0

jkiran37
1

F02 Error Code HE3 Elite Washer

I originally had Sud message on display. I left washer alone and eventually the message went away and I was left with error code F02. After research, I have found that this error code is due to not draining. I have done all the suggested things to make sure that drain is not plugged up or kinked etc.. I cannot find any "clean out" on my model washer. I have checked and the drum spins freely if I turn it by hand. Any other suggestions I can try or do I have to get a service technician to come out and look at it?

Edited by: iRobot ( ) , mayer, rj713, osvaldo, and pollytintop ( )

6

F/02 error code potential causes

Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked

Check the electrical connections at the pump and make sure the pump is running.

Check the drain pump filter for foreign objects

If the above does not correct the problem replace the pump

I would start by taking the lower front panel off. There are two bolts, one on each side of the panel, remove those. Once you have the panel removed, you will see a white plastic unit, that is your pump assembly. You should also see a round plug with a plastic tab across the front. That is your coin trap. Open the cap by twisting it counterclockwise and remove it. It may just be clogged.

You can download the service manual from from here. and there is further information on here

I just had the same problem. I did all the above including cleaning out the coin trap, the only thing I found was a small plastic thing about the size of a multi-vitamin and some gunk buildup on the sides, which i cleaned out, put everything back together and it seems to be working fine now. Doesn't seem like that small thing would have caused all that problem, but at least it's working fine now. Thank you for your guidance. Sure wish there was a way to deal with the water that came out of the trap, I used a very shallow tray to slide under the washer to catch most of it, had to mop up the rest - oh well, floor is clean now :)

SandyK,

This site (and the people who contribute) are lifesavers. Thank you. Using the guidance above, I removed the lower panel (mine had three bolts) and coin trap cover (be prepared for water) and found a small amount of the expected debris in the coin trap. Not enough, I thought, to block the flow. Poking around, I felt something soft in the short pipe between the coin trap canister and the pump, which turnd out to be one of my wife's trouser stockings. Bottom line, the coin trap isn't a very good guard filter for the pump. To be fair to Kenmore, this unit has been in routine use for more than nine years, and this is the first problem.

Martin,

you are welcome :-)

I can't find any bolts or screws holding on the bottom front panel. Can anyone help?

JoAnn,

JoAnn, I posted a picture with the screw location to the original answer. It is from the service manual that you can download, by clicking on the link in the original answer. Hope this helps, good luck.

0

Brian
1

I had the F02 error. After taking the cap off the coin trap, and the drain hose off the drum (only to find they were perfectly clean), I found 2 of my daughters socks jammed between the door gasket and the drum itself!! I guess I solved the mystery of the disappearing socks! So, before taking everything apart you might as well check there first.

THANK YOU! Worked great for us. We had some kind of skinny metal piece (perhaps a mangled paperclip?) stuck in the trap. Glad I read about the water warnings. I took a stack of towels and kinda jammed them around the trap and very slowly opened it, letting the towel soak up the water. I'd then retighten the trap, replace the towel, and repeat until it had drained (I filled an entire laundry basket with wet towel rags). Now I just need to cancel that service request to Sears!

saharantea,

0

Mike
1

You can try to blow on the drain line and dislodge what maybe keeping it from draining.

0

Bobbie
1

In addition to emptying out the trap, my holes were clogged a bit so I had to scrub that as well

0

Kathy
1

Thanks for all the help ... The Solution to Error F-02 worked great...ran a cycle with no cloths and it worked fine..I added a load of cloths on a normal cycle and now it is giving me a error of F-01..Now what?

0

lety
1

Thank you for your help, washer is now working!!!!!!

0

Linda
1

Thanks sooo much for this help. My washer showed the F 02 error code starting a couple of days ago. I was just resetting my machine to get it through the load. It took forever. Found this, opened the trap. It's a wonder the machine was working at all. I found a rusted bottle cap(the rust completely cover one hole), 2 nickels. a couple of sticks(toothpicks?), a triangle of fabric(whatever that came from!), and just a whole bunch of lint. Yuck! Haven't tried another load yet, but it better work better!

0

Asher Miller
1

One additional tip: set up a bucket under the filter trap housing (say, in the utility drawer underneath the washer) before you open it up, lest ye piddle water all over the floor.

You'll need to unseat the filter/pump assembly and then tip it forward to allow the water to clear the floor of the washer chassis. On the HE3t, it's secured to the chassis floor with one T20 screw.

No need to disconnect the hoses or plugs; there's enough slack to keep everything connected.

Remove the screw, slide the assembly forward out of its mount, then tip it down a little. (There's a bunch of wires in a plastic frame running laterally in front of the pump/trap assembly. But don't worry: you already unplugged the power cord, right?) Unscrew the trap cover a little (Don't remove it completely!) and let the water out. Tighten it back up to stop the flow so you can empty your bucket. (Ours took three or four trips to the slop sink to drain all the way.)

