0

rob cook
11

Why doesn't my iMac G4 start up from a DVD

I am trying to erase the hard drive in my iMac G4 and re-install a clean system. I have tried several times to start it up from the iMac OS X install DVD (system 10.1.2)and also the iMac software restore disk, (holding down 'C' key)but it keeps booting from the hard drive and ignores the DVD. My Mac still has duel systems installed OS X (10.3.9) and 9 (Classic mode)- is this causing the problem, please help?

Edited by: rob cook ( )

0

rab777hp

Try holding down option and see what that gives you, it should go to the boot selector, in which case you should select the DVD.

2

mayer

Go under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to "about this Mac". more info > Hardware > ATA and see if your Mac still sees the drive. If not you may need to replace it. An alternative is to get an external optical drive. To can also start it up in Target mode if you have another Mac and use Disk Utilities on the other machine to handle this G4s hard drive. Here's how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661