0

Grant
1

Stripped pentalobe screw in bottom of iPhone

Hey have searched on here and cant seem to find a resolution on how to get a stripped pentalobe screw out of the bottom of an iphone 4 has anyone figured out what you require to be able to achieve this?

3

Mario T
235

I'm not familiar with iPhones, but I am intimately familiar with stripped screws. Depending on how big that screw is, you may be able to remove it with an "easy-out." I believe they may also get wordy with the descriptions and call them something ridiculous like "stripped bolt extractors." Usually the process involves predrilling the center of the screw and then inserting the easy-out into the hole. Step2: twist out, Step 3: Profit.

Try looking at major tool distributers like MSCDirect.com or just googling "easy-out." If you can't find one small enough, try finding a small LEFT-HANDED drill bit. This drill bit twists the opposite direction, so it should be able to grab that screw and twist it out.

Sadly, small tools tend to be as expensive as really big tools. That said, you might get lucky.

Good Luck!

Edited by: Mario T ( )

Thanks for that Mario T i will give it a go :-)

Grant,

0

Matt Barnes

You can try using a dremel to cut a small slot in the head of the screw, then use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the screw. That works pretty well for me anyway.

Edited by: Scott Dingle ( )

How big is that screw? You sir, much have WAY steadier hands than I to notch it with a dremel. 'course, I'm shakier than Paris Hilton's chihuahua.

Mario T,

0

remacberlin

Third possibility: drill the head off using a (approx) 1mm drill. Once the head is removed you can take the screen/digitizer off and remove the rest of the screw using pliers. Naturally you'll need a new screw then.

0

Josh Khalili
31

You can try this but i must warn you to be VERY CAUTIOUS in what you are doing. I used this method and it was successful for me, but then again, it was a small screw. *I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone* :)

Ok, so i took a power drill and used it on the top screw of the EMF protection shield. The screw was stripped so I took the smallest drill bit i could find that would just fit the circumference of the screw. Then, very carefully screw into it, completely making the screw into a bowl. Next, switched directions of the drill, used a little force and went slow....next thing i know the screw is out. You can try this but just be careful and don't break anything. GOOD LUCK! Let me Know if you need anything else....