When it's empty, remove the cap and clean out the trap. (Our trophy: one very old, very nasty facecloth.)

Slide the pump/trap assembly back into its mount, replace the T20 screw and the lower front panel, and you should be back in the laundry business.

0

Doug
1

Thanks, this worked great. I found an old sock and other gunk in the filter.

0

Catherine Albers
1

Thank You everyone!!

I fixed the washer but it did create quite the mess! Definitely would have used a shop vac if I had one!

:)

0

gary
1

my washer is blinking an F then DL what does the code mean?

0

Vickie Kindl
1

We kept getting F02 error and I just kept resetting and it would work. But this time it just wasn't working anymore. I found this suggestion to clean the drain/coin trap and my husband just did that and it seems to be working fine now! I thought we were going shopping for sure and it was such an easy (although dirty) solution! Thank you for saving us some money! :-)

0

Rex
1

I position a trash bag under the pump and let the water run into that. Works well

0

Prawner House
1

I cant thank you enough for this! I opened the bottom of the machine (mine had 3 security screws), cleaned the trap and viola, machine is working like new. I had a sock, 3 pennies, and a couple bobby pins in there. The manual does not explain how to do this simple procedure... Im assuming because they want you to pay for the service tech to come out. Anyways, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to help! By the way, anyone looking to do this procedure, if your machine is on the floor and not raised, be prepared for a huge water mess if your machine errored out before it could drain. Get many, many towels lined up ready for use.

0

Renea Ericson
1

OMG this just saved me hundreds of dollars! The trap was full of crap. THANK YOU!

0

Dom
1

At first I though it didn't work.

Some junk got passed the filter and jammed the pump, stuck my finger in there and helped it turn and now works like a charm.

0

David Hinson
1

I had the code too. My problem was a failed pump. It was making a racket and running so hot it smelled like melting plastic. After shutting it down and dismantling the pump I stuck my finger inside to feel the impeller and it was shifting around in a way that didn't seem right. I think the shaft broke.

The good news is the pump was easy to replace myself. I ordered the assembly from Sears Parts Direct for $180 with priority shipping. Got it in 3 days. All parts needed for complete replacement were included. Replacement worked great.

Note that you will need to open two heavy duty hose clamps so be prepared ahead of time. If you have car radiator type hose clamp pliers then you should be set. Otherwise you'll need something like small locking vice grips (what I used). You probably won't be able to do it with simple pliers because you won't be able to get enough hands inside to make the hose changes.

I was really ticked that the pump only lasted about 4 years on this lightly-used high-end unit. However the ease of repair and part ordering somewhat redeemed Sears. $180 was a bit pricey for this plastic assembly I think but it sure beat $500+ and a 10 day wait to have Sears service fix it. (I have a not so happy story with a Sears dishwasher.)

0

prettiwitty
1

Th information provided in the answer by OldTurkey was right on. I did as he suggested and was amazed at the things found in the trap. What is sad is that we had purchased a new washer and dryer that same day because the washer was working so poorly-- even telling the saleslady of how our washer was acting she did not mention a trap-- until I saw the access door on the newer models and she told me it was for the drain trap. Made me look up the error code and found the above answer. Ours was clogged very full, and had skunky water that made the whole washer smell bad. It is working great now.

0

Debbie G
1

Thank you so much! OldTurkey was exactly right. I think I superclogged the filter by washing an old cotton bedspread that deteriorated too much and started falling apart into clumps of fiber.

When we bought this washer in 2005, we went with the Sears 5-yr maintenance. NOT ONCE did the Sears repair person that came for regular maintenance look at or even mention this filter. What a simple fix to a big problem.

Everything is working great (I am currently washing the towel that got wet during the fix). I will make certain we check this on a regular basis.

Thank you again!

0

jffvoigt
1

I couldn't believe the amount of crap in the trap absolutely amazing ---three pencil pieces over one inch long, a quarter, two dimes, and a couple pennies. I had a cement worker living with me for a time and it was plugged with cement, plastic, steel and I am sure this was the problem. This kind of thing makes the internet great!!!

0

saguilar
1

Thank you SO much for answering my washing machine's cry for help! It has done laundry for four active kids plus parents for ten years without any complaints...until now. We followed your advice and checked the pump filter and eureka!...a sock. A SOCK! So, I think we have solved the missing sock mystery. Those pesky socks will do anything to escape!

