Galan,

In the end I was able to get my device recognized by my pc for long enough to relock it so I'll be sending it back to verizon for service. Thanks for the repair guide, I'm sure it'll be a huge help for anyone else who has this issue in the future.

Benjamin Gottlieb,

2

144k

Derek Kulinski, yes, you did answer your own question :) and found the right part. You could try a different USB cable and see if it does make a difference. Most likely, the USB connector got dislodged or slightly bend so that it does not make good contact. It would be very difficult to solder it back on, so you will need to he part you found, to replace it. As for a guide, since you are going to work on yours, why not make the guide for everyone else. Just click on the "Make a Guide" tab on the right side of this screen and take a look at it. Use the teardown from here to see what you are up against. Good Luck.

1

cduerrschmid
13

I did some research and came to the same conclusion as tkd and sam. Since I don't own the tools and am not very good in repairing those things myself I had mobiletechvideos do it for me [(http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.co...)]

$35.00 is not super cheap but a fair price for not having to do it myself and risking serious damage to the device. I got my phone back after 9 days and since then it has been working like a charm.

Anyway, it sucks that the micro usb port is that fragile and got damaged so easily in the first place.

0

nicalous frith
1

after wiping my phone it charges but not connecting the computer

tell me why???????????

nicalous frith,

0

Melvin Ponce
1

you can but this charging port on click here to check it out you can get it for only $5 dollars deliver in 2 or 3 days ship from los angeles CA USA the same day you place and pay you order.

0

xelz
1

The micro usb charging port on the nexus is notorious for becoming useless b/c cords fit loosely in the port right out of the box. Micro usb cords get wiggled and jiggled because of the size of the opening and then the port will no longer charge b/c solder breaks from the board, or the tongue inside the port partially breaks apart.

You can do the repair yourself (hopefully)

This Month: 1,041