0

tjod
69

Repair/replace card door Olympus E-510 DSLR

The card door on my Olympus E-510 DSLR has lost the two tabs that engage the catch that keep the door closed. Looking for information on how to replace the door. Thanks!

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , rj713, qpunk, mayer, and oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( )

Thanks, David I had found the replacement cover on eBay (it's shipping today) and the instructions help, too. Thanks. I've always like Olympus, and still have OM-1, OM-2, and a new EPL2. They fit my hand just right, and I like the way they think. Tim

tjod,

2

David Hodson
62k

I found a replacement door on Ebay for $15, and some general disassembly instructions. The specific repair was done to replace an LCD, so I'm not sure how much of it will apply to you. Feel free to take lots of pictures when you fix yours and create your own guide!

Kudos for rocking the Olympus DSLR, by the way. I have an E-420 myself, and I love it.

Edited by: David Hodson ( )

0

Torvald Bie
1

I have done it, replaced the card door I mean.

I followed the "general disassembly instructions" in the answer from Tom Hodson. Many thanks for that link.

After removing all the screws as instructed, I lifted the back cover just a fraction at the card door end of the camera. I then was able to remove the old card door and put in a new with ease.

0

Richard Ballucanag
1

I also used the same procedure to replace my CF card door for my Olympus E-420 and it worked nicely. Two notes: 1) make sure to keep track where the screws go because they are of different lengths. 2) it's disconcerting that the CF door is held in place by two small pieces of plastic that don't seem too sturdy.

0

Ian Jones
1

Just replaced the door on my E420 - good advice above - likewise only necessary to ease the cover open a little to fit the new door - not a big job. General Disassembly instructions above state "Remove the three screws from the card compartment"; there's only two on the E420.

Just for anyone that hasn't realised, I had to change the door because I kept getting a warning that the card cover was open. This was caused by wear on the card door latch.

0

Jerri Sue
1

I have the same problem but I did not receive any directions with my card so can somebody help

I can't find any one to help my camera is an Olympus e-420 ?

0

John Hollingsworth
1

Thanks David for the link!

Torvald: Good tip! No need to completely remove the back.

Richard: Thanks for the heads up on screw length.

Ian: I don't know about the 420 but on the 510 the 3rd screw was difficult to find. It's on top, sort of under the strap link.

I'm VERY unhappy with the design of this door. I don't abuse my camera and yet the little plastic tab broke off. And it's not easy to find a new door. Terrible design by Olympus!

Edited by: John Hollingsworth ( )