Edited by: saguilar ( )

0

Amanda
1

Wow, my husband and I just got done with the process. It saved us $1500, I was ready to pay out for a new set, but this really does work. Our machine kept getting the error, we took the front piece off and unscrewed the trap and cleaned it out and it is running great. But the one thing that I will say, when the previous person said have many, many towels, be ready to have every one that you have, because we practically flooded out entire laundry room. It is a nasty cleaning but it will save you a bundle. Thanks so much for this wonderful advice, it is so greatly appreciated.

0

Darin
1

I cleaned out the trap. There was some stuff in it, but not too bad. I put it back and it still won't drain. I can hear the pump, but it sounds funny.

What else can I do besides assuming I have to replace the pump? I'd like to try everything before spending the money on a replacement pump.

Where do you buy a replacement pump?

0

allison bellefontaine
1

Ours did the same thing as Darin's machine. When you are standing in front of the machine look to the back right of machine there is a approx. 2 ft. long black tube. It was filled with water. My husband blew into it to clear it out and then the machine started working perfectly again. Now before doing all this we cleaned out the trap too but there was nothing to speak of in it. GOOD LUCK!

0

Carolina
1

Thank you so much for this post! We too were about to go buy a new washer today, and before we went I googled 02 F and this page popped up. We had already replaced the boot so we were aware of how to access the works of the washer. We could not believe how much stuff was in the trap. Coins, bobbie pins, dog hair, etc. Cleaned it our and it is back to working great! Thank You oldturkey03. You saved us a lot of $$$ (which we didn't have right after Christmas).

0

Daniel
1

Before opening the filter trap use a shop vac to suck out the water remaining in the unit by sucking it through the drain hose at the wall. It will save you from a big mess.

0

henry
1

did the accepted answer although i would call it a cap not a plug as it was about 3 inches in diameter but right behind the lower cover to the the left of the drain pump my cover had 3 screws no big deal in the cap !@#'y was a mass of crud black crap dog hair it stunk there were other pieces of crud and even a small kids sock dont know how that would even get in the drain line but alas all is well and i am just running a few clothless cycles to flush the system once again the power of the net and the networkers which is the people using it found a workable solution thanks to all

0

Dylan
1

Thanks so much for your help! I just cleaned out that little trap on the front and now its working like a champ. Can't even guess how much money you just saved me. Thanks again!!

-Dylan

0

Bruce
1

Thank you for this advice worked great!!! To help drain the washer, hit the drain and spin button on the washer and then start. The water will slowly drain without the use of the pump. By the time the spin cycle starts, hit cancel, remove the front panel and less than a cup full of water will be in the pump. Minor cleanup.

0

Jason Silverio
1

The following is what fixed my washer.

1. Clean the drain filter, check all hoses for blockage. Including the main hose at bottom

where the pump is hooked. Basically clean the whole assembly.

result: got me to the wash cycle but still sud and then f02 when it's time to rinse.

2. Double check if the drain pump is working and verified at the beginning of the cycle

that it is efficiently draining water by looking at the outlet.

3. Based of my researh it seems like the sud will show up if it thinks that there are more

suds. You can tell this when you hear the drain pump run for about 5 minutes even though there are no more water. After this it will throw the f02 and will not continue to the rinse and spin cycle.

I read somewhere about the switch sensor could cause this if there is blockage. Switch sensor is located at the top right corner inside the washer. You will have to remove the top cover as well as the back cover to do this. (quite easy just screws). It has a little black drain hose. I disconnected this hose and follow where it is connected and viola there is a little canister attachment and it is full of gunk. There is only one screw holding it. Take it out and clean the gunk. Make sure the tubing are free of bubbles too by blowing air on it. Including where it attaches to the sensor. Make sure you have a pan when you take out that canister as there will be water there.

After doing this my washer worked like a charm! The key is to do all the steps to save you from buying anything else until you are absolutely sure which part is the problem. I know the sensor switch is working because it switches with other steps except when it detects the sud. This alone is an indicator that it is somehow clogged.

0

Aaron Lockwood
1

I did the trap clean out and that still didn't fix it. I ended up taking off the back panel and there's a black hose plugged into a reservoir that's held on with a single screw and had an o-ring seal. That reservoir was completely clogged with grey sludge. I cleaned it out and it's working fine now.

0

Joe
1

Well let's see, about 8 coins, pen parts, air soft pellets, broken toothbrush and half of a clothespin... That is what was in the trap when I went to clean it out. Removed everything. No more error code and working again! Thank you much.

0

EdTTims
1

Things I tried:

1. Trap clean out

2. Cleaned all drain tubes

3. Snaked the drain line

4. Drain pump bench test

5 2' Black hose clear

6. Reservoir with single screw. That's the one.

The reservoir was clogged. Thanks to the previous post.

Moral of the story:

1. We're switching to HE soap. (Duh)

2. Use a very bright light to see if tubes are clogged.

This Month: 1,136