3

Lim
49

What should I do if my iPhone4s got water damaged?

I just bought my iphone4s a few weeks ago and i accidentally soaked it with my jeans in the water for 3 to 4 hours. Now, it's not working at all. It's there any way to repair it?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , machead3 ( ) , Alex Jansen ( )

3

pollytintop

you need to do what ben suggests and you need to clean all the internal components gently/carefully to remove anything the water has left behind.. dirt/soap/calcium/copper etc...if you just dry the phone it may short/rust out later on. You can use distilled water/high % alcohol solution and soft brush..use any guide for an iphone 4, by the looks of things the concept is the same?http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Electronics_W..., this a 3g but it shows the residue/damage likely if you don't clean. Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

I'd also suggest getting a new battery..they just don't tend to like water and once you have a known working power source then trouble shooting will be easier. good luck and let us know how you get on .

I had the same problem. I first cleant it, replaced my battery and the phone started functioning for 2 days. After that it would only start when it is plugged for charging. I replaced the power management ic on the logic board and now everything is working fine. I also had problem with the dock as it used to sense docked and no voice on the speaker. that got fixed only by cleaning it. I still have a problem now. My phone heats up and the battery drains faster. I guess the battery is duplicate and thus will soon change it and see what happens

Anish,

6

Ben

Well, if it has been in water for just seconds, that'd be ok, but for several hours, not a good at all. There is little hope but try to save it.

Don't try to turn it on. That would cause short circuit and could kill it

Take off the battery as soon as possible.

Dry the iPhone and the motherboard as much as possible. That won't dry it at 100%.

I guess you don't have pentalobular screwdriver to do so, thanks Apple to let our iPhone die.

If you don't have one, get the iPhone 4/4S Liberation Kit, and change the pentalobular screws for standard phillips.

I strongly recommend you to buy the Thirsty Bag and follow the instruction thirsty-bag. It would completely dry it, if it's not too late.

Change the battery.

Give us some feedbacks

Thirsty Bag

Drying bag for liquid damaged electronics. The Thirsty Bag is a liquid absorption tool designed to dry all the water out of your phone after it gets wet, protecting it from liquid damage. The Thirsty Bag needs to be used immediately after an accident. Buy — 15 available at 9.95 each.

iPhone 4/4S Liberation Kit

All the parts and tools needed to replace the 5-point pentaobe screws on the bottom of your iPhone 4 or 4S with Phillips screws. This way, you won't need special tools if you have an iPhone repair emergency. Compatible with all iPhone 4 and 4S models. Inc — 50+ available at 9.95 each.

3

Florida iDoctor
265

We, at Florida iDoctor, do things a bit differently in terms of addressing water-damaged smartphones that make their way into our shop. You see, we are located in Palm Harbor, Florida and only a stones-throw away from the beach!

Of course, the first thing we tell our clients is IF your phone hits the water, to get it to us asap. Rice can work okay in a pinch, but the actual success rate using a bowl of rice is quite low if it were scientifically studied. Fresh water is bad for any smartphone. Pool water (with chlorine) is the next worse type of water infiltration. The most caustic of all water is salt water. Water with high levels of NaCl (salt) is very damaging to electronics due to the high level of corrosivity. Our recommendation is if your phone falls in salt water, to actually rinse it off under tap water in order to try and wash away some of the salt residual. We also ask them to remove the battery (if possible). One word of extreme caution...DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try and power on your phone to see if it still works no matter how tempting that may seem. You are certainly likely to short out motherboard components if current is applied through the circuits of a water-logged phone.

With that being said, once a client brings us their water-logged phone, the first thing we do is remove the battery. We then tear the phone down to the basic components (battery, frame, motherboard, cameras, etc). Once it is taken apart, we place the motherboard in an professional-grade ultrasonic cleaner using a proprietary dielectric cleaning fluid. This is one of the keys along with making sure the fluid is heated up. Once the board has come out of the ultrasonic cleaner, we rinse it off thoroughly with a deionized (DI) water. DI water is ultra pure and this rinse step will ensure that there are no trace contaminants on the board.

We then take the clean motherboard and put it into a container of desiccant along with all of the other components of the phone. We use a proprietary desiccant with the highest adsorption rate of any desiccant available on the market. This is super-critical so that you can wick away any moisture from the motherboard and the components as quickly AND EFFECTIVELY as possible.

We let everything sit in the desiccant for 24 hours to ensure complete moisture removal. Once complete, we reinstall all of the components and also install a NEW BATTERY (NOTE: We recommend never reinstalling the same battery once it has come into contact with water).

I hope this helps the readers of this great guide. We utilize iFixIt every day in repairing phones in our shop and therefore, we believe in contributing to this guide. If anyone needs further help with this process, simply let us know. Since our store is located near the Gulf of Mexico in Palm Harbor, FL we see water damaged iPhones in our shop every day. This process we listed here has achieved over a 74% success rate in restoring water damaged iPhones.

Rick

Florida iDoctor

Edited by: Florida iDoctor ( )

Florida iDoctor, Apple's price to replace the phone is sometime less than repair companies- and the phone has a 90 day warranty. What is the going rate to "dry out" an iPhone? I am not sure. I considered a local repair shop that is quite good, but they told me if they iced it and something else broke, I could not go back to Apple. If a non-Apple authorized repair shop fixes an iPhone and it breaks later, it cannot be brought back to the Apple store- and the cost of a new phone can be $649.

Learningmore,

0

enjoyxiao
1

1, the first time, removing the battery, not to the other keystrokes.

2 If only a few seconds of contact with water, slowly drying with a hair dryer, a day later on the battery and try to boot

3, if the opening is not, then go to the repair shop to repair. . Good luck,

A good mobile phone repair parts store; go for a search,

0

Brett
1

What you should do is put in rice for a day or two and hopefully the rice will suck out most of the water.

0

iPhoneOnCall
13

Best thing to do is to bring it to a repair shop asap and not turn it on because if you wait too long corrosion will start and even the screws will rust. If you do turn it on it might short out the logic board and you will have several problems with it afterwards but those you can fix as well.

Most common problems are:

1. No backlight due to shorting out the chips (requires soldering on new chips)

2. Not turning on

3. Not charging (requires soldering on new chips)

4. Screen don't work. (May have to change LCD or LCD connector

5. etc.

Basically if any of these are the problems then you will have to ask your local repair shop to see if they do soldering repairs.

Best of luck

0

vanish172
71

dont use a hair drier, it will only make it worse since it will allow residue to form faster, you need to dry it.

0

ahahaha
1

If your iPhone4s got water damaged, you have to remove the battery first. What's more,

you should slowly drying with a hair dryer, after one day, on the battery and try to boot.

If you are luck, your iPhone can use as usual.

SPAM removed

ahahaha, your advice is only marginal correct. You do not use a hair dryer to dry it. This will increase corrosion. The question is about the hardware, not about recovering the files. That is a different issue.

0

gasbyset
1

Apple does not repair iPhones, but will replace the entire iPhone for a flat fee; see the tutorials here:

How to Fix Water Damaged iPhone

There are independent iPhone repair services that may be able to replace the screen for less. Do a web search for "iPhone repair". Note, though, that if you elect to have the iPhone serviced by an unauthorized shop, all further support from Apple will be voided.

Regards.

Edited by: gasbyset ( )

0

Jerry
25

In case you drop the iPhone in water – turn it off immediately]

1.Get the iPhone out of the water as soon as you can and switch off the iPhone by pressing the top Sleep/Wake button for 5 seconds until you see the following screen, then slide to power oTurning off the iPhone as swiftly as possible is the single most important step to prevent water damage. Keeping it off for good couple of days after the incident is as crucial.

It is not water per se which damages the iPhone but the short-circuits which can be produced by the electricity running in the iPhone’s circuit board.

ff. Of course if the iPhone is already turned off don’t turn it on.

2.Dry off the iPhone with a towel or a piece of fabric. Do NOT use a hair-dryer, nor place the iPhone in an oven as the excess heat will damage the iPhone beyond repair

3 Grab a plastic bag, preferably a common zipper storage bag and fill it up with uncooked rice or alternatively, silica-gel packets. Place the iPhone in the plastic bag and make sure the device is fully immersed in the rice. If you cannot get hold of rice or silica, you can alternatively place the iPhone in a very dry and well ventilated place (i.e. a room used to dry clothes equipped with a cold-air blow fan)

4 Take out as much air as possible from the bag and zip it up. If you do not have a zipper bag, use a regular one, or as a last resort, a bowl

This Month: 2,072